Crying black leopard image appears at ITD construction site

webfact

Crying black leopard image appears at ITD construction site

By The Nation

5afcc455b2ee189515004440f67497cc-sld.jpe

A canvas dust screen at an Italian-Thai Development Plc (ITD) construction site in Bangkok was painted with an illustration of what appeared to be a crying black leopard with a bullet hole in its head.

The protest artwork was spotted on Thursday afternoon at the company’s construction site at the mouth of Soi Phahonyothin 34, near the site of the company’s work building Sena Nikom Station in the northern expansion of the BTS Skytrain Green Line.

It is believed that an angry person or persons may have painted the image to express their anger against ITD president Premchai Karnasuta.

The leader of one of Thailand’s largest construction companies has been charged, along with three companions, for alleged illegal poaching in the Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary, possession of hunting rifles – and possession of the carcass of the highly endangered black leopard and other animals.

The image was also posted on “A CALL for Animal Rights Thailand” Facebook page and received more than 4000 shares on Thursday. The post drew a lot of comments expressing people’s fury against Premchai.

ITD has built many well-known infrastructure projects, including Suvarnabhumi Airport, the BTS Skytrain system, and multiple expressway and highway projects across the country.

In 2017 alone, ITD won several mega-infrastructure projects worth a combined Bt130 billion, including the Bt35-billion Mae Moh power plant project.

Social media users have launched a campaign to boycott ITD but the government said it is too early for them to consider blacklisting ITD from acquiring state contracts following the arrest of its president. The government said the issue was a personal matter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338394

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-09

7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Well that is a hell of a leap of logic.

Well, the general view of the amart is that the uneducated phrai must be "angry" if they voice their opinion, especially if that opinion somehow shames someone higher up.

It's called "Thai-ness", I guess.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

"It is believed that an angry person or persons may have painted the image to express their anger against ITD president Premchai Karnasuta."

Well that is a hell of a leap of logic.

This same company has a poor track record of employee injuries and employee death associated with it's work. Maybe the picture was painted by a less than happy employee / employees? 

Just now, scorecard said:

This same company has a poor track record of employee injuries and employee death associated with it's work. Maybe the picture was painted by a less than happy employee / employees? 

Yes, if i was complaining about their safety record, i would definitely of thought of a Black Panther as a sign.

As an aside this companies safety record is no worse than many of the firms, the fact they are so large and are working on such high profile and large schemes means when they do have an incident then it is headline news and likely to be a large spectacular incident. 

7 hours ago, JAG said:

I'm not a great fan of graffiti as a rule, but there are times when it is a jolly effective way of making a point...

There's mindless scrawl on walls and then there's a whole spectrum of graffiti up to high-end art that makes poignant and timeless cultural and political statements, some of which can stop the viewer in their tracks with its societal reflection. What Thailand needs right now is a thousand Banksy's....that would certainly give the junta a few colly-wobbles in the night. :shock1: For now, the crying black panther is a good start....:clap2:

There seems to be another image of this crying panther.

I saw it credited to Workpoint News. It's described as being in the same place (soi phahonyothin 34), but perhaps it was taken later when it had been completed?

I don't want to post a link in case it's not allowed, but if you look on Facebook for Workpoint News Thailand you'll find it.

edit: Looking at both images again, they don't look to me as though they're at the same location - the background behind the image looks different, and also the rope holding the 'canvas' to the frame has been tied differently.

50 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's listed as having the premiere on 16th February - only a week away.

Should also not forget the black panther star of Cat People:  

Hopefully, karma will be reasserted and PK will find himself tied up against that tree for a pride of panthers to get their revenge when his time comes, even if he eludes the Thai justice system. Certainly no shortage of flesh to satiate their hunger......

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Yes, if i was complaining about their safety record, i would definitely of thought of a Black Panther as a sign.

As an aside this companies safety record is no worse than many of the firms, the fact they are so large and are working on such high profile and large schemes means when they do have an incident then it is headline news and likely to be a large spectacular incident. 

May I be the first to welcome P. Premchai to our humble forum.

We are honoured to see your posts.

Archived