What’s happening to Bangkok’s air?

snoop1130

What’s happening to Bangkok’s air?

By Coconuts Bangkok

jhtgyuj.JPG

Bangkokians in face masks wait for a train at Mo Chit BTS station, Feb. 9, 2018. Photo: Prae Sakaowan/ Coconuts Media

In the past week, the air quality in Bangkok has hit “unhealthy” levels, according to the Air Pollution Index, and the problem has worsened to the point that smog can be seen with the naked eye in the morning.

The Department of Pollution Control has issued a warning for people to wear face masks or simply “go to the doctor” if they experience abnormalities with their breathing or respiratory system.

Today, the department reported PM2.5 dust in Bangkok at 8am. It was measured at 47-70 micrograms per m3, higher than the level considered safe for Thailand, which is set at 50 micrograms per m3. Meanwhile, the World Health Organization suggested that the level of PM2.5 dust should be under 25 micrograms per m3.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/happened-bangkok-air/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-2-9

1 hour ago, johng said:

And the coal fired power plants that provide that electricity ?
How about a few Nuclear plants ?

That would be a total disaster, Thai can't do that...they even can't keep the electricity in our brand new moobaan running nonstop and we have naked wires everywhere in the parks..

They can't follow rules and procedures and will ALWAYS take the shortest route, if you do that with a nuclear reactor it will go BOOM...

Some of the old guys here will remember when 2 cycle motorcycles were common. They all gathered at red  traffic lights and when the light changed the air went blue with smoke. Back then if  I spent 3 days in Bangkok I started having breathing problems.  The air is better now than in the past.

18 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Some of the old guys here will remember when 2 cycle motorcycles were common. They all gathered at red  traffic lights and when the light changed the air went blue with smoke. Back then if  I spent 3 days in Bangkok I started having breathing problems.  The air is better now than in the past.

Goodness me..but I will take your word for it.

The last time I was there the air (and general environment) was utterly foul.

Almost as bad as Chiang Mai

it's not just Bangkok where the air is so dirty, it's also in rural parts of Thailand and neighboring countries. 

Parts of Europe, way larger areas than that of Bangkok are the same or worse than it is here. 

Surprisingly the USA pretty low on the scale. Check it out live - http://aqicn.org/map/world/#@g/26.9152/-112.7197/4z

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

That is how I feel about soi Bukao in pattaya.  Not too long ago it was a pleasant walk.  Now the particulates are amazing. 

It's my impression that Bangkok got better for a few years but is now getting worse again. Isn't this the worst time of year, since there isn't the rain to clear the air? BTW, I've been spending more time in Chiang Mai, but haven't yet experienced its notorious bad days; the time will come I suppose, and the fact that I'm actually in Hang Dong probably won't help much.

What happened to the air, well it stagnated over a large city of 10 million plus people,

and is getting polluted. Thats what happens over any large city, Beijing, or Shanghai, also come to

mind with their 20 plus, million people. Just have to wait for another weather system to push the

bad air away.

Geezer

15 hours ago, peperobi said:

I do really not understand, you writing always only about Bangkok, have a look around, nationwide is that a big problem, in our place in the morning you can't see the sun only the bright of...

About air situation...here some pics from the village where I live. The pics are from today 7 am.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

On 09/02/2018 at 8:24 PM, Jeremy50 said:

Do those people in the photo realise that those surgical masks do absolutely nothing? You would need a proper mask with a charcoal filter, like a quality cycling mask, to filter out the PM 10's. Better still, just move.

I laugh everytime I see people wearing those paper masks - not much use for PM2.5 conditions.  Related image

22 minutes ago, peperobi said:

About air situation...here some pics from the village where I live. The pics are from today 7 am.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

It was exactly the same in my Isaan village.

Still...the biggest shock off all was Chiang Mai.

I really missed my 1917 issue box respirator when I was there.

20 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

What happened to the air, well it stagnated over a large city of 10 million plus people,

and is getting polluted. Thats what happens over any large city, Beijing, or Shanghai, also come to

mind with their 20 plus, million people. Just have to wait for another weather system to push the

bad air away.

Geezer

Tokyo is cleaner and has 40 million inhabitants.

Archived