Trump wishes disgraced aide well after domestic abuse allegations

rooster59

By Steve Holland and Ayesha Rascoe

800x800 (4).jpg

FILE PHOTO - White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter (L) reminds U.S. President Donald Trump he had a bill to sign after he departed quickly following remarks at his golf estate in Bedminster, New Jersey U.S., August 12, 2017. Picture taken August 12, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Friday praised White House aide Rob Porter, who resigned this week after allegations that he abused two former wives, and stressed that Porter has maintained his innocence.

"He says he's innocent, and I think you have to remember that. He said very strongly yesterday that he's innocent," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.

"It's obviously a tough time for him. He did a very good job in the White House. And we hope he has a wonderful career," Trump added. "But we absolutely wish him well."

Trump did not express any sympathy for the two women who this week provided graphic accounts of the verbal and physical abuse they said they suffered while married to Porter.

Trump said he found out about the allegations recently, and was "surprised" by them.

Porter's resignation on Wednesday has raised questions about how long it took the White House to act on the accusations.

Some senior White House officials were generally aware of the allegations before Trump found out a report surfaced on DailyMail.com, a source familiar with the matter said.

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly has so far taken the brunt of the blame.

Kelly and Press Secretary Sarah Sanders both issued statements calling Porter a man of "integrity" in response to an initial Daily Mail report that Porter's two former wives had accused him of abuse.

Kelly later put out a statement saying he was shocked by "new" allegations against Porter, stressing that domestic violence is unacceptable.

Trump has been privately complaining about Kelly and wondering whether to replace him, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

"If he (Trump) draws scrutiny to himself, he's OK with that. But when the staff draws scrutiny to him, he does not appreciate that," said one of the sources, speaking on condition of anonymity.

White House spokesman Raj Shah said on Thursday that Kelly was not "fully aware" of the extent of the allegations against Porter until photographs of one of his former wives with a black eye emerged on Wednesday.

Shah also conceded the crisis could have been better handled by senior White House officials.

Reuters has not independently confirmed the allegations.

As White House staff secretary, Porter was responsible for reviewing all documents signed by the president, from legislation to executive orders.

The position put him in close contact with the president and required a security clearance but Porter, a Harvard Law School graduate, had not yet been approved for security clearance because the required background check was still ongoing.

Jennie Willoughby, one of Porter's ex-wives, said in an interview with NBC's "Today" show on Friday that she told the Federal Bureau of Investigation during Porter's background check that he had been abusive toward her.

"Of course, I was part of the background check and I was completely honest with what my experience of the marriage, including telling the police instances of abuse or police contact," said Willoughby.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-10

And yet another WH member resigning amongst abuse violations. How many misogynistic men are actually residing in the WH (besides the POTUS)? Why Kelly still remains after all these blatant misdeeds coming to light under his watch amazes me. Kelly was supposed to be the upstanding person in the WH. It looks like he is just another corrupt individual allowing unqualified personnel to keep their positions long after full security clearances have either been denied or never being allowed. Kelly's true colors are showing under the current administration. Kelly needs to resign.

Second WH official resigns over domestic abuse allegations

https://us.cnn.com/2018/02/09/politics/david-sorensen-white-house-resign-domestic-abuse-allegation/index.html

Calling him "disgraced" without any conviction just goes to show how out of control all this anti male hysteria has become.

Any woman wants revenge on a man now only has to make allegations that something happened, and he is gone, reputation ruined, life destroyed.

Seems to me that we are heading down a very dangerous path when it is so easy to destroy men based on unproven accusations.

Few men are becoming teachers for a very long time already because it is so unsafe for them to do so, with profound effects on children. Expect the same to happen in politics, which is the current area of attack on men.

I saw on Sky News the other day, that lollipop men are no longer allowed to high five the pupils because of some idea that it is potentially a problem. It's becoming insane.

3 minutes ago, Slip said:

Yes, she has a photo of herself with a black eye. Now prove that it happened in an assault by him.

I wasn't there when it happened so I can't say what happened, but he wasn't convicted of assault when it happened- why not?

My ex lied about everything, so why would I believe anything someone I don't even know says?

Like I say, I don't know what happened and he may very well be guilty, but I don't believe people based on their gender, without some actual proof. I know too many evil women to be fooled by the "all women good" mantra being bandied about now.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, despite what you said to me before, you do hate Trump, or are making a really good show of writing as though you do.

I don’t hate him. 

I am contemptuous of him and his actions. 

As I said before, I pity him more than anything else. 

Hate is a very strong emotion to feel towards an individual. 

It seems like one of the top priorities of the trump regime is defending (RIGHT WING) sexual abusers and misogynists.

How anyone with an ounce of morality or ethics can support this sleaziest presidency in history is beyond rationality. Hilariously, the Americans that promote themselves as the most "moral" ("Christian" evangelicals) are his most ardent supporters. :sick: Go figure.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/trump-tends-to-defend-alleged-abusers-unless-theyre-dems.html

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t hate him. 

I, OTOH, hate him. Every time he pops up on the TV screen I switch the channel as just seeing him move his foul mouth makes my skin crawl. He is every bad trait a person can have distilled into one heinous creature. Defending a wife beater is just par for the course for this thing.

May the McD diet do the job it's supposed to do ASAP. 

6 minutes ago, Becker said:

I, OTOH, hate him. Every time he pops up on the TV screen I switch the channel as just seeing him move his foul mouth makes my skin crawl. He is every bad trait a person can have distilled into one heinous creature. Defending a wife beater is just par for the course for this thing.

