Amulets to carry clear pricing at 5 Pattaya-area temples

Rimmer

Amulets to carry clear pricing at 5 Pattaya-area temples

image.png

PATTAYA:--Nong Plalai Sub-district’s dean of monks said five Pattaya-area temples will begin putting clear price tags on amulets following complaints about overcharging.

Wimoljariyalangkarn, who also is abbot of Nong Ket Yai Temple, said monks are not involved in selling amulets or any other religious item on temple grounds. In fact, he said he doesn’t even know what prices are charged for them.

However, following complaints to Banglamung District’s complaint center, Wimol­jariyalangkarn said Jan. 29 that he met with local and temple officials to work out a solution that was scheduled to take effect Feb. 1.

Under the agreement, temple vendors at Nong Ket Yai, along with Sawangfapruettaram and Prachum Khongkha in Nong­prue, Satidarm in Takhiantia, and Tungka in Huay Yai will put clear prices on all amulets to prevent price gouging and different prices being charged to different people.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/amulets-carry-clear-pricing-5-pattaya-area-temples-201455

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-02-09

" Different prices being charged to different people " in Pattaya .! Surely some mistake there .. And price gouging .! Eh' what's that about we've heard of eye gouging and price fixing but never the two rolled up together .. And the agreement t'wixt temples is beginning to sound a bit cartel like .. These amulets they talk about if they don't work can you get a refund or will that result in more gouging .? 

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

I don't get this amulet thing.  The highly prized ones used to belong to dead previous owners.  That suggests to me that they are not very lucky.

That amount of luck would equate exactly to how long an innings the previous owner managed 

I'm always amazed at the recognition factor many Thais have regarding the string of amulets I wear... not for luck or protection, just to show some respect for Thai customs. I am often approached and asked to allow examination of my chains.  I've had some of my amulets for about 45 years and some were old when I got them. One in particular is quite popular (Khun Phaen) and draws attention very often. I wear multiple chains including one with a crucifix and thoroughly enjoy the interactions with Thai folks. I've bough a couple amulets in Samut Prakan flea markets in the past couple months, most I paid was 200baht, and I found one old medallion of Ajaan Mun  for 100baht... I enjoy the related history of such things.

Archived