Rayong source of air pollution as far as BKK

Airbagwill

at the time if posting the air in Rayong is "unhealthy"

http://aqicn.org/city/rayong/

Rayong AQI: Rayong Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI). 
Unhealthy
for Sensitive Groups
Updated on Friday 7:00

Temp.: 23°C
Current Past 48 hours data Min Max
PM2.5  AQI
143 16 159
PM10  AQI
61 39 91
O3  AQI
6 6 37
NO2  AQI
10 5 50
SO2  AQI
1 1 7
CO  AQI
0 0 0
Temp. 
23 21 31
Pressure 
757 755 760
Humidity 
97 47 100
Wind 
0 0 3
Rain 
0 0 0

coal fired power stations are being singled out this time.

the most worrying concern is that with the massive EEC project, there is little chance of improvement.

Coal-fired power plants ‘partly to blame for Bangkok pollution’

"results from the Atmospheric Chemistry Modelling Team at Harvard University, which showed that air pollution from coal-fired power plants operated by BLCP Power Limited and GHECO-One Co Ltd in Rayong’s Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate had affected air quality in nearby tourist destinations such as Pattaya and Koh Samet."

This is in the news today. It affects many expats and tourists who live/visit Thailand. If it's worthy of the papers and other media, I would suggest it's worthy of mention on Thaivisa.

I do wonder why some are so hostile to this news - it is potentially a crisis in the making. Lets hope it doesn't become a Chinese-style industrial blight.that would include provinces Chonburi Chachoengsao and Rayong

As no-one is actually voicing an opinion on the matter other than to suggest it shouldn't be discussed, I would assume they are either unaware of the potential dangers this could pose for anyone living or working within the EEC corridor or want to stick their heads in the sand...

Thailand has no policy to fade out coal power in fact they are actually building a NEW coal fired power station at Krabi - much to the horror of many.

The Map Ta Phut BLCP power station is a 1,434 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Rayong, Thailand

"Prasitchai Nunuan, leader of the Save Andaman from Coal Network, told Reuters civilian voices were not being heard by the junta, which seized power in a 2014 coup. 

“Since the coup, people’s rights are gone,” he said. “Under civilian governments, people are still able to speak up and debate. But we have none of that under military governments.”  - Reuters

Natural gas has mainly driven the growth in the country’s electricity output. Its share in total electricity output is as high as 68% in 2014. Coal has the second largest share of the electricity output (22%).

More criticism in the press......

Future pollution problems for Rayong.

This air pollution good become a major problem affecting health and lifestyles for all in the 3 provinces and surrounding areas and there is at present little the public are empowered to do to question or resist it.

In October last year, the authorities closed down an important interface for the public to get information about pollution; they decided to disband the ICEH which was an independent committee to promote public participation and checks and balances in reviewing projects with environmental and health impacts.

Now.....

“ACTIVISTS and academics are preparing to take legal action against the government’s Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) amid concerns over its impact on local people’s rights and on further aggravating pollution.”

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30338453

Saowaruj Rattanakhamfu, senior researcher at the Thailand Development Research Institute, who closely follows EEC, shared similar concerns about pollution. 

There is no clear direction in the law for how pollution would be addressed, she said, just a vague clause about health and environmental impact assessments in the law. “

Local communities had so far responded well to his (Srisuwan Janya)

move as they were worried about the EEC impact on their livelihoods, he said. 

he also raised the issue of air pollution in the Map ta Phut industrial complex in Rayong. Air quality could deteriorate when more investment pours into the region under the EEC initiative, he said. 

Saowaruj Rattanakhamfu, senior researcher at the Thailand Development Research Institute, who closely follows EEC, shared similar concerns about pollution. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30338453

On 2/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Airbagwill said:

coal fired power stations are being singled out this time.

I would have thought that a far greater source of air pollution in Rayong City was from the exhausts of motor vehicles idling for lengthy periods in traffic jams at principal intersections waiting for the lights to turn to green.

In which regard Rayong City is, of course, no different from any comparable city in LOS or, indeed, anywhere else on this great planet of ours.

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

I would have thought that a far greater source of air pollution in Rayong City was from the exhausts of motor vehicles idling for lengthy periods in traffic jams at principal intersections waiting for the lights to turn to green.