Imagine the psychological damage "trump" is doing to an entire generation of American children. 

At least three women so far have come out against Rob Porter and yet the WH continues to praise Rob. How many does it take? Is the abuse of a single woman not even an outrage anymore? Is two? Is three? 

The Rob Porter scandal keeps getting worse for Trump’s White House

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/8/16988560/rob-porter-allegations-resigns

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Calling him "disgraced" without any conviction just goes to show how out of control all this anti male hysteria has become.

Any woman wants revenge on a man now only has to make allegations that something happened, and he is gone, reputation ruined, life destroyed.

Seems to me that we are heading down a very dangerous path when it is so easy to destroy men based on unproven accusations.

Few men are becoming teachers for a very long time already because it is so unsafe for them to do so, with profound effects on children. Expect the same to happen in politics, which is the current area of attack on men.

I saw on Sky News the other day, that lollipop men are no longer allowed to high five the pupils because of some idea that it is potentially a problem. It's becoming insane.

Without in any way trying to defend those who abuse women , yes there seems to be a witch hunt at the moment.

16 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Without in any way trying to defend those who abuse women , yes there seems to be a witch hunt at the moment.

When you take a look at the shocking stats of domestic abuse in Western countries, personally I disagree with you. IMO current outing of abusers is just a manifestation of changes in society standards. I understand the percentage of women making false allegations to police is very low. Kelly has acknowledged, based upon info received, Porter did in fact abuse his wife/s. Why people would assume male high achievers would never abuse their partners goes against statistical reporting. Outside of the political sphere, I cannot see why high achiever women, who would be multi millionaires, in the entertainment industry, would make false allegations.

Oh and here's another one resigning for domestic abuse:

Another White House Staffer Resigns Over Domestic Abuse Allegations

White House speechwriter David Sorensen resigned Friday after being accused of physical and emotional abuse by his ex-wife. 

“Before we were contacted by the media, we learned last night that there were allegations. We immediately confronted the staffer, he denied the allegations and he resigned today,” said White House spokesman Raj Shah in a statement Friday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/another-white-house-staffer-resigns-011453209.html

Here's more on Trump's support for those involved with domestic abuse:

Trump's support for accused abuser fits pattern

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has offered lots of supportive words for men accused of misconduct toward women. He says he's personally been falsely accused, after all.

The president has voiced far less sympathy for women who have accused — and toppled — powerful men across Congress, the media, Hollywood and more.

The president made no mention Friday of the women who have accused Rob Porter, Trump's staff secretary until he resigned this week, of domestic abuse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-support-accused-abuser-fits-pattern-052851867--politics.html

MAGA...This means going back to the era in which women are seen but not heard. An era where women should be submissive,  servile and know their place (in the home).

Trump tweets on lives 'being shattered ... by a mere allegation'

https://us.cnn.com/2018/02/10/politics/trump-tweets-on-porter/index.html

The President did not express any sympathy for the women Porter allegedly abused, instead focusing on Porter's claim of innocence.

John Kelly has a history of believing men over women

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/9/16996730/john-kelly-rob-porter-defense

Trump's history of defending the accused

https://www.axios.com/trump-history-sexual-misconduct-abuse-defender-a0a8c61e-113c-48be-bbb0-6df4ddf2d833.html?

On 09/02/2018 at 11:07 PM, rooster59 said:

Then went on to say Melania will not be doing any public engagements for the next few days as she slipped in the bedroom and hit her head on the door knob...:tongue:

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, Bluespunk said:

I don’t hate him. 

I am contemptuous of him and his actions. 

As I said before, I pity him more than anything else. 

Hate is a very strong emotion to feel towards an individual. 

I never had a desire to write so many posts on a forum disparaging someone that I was only contemptuous of. Obviously you must be different.

Have a nice day.

If Trump is so convinced members of his team are being treated unfairly over these allegations why has his Administration accepted their resignations? Another display of the idiocracy in action?

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Becker said:

LOL, substitute Schumer, Pelosi, Schiff and Waters and I could have written the first 3 sentences.

:cheesy:

In Trumpworld......

If a photo of a Democrat shows up - which indicates that man is jokingly pretending to touch a fully clothed woman on her chest, who is resting in a chair - Trump and his sheeple all shout "That man is Sexually Assaulting Women!" 

If photos and/or testimony show a Republican is a wife-beater and/or sexually assaulting mid-teen girls, then Trump and his sheeple say, "He's a fine fellow. The accusations are all lies. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.  The women are all lying about everything they say.  I wish him the very best.  He's a wonderful fellow."

21 hours ago, simple1 said:

When you take a look at the shocking stats of domestic abuse in Western countries, personally I disagree with you. IMO current outing of abusers is just a manifestation of changes in society standards. I understand the percentage of women making false allegations to police is very low. Kelly has acknowledged, based upon info received, Porter did in fact abuse his wife/s. Why people would assume male high achievers would never abuse their partners goes against statistical reporting. Outside of the political sphere, I cannot see why high achiever women, who would be multi millionaires, in the entertainment industry, would make false allegations.

There is just one solution, ban men from ever getting married, or living with a woman. Just select a random woman to give all their money to in lieu of having to be married to before giving them everything in the inevitable divorce, because, as we know, all women good, all men bad.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never had a desire to write so many posts on a forum disparaging someone that I was only contemptuous of. Obviously you must be different.

Have a nice day.

I’ll post as I choose. 

I’ll state my opinion on whichever topic I choose. 

If you don’t like what I have to say, either refute it or use the ignore function. 

Archived