"Foreign owners need educating about Buddhist feelings" as Buddha head on beach angers Thais

rooster59

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I sometimes wonder about how "outraged" Thai people  seem to get on social media over certain issues...but never appear to vent the same outrage when it is badly needed in a public place where they can actually do something about a bad situation. I am talking about "loud noice" of course and the lifelong damage it can do to children's ears.

I was at the week long market in the College grounds in Banampur a few days ago. Many families strolling  around with babies in arms and strollers.....when all of a sudden "music" starting blareing out, it was, without exaragation, off the ricktar scale. I have Tinnitus, bad hearing , lived here 18 yrs. so am used to it in Thailand but never ever anything like this. I had to actually leave the market with my hands covering my ears. I asked the wife....why do Thai people never approach the person (DJ in this case) responsible for this racket and ask them to lower it down for the sake of their babie's hearing and the irrepairable damage he is doing to their ears. She just shrugged her shoulers and said "they grow up with it" ..???

"they grow up with it" ..???"

As all of us 60's/70's music lovers did! And similarly, in those "halcyon days", nobody "vented their outrage"!

The standard answer from a band to "turn the music down because we can't hear ourselves talk" was " you don't hire a band so that you can talk all the way through their performance! Would you talk all the way through a performance by the London Symphony Orchestra?"

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The Thai Buddha is the Prince Siddhartha Gautama, whereas the fat fellow that the Chinese adhere to is in fact Budai, a totally different being that so say was liberated to the state of being a Buddha, if I am not mistaken. 

A Buddha is not one person, it is a state of consciousness, total liberation. There were Buddhas before Siddhartha, and after. 

Excellent, accurate, but demanding unselective understanding and interpretation. In other words, on a TV string, like throwing a rose pedal into a sewer.

Its simple,

As tourists get off the plane and go through customs. Hand a paper which states what not to do in Thailand or get arrested, pay heavy fines or die of diseases and at the end of it Say, "Enjoy LOS visit and Enjoy your stay ( or long term stay due to laws)"!. Listing such items as,

•  Do not smoke on any beach. Fine 100,000 bah or 5 years gaol/jail.
  • Do not feed the fish otherwise 1 year gaol plus fine.
  • Do not pick up dead coral from the sand. Heavy fine even though dead coral.
  • Do not smoke E cigarettes Big fine (we want to protect our tobacco industry)
  • Do not go to Walking streets You may see nude bar girls but we will bust them one day as it is against our law. Awaiting tea money to decide when we do the raid!
  • Do not have happy ending at massage parlors as again it is against our law. Awaiting tea money to decide when we do the raid. Most likely after massage!
  • Do not drink and drive unless ready to pay big bribe.
  • If you are or not at fault in a car accident causing death. Do not worry Falangs always guilty and fine is 500 Bah plus huge compo to family whether or not your innocent.
  • Swim in our major  beautiful beaches at Phuket an Pattaya where sewerage is freely available and plastic bags are rampant in the water. May help you survive from drowning if you can blow up one.. Sewerage good for the skin we are told.
  • etc etc etc

12 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

They were Burmese 

Thais would never do such a thing.... 

Ugh.  So predictable, for someone to yet again bring the Burmese into yet another unrelated topic.

Try posting something original next time.

And it may enlighten you to find out that the Burmese are predominantly Buddhist, which kind of negates your silly post in the first place.

1 minute ago, wavemanwww said:

Its simple,

As tourists get off the plane and go through customs. Hand a paper which states what not to do in Thailand or get arrested, pay heavy fines or die of diseases and at the end of it Say, "Enjoy LOS visit and Enjoy your stay ( or long term stay due to laws)"!. Listing such items as,

• Do not go to Walking streets You may see nude bar girls but we will bust them one day as it is against our law. Awaiting tea money to decide when we do the raid!
  • Do not have happy ending at massage parlors as again it is against our law. Awaiting tea money to decide when we do the raid. Most likely after massage!
  • If you are or not at fault in a car accident causing death. Do not worry Falangs always guilty and fine is 500 Bah plus huge compo to family whether or not your innocent.
  • Swim in our major  beautiful beaches at Phuket an Pattaya where sewerage is freely available and plastic bags are rampant in the water. May help you survive from drowning if you can blow up one.. Sewerage good for the skin we are told.
  • etc etc etc

DeGen much? 