In which regard Rayong City is, of course, no different from any comparable city in LOS or, indeed, anywhere else on this great planet of ours.

They are referring to the province which is the industrial heartland of Thailand.

I said this time because of course it has one of the biggest proliferation of petrochemical plants in S.E. Asia.

I notice in the latest press releases re EEC, they have stopped mentioning that all these industries will expand dramatically. They just mention the new types of industry they are trying to attract.

Of course all this new industry will require power and gas and coal will be shipped in through Rayong and Chonburi ports.

Thailand appears to have no policy of winding download power...in fact they are building a new new coal fired power station as we speak in Krabi.....those poor people.

Most cities have different pollution characteristics.....The percentage of diesel vehicles, inner city vehicle restrictions and of course the sources of power....coal being just about the worst.

Whereas industrial is the most obvious, domestic consumption is also a big factor....in Thailand mostly electric and bottle gas. In EU for instance the predominance of natural massively reduces the CO2 and particulate emissions. Most of EmU is remarkable good on greenhouse gases........It appears that particulates are the problem in BKK at the moment.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, Airbagwill said:

It appears that particulates are the problem in BKK at the moment.

Massive problem. I live in Thonburi and every day when I sweep my balcony a fresh coating of gray/black dust covers everything. Once a month I wipe down my patio door screen and it has accumulated enough black soot to instantly turn the wash rag black. I am hinting to the GF that we need to get out of here or face breathing this stuff in and possible serious health issues. This has gotten worse over the past 2 years significantly, perhaps due to the extra traffic delays from the BTS/MRT extensions being worked on (for 5 years now) just a few Km away. Fed up with the sick air.

Certain areas of Bangkok are much worse than others on a yearly basis.....I believe Saraburi and Samut Prakhan are amongst the worst.

I also think that the expat community in Pattaya is largely unaware that the figures for that area have been in the "unhealthy" range in the last few days.

Pattaya makes its own pollution but it is also bathed in particulates from the industrial estates of Chonburi and Rayong provinces.

Expats and "sensitives" with asthma and allergies etc. might well have felt the effects last week. 

A relative who's working in Rayong just recently passed way because of cancer. Plenty of people died before and many others will follow The Japanese plastic factories couldn't pass any European tests before they'd be allowed to produce.  

Rayong was before one of the best areas, not it's not even worth to go there anymore ( for me)/. More and more nice places of this country turn into shitHoles. What does the army do? They create a new word which Thai don't even understand. 

8 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

A relative who's working in Rayong just recently passed way because of cancer. Plenty of people died before and many others will follow The Japanese plastic factories couldn't pass any European tests before they'd be allowed to produce.  

Rayong was before one of the best areas, not it's not even worth to go there anymore ( for me)/. More and more nice places of this country turn into shitHoles. What does the army do? They create a new word which Thai don't even understand. 

It's not just the Japanese who have factories there ..... there are several US and European companies all of whom benefit from or take advantage of the lack of regulation and supervision in the region.

It appears as soon as they are out of their home countries regulations they are happy to drop health and safety to the levels of local regions despite this having been shown to be detrimental back home.

I agree too that the Rayong coastline was quite outstanding and allowing this massive development along the coast has deprived Thailand of a massive natural resource of value to tourism.

It also seems that now this pollution is extending over to Pattaya and Chonburi coast which also reported "unhealthy" pollution levels recently.

Thailand is a rapidly industrialist nation, but it seems in the rush to "modernise" successive governments have been acquiescence in allowing planners, businesses and developers cut corners all over the place.

The result is a general degradation of air, land water and seas in the region, which is reflected in illness rates in the local population and even local agricultures.......

5 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It's not just the Japanese who have factories there ..... there are several US and European companies all of whom benefit from or take advantage of the lack of regulation and supervision in the region.

It appears as soon as they are out of their home countries regulations they are happy to drop health and safety to the levels of local regions despite this having been shown to be detrimental back home.

I agree too that the Rayong coastline was quite outstanding and allowing this massive development along the coast has deprived Thailand of a massive natural resource of value to tourism.

It also seems that now this pollution is extending over to Pattaya and Chonburi coast which also reported "unhealthy" pollution levels recently.

