Looking into a tour or independent excursion to Vietnam

watgate

I am planning to go to Vietnam this June or July and was wondering if there are any tours to Vietnam from Chiang Mai. I am also considering putting together a trip myself and was wondering if anyone has gone  there recently. I realize Vietnam is a large country and trying to do Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City in one trip might be stretching oneself a bit so am exploring different options or itineraries. I understand a major thai airlines is going to be starting direct flights from chiang mai to I think Hanoi this coming March so this is an option. Also there is vietjet which I understand is a very good airline. Any info on visas for Vietnam such as being able to get one upon arrival in vietnam or should one be obtained before departure. I am a US citizen and I know my thai g/f does not need a visa. Any ideas or info on sight seeing in vietnam and any experiences you have had there would be appreciated as I develop an itinerary and decide whether I want to take a pre- arranged tour, providing you can get one from Chiang Mai or go the independent route. Any suggestions for hotels or places to visit would be appreciated also. I am hoping to go for 5 - 6 nights so what would be feasible and realistic to see in vietnam during that time frame? Lastly should one bring US currency to exchange there or use the atm's? Thank you for any info or input you might have about exploring vietnam.

if you can make your way to a tourist hotel in HCMC or Hanoi 3 star or better then there will be a tour desk that will have info and bookings available for local tours, one day, overnighters, etc. that are available to arrange on short notice...in HCMC there's the Mekong delta, Vung Tau, Dalat, etc...and in Hanoi there's Halong Bay, Sapa, etc...plenty of info on tourist destinations on google...

I always use my european ATM card in VN...you take a beating on the exchange rate and VISA charges like anywhere else but it's worth it for the convenience...

Edited by tutsiwarrior