What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists spoiling Thailand's marine life?

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, webfact said:

and ignorance of the tourists in understanding environmental protection matters.

Oh Really? Pass the blame along.

How about governmental authorities start by educating tour operators? And perhaps limiting operators numbers to visit 'enviromentally risky' areas? Can only take tour boats to these areas by special permit only? Any number of 'protectionist' measures can be put in place.

But, money is god in the Kingdom! So, keep on blaming 'everyone else'. :post-4641-1156693976:

On 2/9/2018 at 5:01 PM, ajarnmarc said:

No mention about the tons of garbage I've personally seen dumped from the ferries each day, 

while traveling from Donsak to Samui on the last ferry of the day, 

The Thai staff transfer all the trash bags from all the ferries used throughout the day, 

onto the last ferry running that evening,

which they then proceed to dump each bag overboard on the trip.

That’s <deleted> scandalous. Take a video next time and post anonymously on TV/Youtube etc. Seems to be the way to get things done in Thailand. 

A typical "thai solution". The problem is the tourists, not we who take them there and anchor boats on the reef and empty the toilets directly out in the sea. Is there any thai that are smarter than a 10 years western schoolgirl?

4 minutes ago, Parsve said:

A typical "thai solution". The problem is the tourists, not we who take them there and anchor boats on the reef and empty the toilets directly out in the sea. Is there any thai that are smarter than a 10 years western schoolgirl?

Avoiding responsibility and blaming everyone else is the default position from the cradle to the grave.

There is no reset button.

What to do about too many "ignorant" foreign tourists Thai City administrators and authorities spoiling Thailand's marine life ?

Rotting stinking piles of trash leaching chemicals, carcinogens, pathogens into the sea......The "Pattaya Pipeline" pouring 1000's of litres of shit and god knows what else into the ocean everyday.....oooohh no its the "ignorant tourists" making the problem.......

So if smoking on one of the Thai beaches costs 100,000 or a year in jail.......how much should this continuing pollution of the sea water cost the Thai administrators and authorities??

Koh Chang....Koh Samui...Pattaya pipeline...Koh Tao in that order

Koh Chang (2).jpg

Koh Samui.jpeg

Pattaya.jpg

Koh Tao.jpg

The basic issue is the protection of seas and reefs and prevention of pollution of the seas around Thailand. Apportioning blame on various groups of people basically shows how little the authorities understand the problem and therefore how ineffective they will be in addressing the problems.

I walk my dogs along the local beach every morning, and have done for years.

Rubbish and dead fish (mainly puffer fish and leopard morays) are continually washed up on the beach, to the extent that I barely notice it anymore :sad:.

It's not a tourist beach, but a couple of days ago there was a tourist couple, and we started chatting.  They were horrified by the appalling amount of trash washed up from the boats.

We become blase because we're used to it - but it is horrendous.  And that's without getting into the polluted water/decimation of marine life as a result of fishing and tourist boat operators :sad:.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:49 AM, boomerangutang said:

Years ago, I found a nice little area to snorkle, NE corner of Ko Pang Gnan.  While I was there, a small small fishing boat came along, dropped anchor on coral, and dropped a wide net.  They were probably looking to catch the few remaining colorful fish - for eating or aquariums?  

Also, while strolling along Thai beaches, I've seen lots of trash.  Every meter, there's something.  I've even seen discarded/broken bulbs from squid boats. One beach had a half billion chunks of broken bottles.  

Tourist do some dumb stuff, but the lion's share of damage/pollution is done by locals.

It's what you don't see which is most insidious.  Chemicals, pathogens and plastic goop are creating havoc in seas.

Careful you are not arrested for spoiling Thailands reputation!!.....You cant go around telling the truth, where do you think you are??

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 10:49 AM, boomerangutang said:

Years ago, I found a nice little area to snorkle, NE corner of Ko Pang Gnan.  While I was there, a small small fishing boat came along, dropped anchor on coral, and dropped a wide net.  They were probably looking to catch the few remaining colorful fish - for eating or aquariums?  

Also, while strolling along Thai beaches, I've seen lots of trash.  Every meter, there's something.  I've even seen discarded/broken bulbs from squid boats. One beach had a half billion chunks of broken bottles.  

Tourist do some dumb stuff, but the lion's share of damage/pollution is done by locals.

It's what you don't see which is most insidious.  Chemicals, pathogens and plastic goop are creating havoc in seas.

The oceans are the sewer of the world. Chemicals, radio active waste, used jam rags, faeces, dobbers, shit etc. 

1. Kick them out.

2. If they still keep coming back, declare all coastal areas "national parks" and charge 100 dollars (4,200 baht*) entrance fee for foreigners. (Note: official Thailand exchange rate for fees: 1 dollar = 42 baht.)

Note: No. 2 won't really help the marine life, but will help Thai officials' lives, allowing them to buy that new Mercedes.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, rkidlad said:

I had a similar problem recently. I was hosting house parties and charging people an entry fee. Bloody idiots kept getting damaging stuff. 

I want to keep making my cut but don't wanna deal with the effects. How do you have your cake and eat it? 

Charge higher fees - keeps the biggest idiots out, covers all damage, and, perhaps, gives you your cut...

Look at the Philippines. Boracay closed now for 6 months. Military and riot police are controlling the ban. Illegal structures are torn down and proper wastewater catchment and treatment is built.
The PM should use this as example from his Philippines' friend.

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

Look at the Philippines. Boracay closed now for 6 months. Military and riot police are controlling the ban. Illegal structures are torn down and proper wastewater catchment and treatment is built.
The PM should use this as example from his Philippines' friend.

Yes duterte is a role model all nations should be copying. 

Thr country is in such fine shape.

His ' encouragement ' of radical islam is really driving the place forward 

Oh and the death squads are an absolute boon .

Please read more carefully. I wrote that only this one action (close the island) was a good move of the Philippines' President

5 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Was CLW suggesting following the items you listed? I think not. His suggestion was reasonable.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, Stoker58 said:

Although tourism inevitably has an impact, my experience, as a long time diver in this country who sees the reefs up close, is that by far the greatest damage has been caused by illegal fishing. In ten years I have seen large fish virtually disappear from some reefs. 

Yes, even on small organised fishing trips, the Thais do not seem to understand the logic of putting the small ones back! In their eyes, everything goes in the cooking pot!

It not the tourists fault.

It is the fault of the government and tour companies.

The need to only allow the tourists to swim in certain places.  Then make marine reserve of the other places that ban all fishing, tourism, etc.  Easy really and costs nothing.  However, they won't be making any money out of the reserves so they will never do it.  Money overrides everything in this world, not just Thailand.

They also need to stop all the pollution and overfishing... which is a much bigger problem than the out of control tourists.. who are being used as a scapegoat in this situation.

Archived