"Foreign owners need educating about Buddhist feelings" as Buddha head on beach angers Thais

rooster59

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The Buddha was famously opposed to bikinis and sand. He has no problem bouncing around on the dashboard of a Bangkok taxi however.

Well he was a far wanderer... a well travelled man, so in being the amulet representative of something, taxis seem to be appropriate.

or asses.... they travelled on asses.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook said that comment online after the post by "Saipars Saipars" was widespread with people suggesting that the owners of the resort must be foreigners who don't know about the feelings of the majority of Thais who are Buddhists.

So it is the locals trying to get the locals roiled up, a weekly occurence for the last 10 years or more.. I got it, but if this were a thai owner would this be posted up? I think not.

College letter of intent day last week. Big news is on the ticker.

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Buddha would be spinning in Nirvana, if he knew how Thai's

have twisted his teachings,and turned them into something 

not unlike a business,where everything has a price,and cash

is everything.

regards worgeordie

Money seems to be everything for almost everybody on this planet. 

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Yes, indeed...Where is the love in Thailand? But Buddhism does not teach love, only compassion which is different. Since coming to Thailand Ive come to appreciate more and more, the simple teachings, not the mumbo jumbo since taught by the Church, attributed to a carpenter named Jesus, whoever he was. The most prominent being to attempt to extend one's (purely instinctual) love beyond kith and kin, which is where it mostly ends in Thailand and many other cultures.

It's  all mumbo jumbo, just pick any one Muslim, Christian, Buddhist  and a 1000 other such loads of nonsense, including all the long forgotten religions.

And  they talk of "education" hah!

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

And to think that the iconic buddha face is only a Greek's artist impression of what Buddha might have looked like....

48 minutes ago, Gregorio1 said:

Really, what makes you think that?

Buddha's curly hair is a give away.

So is his halo.

And his toga.

And many other stylistic characteristics.

Now before you reply "nonsensical conspiracy theory", google it.

You will end up in the company of..... Alexander the Great.....

A very complete but long article is in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art#Buddha

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Money seems to be everything for almost everybody on this planet. 

and debt ,credit , even basic billionaires are not happy with what they have ,and must have more .

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

It's  all mumbo jumbo, just pick any one Muslim, Christian, Buddhist  and a 1000 other such loads of nonsense, including all the long forgotten religions.

And  they talk of "education" hah!

Can you walk on water, or make water to wine? :shock1:

Lord walking.jpg

36 minutes ago, Artisi said:

the difference being you probably paid for the privilege to hear the LSO, temple fair or local market certainly isn't a LSO performance..  

Fair (no pun intended!) comment! But my point was meant as a musician (and that does not include DJ's!) one likes to keep the audience's attention - and that applies equally to the LSO, or ELO! Also as you point out, people have paid for the privilege of hearing the act/artiste/artistes, and I think it is Bad Manners to talk over their performance!

Yes its insensitive.. However.. 

I just had a great day on the bike with the old lady.. Ended up going way up a mountain to a middle of nowhere but well known jungle temple complex in the far north.. Above the temple complex is a resort of rooms, with buddha built into the wall and a toilet block above the decorative buddhas and the temple who is its only source of custom.

My old lady was shocked.. I wasnt.. 

All of these outrage episodes are shades of grey.. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Buddha's curly hair is a give away.

So is his halo.

And his toga.

And many other stylistic characteristics.

Now before you reply "nonsensical conspiracy theory", google it.

You will end up in the company of..... Alexander the Great.....

A very complete but long article is in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art#Buddha

As for curly hair, there is a train of though that the curls  actually represent snails, doesn't sound to Greek to me.

As for the rest of your comment, no comment from me without a lot of thought and research. 

Edit : interesting article, thanks for the link. 

Sanook reported on a Facebook post that showed a Buddha's head being used as a noble decoration at a resort on the beach at Bo Phut in Koh Samui. They did not report that it's a fine piece of art with an elevated head of the Lord Buddha, showing deepest respect for Theravada Buddhism, which is also practiced in the Kingdom of Thailand. :shock1:

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

As for curly hair, there is a train of though that the curls  actually represent snails, doesn't sound to Greek to me.

As for the rest of your comment, no comment from me without a lot of thought and research. 

Ifyou google "greek buddhist art" you will find many pages of sites about the subject.

OK, we will easily adapt...

BUT, Thai need urgent education about : respecting the rules on the road and not driving like drunken buffalo's, not charging farangs 10x more than Thai when visiting tourist attractions, not charging farang double at the market when buying vegetables or whatever, stop curruption, start learning English instead of playing phone all the time.

And if Thailand request farangs to invest, than Thai have to show that they will work and not being the lazy staff all the time.  

Thailand should also focus on their corrupt police and lawyers...and activate their Thai Law Council to be sincere and productive.

Hell...a lot of work to do....more than removing the statue from the beach.

Foreign people really need a lesson in Thainess: 

If you offend Thais, it is your fault because you do not understand.

If Thais offend you, it is your fault because you do not understand.

And if you don't like any aspect of anything that happens to you in Thailand, you should go home!

Welcome to Thailand. ? Please deposit your money quietly and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

49 minutes ago, janpharma said:

Supposing they didn't want to do all that, is there the option to just ignore it all but be incredibly judgemental about a few things that other people do and still pretend they have some sort of moral superiority?

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Supposing they didn't want to do all that, is there the option to just ignore it all but be incredibly judgemental about a few things that other people do and still pretend they have some sort of moral superiority?

Can this be a multiple choice? 

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Well he was a far wanderer... a well travelled man, so in being the amulet representative of something, taxis seem to be appropriate.

or asses.... they travelled on asses.

Plenty of expats are one pension cheque away from being on their.... Asses.... :smile:

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yes its insensitive.. However.. 

I just had a great day on the bike with the old lady.. Ended up going way up a mountain to a middle of nowhere but well known jungle temple complex in the far north.. Above the temple complex is a resort of rooms, with buddha built into the wall and a toilet block above the decorative buddhas and the temple who is its only source of custom.

My old lady was shocked.. I wasnt.. 

All of these outrage episodes are shades of grey.. 

<deleted> plumbers again!

3 hours ago, janpharma said:

OK, we will easily adapt...

BUT, Thai need urgent education about : respecting the rules on the road and not driving like drunken buffalo's, not charging farangs 10x more than Thai when visiting tourist attractions, not charging farang double at the market when buying vegetables or whatever, stop curruption, start learning English instead of playing phone all the time.

And if Thailand request farangs to invest, than Thai have to show that they will work and not being the lazy staff all the time.  

Thailand should also focus on their corrupt police and lawyers...and activate their Thai Law Council to be sincere and productive.

....and teach pigs to fly.......lol.

Archived