Planning to retire in Thailand

Good Morning!

I have a couple of quick question. First of all, apologies if the questions are answered elsewhere - I searched but failed to find.

1. As I understand it I have to start by obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa. Do I have to provide proof of funds at this point?

2. Presumably, once the visa is valid and I enter Thailand I am only permitted to stay X number of days starting from entry date. How many days?

3. IF (note that I say IF) I have to leave and re-enter after X number of days (given that I have a multiple entry visa), is it possible to prevent having to leave by getting a one year extension to stay based on retirement straight away (I assume the embassy doesn't issue this outside Thailand).

Or...am I getting this wrong?

Anyone?

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

As I understand it I have to start by obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa. Do I have to provide proof of funds at this point?

Yes, you need s non ‘O’ Visa/entry to be able to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. Which country/embassy or consulate are you applying in/at?

Presumably, once the visa is valid and I enter Thailand I am only permitted to stay X number of days starting from entry date. How many days?

90 days.

IF (note that I say IF) I have to leave and re-enter after X number of days (given that I have a multiple entry visa), is it possible to prevent having to leave by getting a one year extension to stay based on retirement straight away (I assume the embassy doesn't issue this outside Thailand).

Yes, you can apply for a 1 year extension within the last 30 days of your/any 90 day entry. You need 800K in a Thai bank for at least 60 days before applying, or a certified (by your embassy) income of at least 65K pm, or a combination of cash and income totalling 800K.

• Thanks 1

Agree with SpokaneAl. For some people getting an O-A might be difficult, but I would assume for most it would be fairly easy and could give you up to two years without the need for money in a Thai bank or proof of income or having to apply for an extension of stay. Just have to do 90 day reports and, after getting the second year's permission, you would need a re-entry permit, but only if you want to travel outside Thailand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forethat said:

1. As I understand it I have to start by obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa. Do I have to provide proof of funds at this point?

Normally yes, but it depends of the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country, and for how long time you wish the Non-O visa to last.

The Thai embassy in Denmark for example now issues a 1-year Non-O retirement visa, which is almost similar to applying for a one year extension based on retirement, and you will be allowed a one-year stay without leaving Thailand, but you need to report address to a local immigration office every 90-days. I don't know if all countries issue that kind of visa; however, you can read more here.

2. Presumably, once the visa is valid and I enter Thailand I am only permitted to stay X number of days starting from entry date. How many days?

Depending of you Non-O visa (see above for 1-year visa), but normally always 90-days.

3. IF (note that I say IF) I have to leave and re-enter after X number of days (given that I have a multiple entry visa), is it possible to prevent having to leave by getting a one year extension to stay based on retirement straight away (I assume the embassy doesn't issue this outside Thailand)

Normally it's said that one can apply for "extension of stay in the Kingdom based on retirement" (think that's what it's called) 30 days before one's visa, or previous extension of stay, expires. Some immigration offices may have their own rules, i.e. a shorter window to extend one's stay.

It's at this point – if not using a 1-year "retirement visa" – you need to show proof of funds, the 800,000 baht either as a bank deposit (matured 2 month first time, 3 month following applications for extension), or proof of a monthly income equivalent to 65,000 baht, or a combination of both.

:smile:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

As an alternative you could obtain a non imm o-a multi entry visa prior to leaving your home country. That would give you a year before needing to deal with anything Thai Immigration related other than the 90 day checks. And if you did a border run just prior to the enter before date that is stamped on the visa you could get a second year as well.

Some state that this is a difficult, complex, expensive visa to obtain and I suppose that depends a great deal on the specific Thai Embassy/Consulate you would be dealing with.  I have gotten a number of these visas over the past few years and have never found them particularly problematic nor expensive.

I would apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A in London, UK.

The reason I ask about the point at which I provide evidence of 800,000 THB is that I don't have a Thai bank account anymore. The requirements say's I need to show "a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht" when I apply for the visa. Do I provide this when I apply for the visa or one (or TWO!) years later when I apply for the extension?

Sorry for my confusion, but if I don't need the funds until I apply for the extension (which I will do in Thailand) I don't need to bother trying to open a Thai bank account while still in the UK. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 05.32.39.png

Edited by Forethat

The reason I ask about the point at which I provide evidence of 800,000 THB is that I don't have a Thai bank account anymore. The requirements say's I need to show "a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht" when I apply for the visa. Do I provide this when I apply for the visa or one (or TWO!) years later when I apply for the extension?

Sorry for my confusion, but if I don't need the funds until I apply for the extension (which I will do in Thailand) I don't need to bother trying to open a Thai bank account while still in the UK. 