Just now, wavemanwww said:

Its simple,

• etc etc etc

But then they couldn't collect all that lovely money of which the tourists have way too much. 

15 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

But then they couldn't collect all that lovely money of which the tourists have way too much. 

Me thinks the Thai politicians have too much and as for the the poorer Thais, well the rich and powerful Thais treat them like dirt which is evil! So are you a Politician or Thai copper?

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The Buddha was famously opposed to bikinis and sand. He has no problem bouncing around on the dashboard of a Bangkok taxi however.

**every** local S/T brothel i have visited in LOS (back in the days) had mr buddha next to mattress where the action took place :partytime2::burp:

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Simply a lump of concrete painted a gold colour. Where I am in Isaan; Buddism is more akin to English paganism 100s of years ago. Just where is the 'love'?

Yes, indeed...Where is the love in Thailand? But Buddhism does not teach love, only compassion which is different. Since coming to Thailand Ive come to appreciate more and more, the simple teachings, not the mumbo jumbo since taught by the Church, attributed to a carpenter named Jesus, whoever he was. The most prominent being to attempt to extend one's (purely instinctual) love beyond kith and kin, which is where it mostly ends in Thailand and many other cultures.

Just now, SunsetT said:

Yes, indeed...Where is the love in Thailand? But Buddhism does not teach love, only compassion which is different. Since coming to Thailand Ive come to appreciate more and more, the simple teachings, not the mumbo jumbo since taught by the Church, attributed to a carpenter named Jesus, whoever he was. The most prominent being to extend one's (purely instinctual) love beyond kith and kin, which is where it mostly ends in Thailand and many other cultures.

No wonder I'm agnostic!

33 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

How about the vdo clip of a monk making a woman who went to offer "merit" to give him a B.J ?

Clinton said he didn't have a sexual relationship with Monika. A B-J is really just communication. Next level up from a wai or handshake. 

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The photo shows one girl of a group of Morlam dancers. The event was on the grounds of the local temple with plenty of drunk people dancing in the temple. I'm not saying that some of them were high on drugs, that would be speculation. 

Lung Joy's merit.JPG

I remember some years ago at a temple in Chiang Mai province a stage full of coyote girls dancing to a pretty drunk audience of Buddhist party goers with fistfuls of 20 baht notes. No one seemed to mind and a good time was had by all. Mind you there were no foreigners to blame. 

9 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

I remember some years ago at a temple in Chiang Mai province a stage full of coyote girls dancing to a pretty drunk audience of Buddhist party goers with fistfuls of 20 baht notes. No one seemed to mind and a good time was had by all. Mind you there were no foreigners to blame. 

now that is different, not wearing the usual long-legged rugby players spandex shorts.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"they grow up with it" ..???"

As all of us 60's/70's music lovers did! And similarly, in those "halcyon days", nobody "vented their outrage"!

The standard answer from a band to "turn the music down because we can't hear ourselves talk" was " you don't hire a band so that you can talk all the way through their performance! Would you talk all the way through a performance by the London Symphony Orchestra?"

the difference being you probably paid for the privilege to hear the LSO, temple fair or local market certainly isn't a LSO performance..  

Why always must be a "Farang", every company in Thailand have to be 51% in Thai hands. I saw during my time in Thailand much Thai property with similar things and none has ever complained about. So Thai can do "Farangs " not.... Years ago one guy ("Farang") in Koh Phangan public one picture about his property for sale in a magazine on the pic was the Buddha head to see, the indignation was immense, all the copies of the magazine have to be destroyed and the guy must pay a very high fine.

1 hour ago, stropper said:

this is thailand, personally i think it is fantastic that thai people respect there county and culture, and can voice an opinion, and they still can, unlike our musilum run , going no where UK society , knock every thing and every body , and down grade every  thing,  drunken  bar stool sitters ,i love to be able  to live here amungst them , in THERE county with the people and there culture, if you can not fit in  and do not like it , why are you here f off

the difference between THERE and THEIR  and THEY'RE is worth learning.... :thumbsup:

Archived