Australian man victim of violent assault in popular Pattaya bar - report

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes, there was malice, but no premeditation.

What ever the technicality etc. I am ok with as long as the thug goes to Thai prison for minimum of 25 years for taking another persons life.

22 hours ago, quandow said:

PLEASE tell me there was a camera somewhere in the Ruby Lounge that caught the faces of these animals! CCT, cell phone, SOMETHING!

All bars have to have cameras since 2006, this is one of the conditions for obtaining a bar business licence. And the recording hard drive is about a 5 day loop   

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“The bully's buddies where making pics of the poor guy and were very proud of her friend. They didn't make an attempt to leave the bar.

Sounds like a pay back and photos required to receive the payment.

I do hope this is not a true story, but then again, this is The Land of Smile, so to speak

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If someone has had the shit kicked out of them and possibly has died, you would think the police would be investigating. As for the friends of the assailant taking photos of the guy on the floor, that is just sick. I hope the cops do investigate and find this guy. Stamping on someones head when they are on the floor is just wrong.

......and the attacker's buddies, who did not restrain him and/or are covering for him, ...are accessories to the crime.  

If there was drinking alcohol involved, then it's a drug-related crime (along with whatever else types of crime).

The media is so quick to label crimes "Drug-Related" if there happens to be speed or heroin involved, but never calls it drug-related if the people are drunk.  Alcohol is a drug, plain and simple.  It's also the most harmful drug on the planet.

5 minutes ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

All bars have to have cameras since 2006, this is one of the conditions for obtaining a bar business licence. And the recording hard drive is about a 5 day loop   

I have owned a bar/restaurant with an alcohol license, regular renewal and tessaban inspections and nobody ever mentioned a requirement for cameras, and we didn't have any.

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

If there was drinking alcohol involved, then it's a drug-related crime (along with whatever else types of crime).

The media is so quick to label crimes "Drug-Related" if there happens to be speed or heroin involved, but never calls it drug-related if the people are drunk.  Alcohol is a drug, plain and simple.  It's also the most harmful drug on the planet.

Point taken, but I think we all know the difference between drink & illicit drugs. I have lots of friends who are more drug takers than boozers (live & let live), and have heard all the stuff about drugs being harmless & booze being terrible.

For example, there are no legal illicit-drugs bars in Thailand.

Also, the guy could have been on ya-ba/drugs and booze.

On a similar subject, in my home county in England last year, more people were caught drug-driving than drink-driving.

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, the report didnt say that the Police were not investigating , the reporter just didnt know whether they were or not

Yes. brilliant reporting.

We don't know what it was about. We don't know who the people involved were. We don't know if the victim is alive or dead. We don't know if the police are investigating. In fact they haven't been able to confirm anything at all.
I suppose making a phone call or two to find out was out of the question.

Would it not be possible to create special zones, with "Cage" pubs and bars, to cater to the inadequates for whom becoming blind drunk and harming each other is "entertainment"?

That would allow normal customers (and "providers") to get on with the core business of Soi 6 and similar areas in peace (albeit a rather noisy peace).

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Point taken, but I think we all know the difference between drink & illicit drugs. I have lots of friends who are more drug takers than boozers (live & let live), and have heard all the stuff about drugs being harmless & booze being terrible. 

For example, there are no legal illicit-drugs bars in Thailand. Also, the guy could have been on ya-ba/drugs and booze. On a similar subject, in my home county in England last year, more people were caught drug-driving than drink-driving.

The reason all recreational drugs other than alcohol are illegal, is the power/money in the alcohol industry.    Society/industry wants you to believe the worst about other recreational drugs, and the best about alcohol drinking.  If those 5 murderous punks had been smoking pot, it would have been a lot less harmful scenario.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We don't know what it was about. We don't know who the people involved were. We don't know if the victim is alive or dead. We don't know if the police are investigating. In fact they haven't been able to confirm anything at all.

I do think that the report came out very soon after the incident and they didnt have the info to post at the time 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

some years ago i had a Thai friend who was a "reporter" on a Thai newspaper ,i wont say where as he reads this forum and others for tips , but although he was a nice guy as a reporter he was about as much use as Noddy .:smile:

1 minute ago, doodle said:

Lots of reports about this elsewhere. The attacked guy, who has since died, was Australian and the attacker was American.

https://m.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/an-australian-man-has-been-killed-in-brutal-bar-fi/3333071/

Thanks for the link.  I read it.  Here is an excerpt.....

"An American man has been arrested over the incident. Local media report the man initially fled the scene but then handed himself into police.

Both the Australian man and the American had been drinking heavily in the bar for several hours before the violence began."

Message to Thai authorities:  don't let the murder suspect use the soggy excuse, "I was drunk, so I didn't know what I was doing."  If found guilty in court, the suspect should get the full force of the law.   

Again, I'll ask:  Is this a drug-related crime?   If you answer 'no', then you're probably full of putrid sugars (note, that's what alcohol is: fermented sugars).  The next stages are vinegar then formaldehyde.   hams.cc/metabolism/

4 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

some years ago i had a Thai friend who was a "reporter" on a Thai newspaper ,i wont say where as he reads this forum and others for tips , but although he was a nice guy as a reporter he was about as much use as Noddy .:smile:

...Noddy would have made a great reporter, he had Big-Ears!!:passifier::smile::smile:

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I'm a journalist and have worked with Thai reporters. Not one of them would last a week in the real world. But what can you expect when from your first day of school you are encouraged not to ask questions, and almost from birth not to challenge those supposedly higher up the social ladder.

21 hours ago, champers said:

Happens multiple times in the UK on any given weekend. 

And in the US. As a former paramedic ambulance and ER tech I've attended hundreds of victims of drinking and bar life. It goes with the territory. 

40 minutes ago, BigC said:

Looks like it was the fault of the man who was attacked from what I heard. Apparently

so it was the victims fault that he got his head stomped on 15-20 times and died while unconscious and defenceless on the floor ................right ?

what a stupid thing to say

49 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

RIP.

I had a confrontation with a loud mouth last week. There was a point where I could have escalated towards violence, but I chose to deescalate by not responding to his last stupid comment. My pride and ego took a hit; consequently, I felt like a bit of a wimp - because this <deleted> had it coming. Now, after reading about this tragic street fight, I realize that I did the right thing.

You were sensible. Many many years ago, my father said "Swallow your pride son and console yourself with the fact that it's calorie free." You're alive to write about your incident....but this Australian is dead, while only in his 40's, and the American should do some time. Why? Because it doesn't matter who started it or what started it, kicks to the head [if the report is true] when a person is down are heinous.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm a journalist and have worked with Thai reporters. Not one of them would last a week in the real world. But what can you expect when from your first day of school you are encouraged not to ask questions, and almost from birth not to challenge those supposedly higher up the social ladder.

You could not be more right ,two instances , one was at a company where they had messed up and an employee told us how to sort it out ,but begged us not to say it was him who told us or he would get into trouble from the boss who had messed up ,and a short while ago when our son who works for a multi national in Leam Chabang told us how his superior was messing up something ,when i said "why dont you report him" he just said "right dad ,and lose my job because the guy in charge lost face"i add that although our son lives and works here and is half Thai ,he was educated from a young age in the UK when we lived there ,so is quite western .:smile:

Archived