Phuket ghostriders in the spotlight

webfact

Phuket ghostriders in the spotlight

Chutharat Plerin

1518081359_1-org.jpg

Accidents caused by ‘ghostriders’ are being targeted in the latest push to improve road safety in Phuket. Photo: Phuket Traffic Line Group

PHUKET: Motorbike “ghostriders” – motorbike riders who drive against the flow of traffic – are to be targeted after it was revealed the act results in some 100 injuries each year in just one area in Phuket alone.

The Vice President of road-safety organisation “Road Safety Thai” and the Tha Chatchai Police announced the news following discussions on a public Line group between police, local government officials, road-safety campaigners and members of the public regarding the number of accidents occurring due to ghostriding.

However, for now, the target area will be focused on Srisoonthorn, where most ghostriding accidents in Phuket occur.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ghostriders-in-the-spotlight-65895.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-09

What gets me is that someone has to be told that riding against the flow of traffic is wrong. I think it just highlights the careless/stupid attitude toward one's own well being, but more importantly the disregard for another person's safety/life. Ho hum.

These ghostriders really are dangerous.  They force motorbikes going the correct way out into the way of faster moving traffic, which forces that traffic over to fast lane and boom, accident occurs without the ghostrider even being in the incident. Of course these lazy dumbass ghostriders also get into accidents, but they cause many where they never have a collision themselves.

The other day I was walking out from a shop and waiting on traffic coming from the right.  When it was clear to step out, a ghostrider moving quite fast from the left missed me by 10 cm.  Then the idiot has the nerve to give me the stink eye for almost getting hit by him as he's going the wrong direction.

Unfortunately this "crackdown" is hot air for 99.999 percent of locations where this occurs on the island.

The police stopped me many times to tell me i have to keep lept (and sometimes they demanded 200 baht or i would get a ticket).

How can they force motocydrivers to keep lept while they allow many others to drive there against traffic???? It's like telling pedestrians to go walk on the highway.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

However, for now, the target area will be focused on Srisoonthorn, where most ghostriding accidents in Phuket occur.

So in the rest of Thailand it's fine to be a ghostrider? 

Why is mr Prayuth not stopping this nonsense?? Or is he proud to be the leader of the hub of deadly roadaccidents?

posted this before but well worth a reminder, when i was in BANGKOK there was a cop who rode most days up RAMA 4 against traffic to get to his police box at soi 71  junction, one day he was on the pavement nearly ran me over, so need to get their own house in order

You can whitness people riding over red light, without helmet, in the wrong direction or diagonal over a big intersection all the while a police officer is standing there and watching the whole spectacle on Thepkrasattri Road at the traffic light not far from the muslim school every single day. In fact, look near pretty much any such school and you will see something similar. The vast majority of people in these communities evidently don't care much about road safety. Which is even more sad because a lot of kids are put at risk. And the kids learn from small already that they don't have to follow any rules or laws apart from their community.

This post might have seemed racist or against religion to some, but I can guarantee you that these are just hard facts. Anyone doubting it can just go there any day and watch the madness.

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You can whitness people riding over red light, without helmet, in the wrong direction or diagonal over a big intersection all the while a police officer is standing there and watching the whole spectacle on Thepkrasattri Road at the traffic light not far from the muslim school every single day. In fact, look near pretty much any such school and you will see something similar. The vast majority of people in these communities evidently don't care much about road safety. Which is even more sad because a lot of kids are put at risk. And the kids learn from small already that they don't have to follow any rules or laws apart from their community.

This post might have seemed racist or against religion to some, but I can guarantee you that these are just hard facts. Anyone doubting it can just go there any day and watch the madness.

What's even more frightening is the whole local community by the school/mosque/temple/7-11 would be up in arms if fines started to get handed out to every offender.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

The issue is that police here don't multi-task. If they're on traffic control duty that is exactly what they will do and it doesn't matter if a family of five on a bike, all without helmets, drive straight past the cop; nothing will happen because that's not his job at that time. You see it at every school, every market and every branch of Supercheap.

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

What gets me is that someone has to be told that riding against the flow of traffic is wrong. I think it just highlights the careless/stupid attitude toward one's own well being, but more importantly the disregard for another person's safety/life. Ho hum.

They don't know that they are wrong,,,,, they are born into this, they have been doing this All their life ,,,Like soooo many Other things that are Wrong ,It's just Normal to them.The Stupid Cops doing  the same one can see this Every day down here. It's a Miracle that there are not more Road kills .They will stay number one, and this year they will get the Gold Medal

On 09/02/2018 at 9:55 AM, eisfeld said:

The real problem is.......you can't fix stupid!

Archived