"Foreign owners need educating about Buddhist feelings" as Buddha head on beach angers Thais

rooster59

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

You can bet that the Cultural experts, accompanied by military personnel and local administration officials would have no interest in chasing up the owner/s about this matter. Just blame the 'farang', so much easier. As the above 'visitors' would know that it is 99% likely to be a Thai owner (as required by law) and probably a person of influence and connection who they do not want to upset.

Classic example (yet again) of cutting off the low hanging fruit! Laziness personified.

Yes quite, but I was going on the update photo sorry a bit too tongue in cheek

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next thing will be the authorities blaming foreigners for the filthy garbage strewn beaches;  my suggestion would be to educate the authorities in the placement of bins and garbage collection.  The same education process would apply to all other aspects of the natural environment which has been allowed year after year to deteriorate.

Anyone who "understands" Thailand knows this is entirely correct.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, oldhippy said:

Buddha's curly hair is a give away.

So is his halo.

And his toga.

And many other stylistic characteristics.

Now before you reply "nonsensical conspiracy theory", google it.

You will end up in the company of..... Alexander the Great.....

A very complete but long article is in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art#Buddha

I have seen the references and they are quite interesting.  I wasn't aware that some of the oldest depictions have been found in Afghanistan and Pakistan... I was expecting Ladakh and the Tibetan Plateau.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, carmine said:

The next thing will be the authorities blaming foreigners for the filthy garbage strewn beaches;  my suggestion would be to educate the authorities in the placement of bins and garbage collection.  The same education process would apply to all other aspects of the natural environment which has been allowed year after year to deteriorate.

Anyone who "understands" Thailand knows this is entirely correct.

Yes.  I am sure Buddha would be more concerned with the destruction of nature, the pollution and sewerage being dumped into the sea, and the fishing boats killing all the fish and destroying the coral reefs than a image of himself located in a beautiful place for people to see.. 

Oh yeah!.. nicely written...Thanks...there is so much bickering here about nonsensical issues here which cause immeasurable grief and arguments which lead nowhere....truly we all who live here under whichever circumstances that we are in...be grateful and just enjoy getting older slowly....jai yen yen....sabai sabai....I have lived in other countries..the grass is not greener on the other side!Good day....a welcome rain to cool things off!

This has nothing to do with not knowing local customs or cultural differences. Anyone with a basic level of decency and respect for others would know that you don't put up your feet like that.

And of course the Thai bashers are out in full force, braying like hyenas about examples of poor behavior from Thais they claim to bear witness to on a nigh on daily basis, as if that would somehow rid these foreigners of any guilt.

"Foreign couple steals candy from baby? Yeah, but what about that Thai guy who killed his girlfriend a year ago? Surely you need to stop reporting negative news about foreigners as long as there are Thai people behaving badly!"

I agree with the last part here...Foreigner this foreigners that...always also differentiating nationalities...the reporting here needs addressing....I read the Owner's of Nation newspaper when he retired a few weeks ago....briefly it said all reporting was thoroughly researched...in the best interest of all nationalities and factually correct,open to discussions and arguments which would benefit both readers and the press respectfully...and ret

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar/Misunderstanding!

Buddhism would not be all that bad (but still not very usefull...) if only the followers would concentrate on the philosophy, rather than making the monks the centre of it.

I agree....the monks have limited knowledge about Buddhism...I asked a senior monk the other day....Why is there inequalities between males and females in the Temple?hmmmmmm.there are some females working making a statue....he said..!!!.'.'could not take that far!..The philosophy and true teachings are so enriching that in order to experience the bliss and that feeling of "disconnection" from every day living and chores .. ....one needs to sacrifice and give up normal living...I do not mean becoming a monk...Good day.....nice to read some useful things here for a change.!

I grew up in a Buddhist environment and decided it wasn't for me.
When I came to Thailand I encountered Theravada Buddhism for the first time and found the Thai mix of animus and this conservative form of Buddhism cute or a joke. The only joke bigger was the average expats total ignorance of the subject. They mostly look at it in terms of Christianity and disdain, with a tint of racism

Right Understanding!
Right Thinking
Right Speech
Right Action
Right means of livelihood!
Right Moral Effort
Right View
Right Concentration/Mindfulness
Right Meditation
Right.....here is not the opposite of Left!!!!
Actually it ought be Correct instead of Right!..
This them commences a journey"Inwards".'..towards "Insight"...hope this gently eases the way for our folks here......

Archived