Get me outa here! Taxis with emergency panic buttons coming to Pattaya!

webfact

Those pattaya Taxi boys are hilarious.

They will always first ask Hey where u go but then if u say the destination with meter pls then it's impossible...Then if u say another destination with meter also impossible so any location with meter impossible so why on their roof it says meter taxi? 

21 hours ago, JoePai said:

Easiest option is to use Grab  :thumbsup:

Love Grab and rormally I'd agree, but not so in Pattaya. Was at the Air-Con Bus Station (North Pattaya Road) last week and no Grab driver would come there to pick us up. Afraid of the "Song Taew Mafia"? Could not get a ride and finally just jumped on a song taew. Going back to the bus station, we finally got a ride, but took 4 tries and almost 30 minutes...where 3 drivers accepted, then asked us to cancel. 

21 hours ago, mrblue said:

I don’t understand... is the red button for customers or for the taxi driver who will call the police if the tourist will not agree to pay the higher not metered price?

It’s an ejector seat button.... the amazing Thai adventure part is guessing which seat it’d hooked up too

lol... they should consider electric shock collars for drivers... so much fun....,thailand 4.0... shocking thailand!

It is very easy to sort out the "No Use Meter" nonsense...

Start impounding the taxis that do not use there meters for a few weeks.

If they take collective action (strike), then let the BK Taxis openly tout for trade in Pattaya...

On 2/10/2018 at 12:12 AM, Henrik Andersen said:

Do grab or uber use meter???

They use GPS with agreed fares, much better and you control everything from your smart phone. . 

On 2/10/2018 at 12:12 AM, Henrik Andersen said:

Do grab or uber use meter??? 

UBER indeed uses an online meter that cannot be tempered with by the driver, but you only know the final amount once you have arrived at your destination.

GRAB offers a flat rate, no matter how long you are stuck in traffic (which makes it sometimes unfair for drivers), and you know that flat rate BEFORE you hit the "order" button.

8 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

UBER indeed uses an online meter that cannot be tempered with by the driver, but you only know the final amount once you have arrived at your destination.

GRAB offers a flat rate, no matter how long you are stuck in traffic (which makes it sometimes unfair for drivers), and you know that flat rate BEFORE you hit the "order" button.

Thanks for your answer 

On 2/10/2018 at 9:29 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Love Grab and rormally I'd agree, but not so in Pattaya. Was at the Air-Con Bus Station (North Pattaya Road) last week and no Grab driver would come there to pick us up. Afraid of the "Song Taew Mafia"? Could not get a ride and finally just jumped on a song taew. Going back to the bus station, we finally got a ride, but took 4 tries and almost 30 minutes...where 3 drivers accepted, then asked us to cancel. 

I had a similar experience just yesterday. Five UBER drivers accepted my ride, only to send me sms "where you go" or call me via phone. Then ALL cancelled the trip when I told them I need to go to the North Bus station (that was a drop-off there, which I never had problems with, not even a pick-up at the Bus station).

The Mafia must have found a new way to threaten the app-drivers recently, me thinks.

Eventually, a sixth driver accepted my ride. He did not contact me first, but just showed up at my place and obviously had no hesitation to drop me inside the parking lot there (next to Bell travel office). I lost 45 minutes due to that.

Also, I noticed that ALL rides to the Bus station on GRAB now show an inflated rate "due to increased demand" when in fact it was a very slow time of the day. Maybe to make more drivers "dare" to go to that place? The fare was 180 Baht from my home, whereas it used to be not more than 110-120 in the past few months. By the way, INSIDE of the Bus station was always a no-go area for any app cars when it comes to pick you up. To avoid that, I always walk out of the station using the back entrance and set my pick-up point at some small apartment building hundred meters away from the actual station. This - at least until now - always has worked fine for me

On 2/9/2018 at 5:49 AM, tryasimight said:

The 'professor' didn't know how to unlock and open a car door? 

If the doors have the button lock, 

Image result for button locks on car doors

Unscrew, remove these and lock the doors from the front of the car.  

Then :
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/04/use-child-safety-locks-to-keep-kids-safer-in-car/

and you cannot open the doors from the inside.  

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Bartman1369 said:

Most taxis in the world are fitted as standard with central locking. Preventing the passenger running without paying. This cannot be bypassed by the passenger.

Yes, it can, in Thailand (as taxis are just normal cars) by unlocking your door using the lock/unlock button that every car has!  Central locking doesn't prevent exits from the car it just makes locking/unlocking more convenient.

On 13.2.2018 at 12:16 PM, Bartman1369 said:

Most taxis in the world are fitted as standard with central locking. Preventing the passenger running without paying. This cannot be bypassed by the passenger.

I think in most first world countries locking somebody in is illegal, so they can't prevent anybody from running away ;)

Probably even in Thailand that's illegal, but i could imagine that some taxis would try to do it.

Archived