What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?

The same as you did with the Bridge and Dart Players, in this case, confiscate the boats, problem solved!

But first, better advise the top of the tree that the envelopes will be getting smaller; good luck with that one.

"What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?"
The title is indeed insulting, and wide of the mark.
Many of the measures mentioned as under consideration may help alleviate the damage, but it is wrong headed to blame the ""ignorant" foreign tourists".
It is 100% Thai ignorance and lack of foresight  that is to blame. Ignorance on the part of the regulators, if there really are such, of those whose job it is to maintain and preserve these areas.
Ignorance and/or indifference on the part of the various tour operators.
Just this morning we read about three Thai women fined for disporting themselves atop a Mountain Coral for a photo op. They indicated ignorance that it was a coral as opposed to a big rock, apologised, fined, and we are done with that episode. No shame, and they will not do it again.
My point is that there is no shame in ignorance. Learn, educate, revise, move on.
The shame is in not accepting responsibility but rather trying to deflect "blame" on really rather innocent parties. As has been mentioned in other commentary, the ""ignorant" foreign tourists" do not for the greatest part bring themselves to these fragile environments.
By all means limit the traffic. Educate and license the operators. Stop letting an exaggerated notion of face saving inhibit right action and deflect energy and resources from effectively dealing with the problems.
My opinions.

Everything I wanted to said been said, but seriously- too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?

Do the people that always blame the tourists that can only get anywhere on THAI transport realise how foolish that is? If they want to look at the guilty parties, look in the mirror.

Don't you just love one of their "solutions" spread them out to different areas

so they can damage the whole bloody lot.

Ever think about restricting access ???????

The almighty $ rules

Kill the goose that lays the golden egg

Just as well in 20 years Myanmar will open up its beautiful coastline as Thailand's  will be ruined

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Don't you just love one of their "solutions" spread them out to different areas

so they can damage the whole bloody lot.

Ever think about restricting access ???????

The almighty $ rules

Kill the goose that lays the golden egg

Just as well in 20 years Myanmar will open up its beautiful coastline as Thailand's  will be ruined

On a different thread a Thai official admitted they can't close Maya Bay long enough to let it recover because they'd be losing money.

18 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

My point is that there is no shame in ignorance. Learn, educate, revise, move on.
The shame is in not accepting responsibility but rather trying to deflect "blame" on really rather innocent parties.

And this is the crux of it. The main reason why this country, as much as I love it, will never fully reach its potential. Even in generations to come. The whole 'saving face',  lack of accountability, and shifting the blame by nearly the whole population is inherent in the culture. It will be VERY hard to change. 

"A ban on visits to just one place - visits should be spread out to several islands and beaches so that all could take the strain"

Wait so they are going open up tourism on the other beaches and mess them up 2 save a different one Thai logic at its best.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Transferring the blame or passing the buck - it just shows how "ignorant" the authorities are when it comes to managing tourism

Untrammelled development and little or no regulation is rapidly depleting the natural resources that made Thailand initially so popular.

A case of defecating in one's own nest.

Have a look in the mirror Thailand. How many speed boat operators are there at tourist resorts, belting around at 100mph, and that doesn't destroy wild life and fishery stocks?

But NO blame the tourists, the operators are not to blame, never

31 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

"What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?"
The title is indeed insulting, and wide of the mark.
Many of the measures mentioned as under consideration may help alleviate the damage, but it is wrong headed to blame the ""ignorant" foreign tourists".
It is 100% Thai ignorance and lack of foresight  that is to blame. Ignorance on the part of the regulators, if there really are such, of those whose job it is to maintain and preserve these areas.
Ignorance and/or indifference on the part of the various tour operators.
Just this morning we read about three Thai women fined for disporting themselves atop a Mountain Coral for a photo op. They indicated ignorance that it was a coral as opposed to a big rock, apologised, fined, and we are done with that episode. No shame, and they will not do it again.
The shame is in not accepting responsibility but rather trying to deflect "blame" on really rather innocent parties. As has been mentioned in other commentary, the ""ignorant" foreign tourists" do not for the greatest part bring themselves to these fragile environments.
By all means limit the traffic. Educate and license the operators. Stop letting an exaggerated notion of face saving inhibit right action and deflect energy and resources from effectively dealing with the problems.
My opinions.

To add,   agree with what you posted----Please do not transport 200 Chinese on a boat there---you are asking for mega problems

“An E-ticket system of advance booking so that visits could be spread out“

OK less crowds still the same amount of people damaging things

“A ban on visits to just one place - visits should be spread out to several islands and beaches so that all could take the strain“

Now all the beaches are full of litter and spoilt

"Better daily scheduling of visits to places so that overcrowding is limited“

So thats basically the same as the first Ideal

"Operators and guides should train the tourists in appropriate behavior when down at the beach or snorkeling“

Well I thought they did they did when I went on a trip there years ago it was all obvious anyway and if you don't have that comen sense you won't listen anyway.

"Closure of certain areas at certain times of the year to help the environment recover"

Thats about the only one what makes sense.

The simple answer less tourist limit the amount of tickets sold. I can't see any other way around it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

That fishing was certainly done by foreigners.

Why do you say that? Do you have documentation?
One of the issues in the EU threat to ban Thai fisheries products in 2015 was the use of destructive fishing methods, including blast and cyanide fishing.

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

How do the "ignorant foreign" tourists, and informed Thai tourists get to these places if not with the assistance of Thai tourist operators? 

Maybe, just maybe the emphasis is on the wrong part of the equation.

Maybe, just maybe, if you read the OP you would realize that all the proposals are aimed at the operators and none of them at the tourists.

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

How do the "ignorant foreign" tourists, and informed Thai tourists get to these places if not with the assistance of Thai tourist operators? 

Maybe, just maybe the emphasis is on the wrong part of the equation.

It's called saving face! You should know by now Thais cannot take blame for anything!!!

Problem will be solved, when there's nothing left for Thai's to exploit or take.  Build a new airport, devise a "new hub", bring on the tourist income.  If it can be sold or eaten, it's days are numbered...TIT

Perhaps the first step would be to restrain the ignorant indigenous tour operators from encouraging/selling activities which damage the environment?

Well written!Another major step....Regulatory measures...only authorized outlets selling restricted number of tickets...slowly streamlining the whole operation!

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Problem: Too many tourists
Solution: Limit the numbers of tourists
THAI solution: Charge more!

What problem?
They got same solution for all the problems

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Archived