Prison wardens dismissed for rape, drugs and smuggling

webfact

Prison wardens dismissed for rape, drugs and smuggling

By PIYANUCH TAMNUKASETCHAI 
THE NATION

ec93f310579e019acc519a1fe47ba313.jpg

File photo

FOURTEEN prison wardens found guilty of serious misconduct were sacked without benefits, while four others were dismissed from the civil service but kept their benefits, and 193 were hit with lighter disciplinary punishments, Corrections Department chief Pol Colonel Narat Sawetanan said yesterday.

Following the department’s first civil service sub-commission meeting this year, Narat said the serious misconduct of 18 wardens had been discussed followed by a decision to sack 14. 

One warden had collected bribes from inmates’ relatives in exchange for providing better living conditions behind bars, while another faced a complaint for allegedly collecting an illegal fee from a shoe-making business that hired inmates. 

Three other wardens were found to have allowed inmates to use cell phones in prison, two others smuggled a cell phone into a prison, and another was found to have links to four cell phones, SIM cards and chargers found in a prisoner’s cell.

Three more were absent from official duty for more 15 days, while another was sentenced to one year in prison for forging state documents.

More serious crimes included one warden guilty of having smuggled 1,993 tramadol pills into prison, and another that was found guilty of rape.

The sub-commission also dismissed a warden from the civil service over adultery and three others for “disgraceful behaviour”, ranging from sneaking cell phone batteries into prison, telling people who were not inmates that he could procure drugs including “yaba”, and being linked to banned items.

Of the 193 wardens subjected to disciplinary punishment, eight faced a permanent salary reduction, 36 faced salary cuts temporarily, eight were put on probation, 73 were assigned extra shifts, two were temporarily banned from certain areas and 14 received formal warnings. The final 52 received verbal warnings. 

Narat said the department tried to prevent corruption and the introduction of contraband at prisons but some wardens would “go astray”. 

He added that the department would punish wrongdoers to boost the public’s confidence in the department and its officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338352

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-09

So what about the rapist then? Am pretty sure that is up there as 1 of the most hinous crimes going, and you could infer that the rapist was sacked, but on th contrary he could have only got a verbal warning. Dreadful reporting as per usual               

Above as below...

Same in schools where kids are given passing scores without trying, admitted to better schools if they pay the bribes...

Exemplary society, and I am living here. When I go back home it will be easy to turn a blind eye seeing how I am exposed to this crap.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

while four others were dismissed from the civil service but kept their benefits

Why?  Is there no branch of Thai civil authorities that is not corrupt and self-serving?  Could it be disciplinary procedures are insufficient? 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I always maintend that many prison's guards all over the world are sometimes

worse than the inmates they suppose to guard...

I agree I use to rent a room in Australia from a lady prison Warden She was dismissed last year from the service for having regular sex with 8 inmates. Mind you she was fat and ugly Only chance she got i suppose. They prob told her she was beautiful and open came the legs. Come in boys i love you.:cheesy:

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Narat said the department tried to prevent corruption and the introduction of contraband at prisons but some wardens would “go astray”. 

Rape, exploitation of prisoners for labour and drug running are not going “astray”.

They are criminal offences worthy of lengthy gaol sentences. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the department would punish wrongdoers to boost the public’s confidence in the department and its officials.

Yer... right.... and yet no one seems to have been charged with anything and thrown in jail

are the public really this stupid?

or is it the department that’s stupid?

or is stupidity a much larger problem?

or is it just me that’s stupid?

once the NACC has finished white washing prawit, they can ratify this insult to the people, as well.

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

211 out of...?

if there are only 500 of them it's a lot, if there are 50,000, not so much.  OK, there shouldn't be any, but perspective is needed.

There are only 144 prisons so I doubt there would be tens of thousands of wardens :coffee1:

I always maintend that many prison's guards all over the world are sometimes
worse than the inmates they suppose to guard...

As you said, this sh1t is going in prisons all over the world, maybe at bit more in South-America, Asia and Africa.

But i am not so sure whether corrupt wardens are worse than e.g. the reign of terror in US prisons by likes of the aryian brotherhood or MS-13.

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

So to all of you posters that say the Junta has done nothing to fight corruption or has only gone after those that are opposing him, here is yet another example that you are full of BS.

How do you know that this has anything to do with the junta?

17 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

I agree I use to rent a room in Australia from a lady prison Warden She was dismissed last year from the service for having regular sex with 8 inmates. Mind you she was fat and ugly Only chance she got i suppose. They prob told her she was beautiful and open came the legs. Come in boys i love you

I use a couple of glasses of good wine, there good leg openers

Archived