Thailand is a rapidly industrialist nation, but it seems in the rush to "modernise" successive governments have been acquiescence in allowing planners, businesses and developers cut corners all over the place.

The result is a general degradation of air, land water and seas in the region, which is reflected in illness rates in the local population and even local agricultures.......

A good example is Ko Samet and Baan Phe, where the ferries are. 20 year ago an idyllic island using generators at daytime, you could stay in a luxury bungalow right at the beach for 500 baht a night.

No electricity at night was lovely,, having a candlelight dinner at a non-polluted beach was fantastic.

I couldn't believe my own eyes when I came back to Ko Samed 8 years ago. Polluted, crowded, and Reggae shops everywhere. Had nothing to do with the former island. 

I can only imagine that it's a nationwide problem where the money's creating too many Chinese monkeys. 

Rayong has nice places for tourists, but they're polluted. 

On 2/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, jenny2017 said:

A good example is Ko Samet and Baan Phe, where the ferries are. 20 year ago an idyllic island using generators at daytime, you could stay in a luxury bungalow right at the beach for 500 baht a night.

No electricity at night was lovely,, having a candlelight dinner at a non-polluted beach was fantastic.

I couldn't believe my own eyes when I came back to Ko Samed 8 years ago. Polluted, crowded, and Reggae shops everywhere. Had nothing to do with the former island. 

I can only imagine that it's a nationwide problem where the money's creating too many Chinese monkeys. 

Rayong has nice places for tourists, but they're polluted. 

It is a national problem, policy-wise but Rayong is the home of massive industrial development including petrochemicals.

Without proper supervision and regulation this has resulted in air, land, rivers, watertables and the sea being polluted. (Remember the oil spill at Koh Samet a couple of years ago?).

The thing is...even if the source of a pollution is stemmed the after effects remain and linger on.

Fish stocks are depleted. Soil is damaged, water is tainted.

It is said that up to 50% of industrial waste in the region is disposed of illegally. This then seeps into water supplies and contaminates both crops and soils.

I see now that the proposed route for the hi-speed train has been changed to miss out Rayong due to "safety concerns". This looks like a bit of a strange decision....I'm sure any investigation into this would open a Pandora's box .

PS the first time I visited Koh Samet was 1994.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:30 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Perhaps wilai is wondering, as I do, what difference you think you are making by constantly harping on about this subject. 

It's called dissemination of information.

Why are you so concerned about what I post?

If you think it is factually incorrect or you disagree with a point I've made, please feel free to comment on any particular item.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:05 AM, Airbagwill said:

Can you give me a link to where I can find a qualitative and current assessment of the local air pollution levels?

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

According to up to date news it is vehicles in Bangkok that are to blame for the pollution there.

You should realise that the sources of pollution, in particular air pollution can change on a daily basis.

You can see by the AQI map that particulate are a major problem and 2 sizes are monitored, there is a lot of other stuff too that does appear on the AQIs.....but by looking at the particulate one may be able to get an idea of source.

Of course, there is no doubt that is cities, slow-moving and stationary traffic cause a big drop in AQ........... this together with little wind and cloud cover can mean that large volumes of air can drift over the country and get locked in place especially in low-lying areas like BKK. This will only compound the situation.

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

According to up to date news it is vehicles in Bangkok that are to blame for the pollution there.

You should realise that the sources of pollution, in particular air pollution can change on a daily basis.

You can see by the AQI map that particulate are a major problem and 2 sizes are monitored, there is a lot of other stuff too that does appear on the AQIs.....but by looking at the particulate one may be able to get an idea of source.

today Rayong is 2 - moderate but only a few kilometres away Map Ta Phut is at 156 UNHEALTHY........ it remains to be seen in which direction that will dissipate; the wind is Southerly to South-Easterly at present

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This morning in Ban Chang they had a pick up going around with loud speakers telling the people to go to local hospitals for a check up as large amounts of chemical pollution has been discharged from Mattaput in recent weeks.

Also on the corner of Namrim Rd and the by pass rd there is a large sign telling the people they are releasing excess amounts of pollution from Mattaput

from 1st March until 10 April. It looks as if DOW chemical company have put the sign up.

Thanks to the op for starting this thread.

Archived