5a81296ad545e_ScreenShot2018-02-12at05_32_39.png.dab28073b4a24860545fa0c0278be3be.png&key=10ade592adbec8a932346112d5d54193ab0ecd5fed6920a4d9dc652b8218b388

You meet the financial requirements for the non imm o-a via your accounts in your home country. Then you will not need to provide any additional financial info, i.e. accounts in a Thai bank or via British embassy verification until a year later, or two years it you time a border run, when you apply for your extension of stay based on retirement at your local immigration office in Thailand.

No need for a Thai bank when you apply for the non imm o-a.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Question ..... Have you been to Thailand before?

If NOT, come for a one / two month stay in the area where you THINK you might want to stay, with the ability to change location.

Yes, I have worked for six years in Thailand and have - how shall I put this - strong ties to the place...:thumbsup:

But both your concern and question are valid.

• Like 2

You may want to consider having an agent do the mechanics for you. The good ones are unlikely to trip up on the details, and there is a lot of detail involved. If you can afford it, IMHO it's money well spent avoiding headaches when it comes to crunch time.

4 hours ago, Forethat said:

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 05.32.39.png

• If you are applying the the UK you will not get a non-immigrant 'O' visa unless you are in receipt of state pension.
  • If you go for the 'O-A' you need to show the equivalent (based on the exchange rate on the day you apply) of 800K in your bank in the UK or Thailand when you apply for the visa.
  • When you apply for the extension of stay based on retirement, in Thailand, the 800K must be in a Thai bank (for at least 60 days) account in your name. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:
  • If you are applying the the UK you will not get a non-immigrant 'O' visa unless you are in receipt of state pension.
  • If you go for the 'O-A' you need to show the equivalent (based on the exchange rate on the day you apply) of 800K in your bank in the UK or Thailand when you apply for the visa.
  • When you apply for the extension of stay based on retirement, in Thailand, the 800K must be in a Thai bank (for at least 60 days) account in your name. 

Here's what I will do:

1. I will apply for ME O-A and provide evidence of funds in my UK bank.

2. A couple of days after my ME O-A expires I will make a visa run and acquire an additional 1-year permission to stay

3. During the second year of stay, I will apply for an Extension to Stay based on retirement, at which point I will provide evidence of funds again. This time I will use my Thai bank.

Here's a rhetorical question: I have heard people mentioning that they DONT need to have the funds in a Thai bank. This really doesn't matter to me because I will use my Thai bank account anyway, but out of interest - is it possible to use a non-Thai bank when applying for the extension? 

19 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Here's what I will do:

1. I will apply for ME O-A and provide evidence of funds in my UK bank.

2. A couple of days after my ME O-A expires I will make a visa run and acquire an additional 1-year permission to stay

3. During the second year of stay, I will apply for an Extension to Stay based on retirement, at which point I will provide evidence of funds again. This time I will use my Thai bank.

Here's a rhetorical question: I have heard people mentioning that they DONT need to have the funds in a Thai bank. This really doesn't matter to me because I will use my Thai bank account anyway, but out of interest - is it possible to use a non-Thai bank when applying for the extension? 

2. You need to make the last entry using the visa before the ME ‘O-A’ visa expires.

3. You can only apply for an extension within the last 30 days (maybe 45) of any 1 year permit to stay.

No it’s not possible without help. There are agents with contacts in immigration that can get extensions arranged fraudulently. However, for legit applications the funds must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

2. You need to make the last entry using the visa before the ME ‘O-A’ visa expires.

3. You can only apply for an extension within the last 30 days (maybe 45) of any 1 year permit to stay.

No it’s not possible without help. There are agents with contacts in immigration that can get extensions arranged fraudulently. The funds must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name.

2. Of course, I do the visa run BEFORE the visa expires...and nothing else!

3. Yup, which in reality should be something like 1 year 11 months after the O-A was issued (if I time it correctly) 

That's what I was thinking - it just didn't seem right. Plenty of people who claim they do it though...

2. You have to do it before your visa expires to get a new one year entry. After it expires you would only get a visa exempt entry.

Then you would need a re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid if you want to travel.

3. You will be able to apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the one year entry.

The 800k baht will have to be in a Thai bank of 60 days on the date you appy. 

As an alternative to money in a Thai bank for an extension of stay you can meet the financial requirements via a monthly income that is verified by your embassy in Bangkok. The requirements are the same (in baht) as those for the non imm o-a.

If you use the money in the bank solution for an extension of stay, that money must be in a deposit account in a Thai bank.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

As an alternative to money in a Thai bank for an extension of stay you can meet the financial requirements via a monthly income that is verified by your embassy in Bangkok. The requirements are the same (in baht) as those for the non imm o-a.

Info on the British Embassy's procedures to be followed in obtaining the necessary verification is at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

• Like 1