When will the haze subside?

Allen Ginsing

no, it is not farmers, it is those pesky foreigners bringing their 2.5 micron particles into the country with them, the malaysisans, laos, burmese jungle burners, indonesians, bangladeshis who are cuasing the haze.

Thai farmers are good people just earning money

why the negative vibes man

Currently 129 index in Chiang Mai. I can tell when smoke season is here by the patina of dust on my car. Won't clear until mid-April, based on 8 year's previous experience.

It would be humorous if it was not so stupid. The Thai government has big billboards on major highways which proclaim burning off is prohibited - in English. Presumably we falangs are major contributors to the smoke problem.

9 hours ago, manchega said:

no, it is not farmers, it is those pesky foreigners bringing their 2.5 micron particles into the country with them, the malaysisans, laos, burmese jungle burners, indonesians, bangladeshis who are cuasing the haze.

Thai farmers are good people just earning money

why the negative vibes man

Don't forget that a large percentage of this smoke apparently comes from burning rice and corn residue.  Both crops would have been given regular doses of insecticide, so guess what we're breathing now?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Currently 129 index in Chiang Mai. I can tell when smoke season is here by the patina of dust on my car. Won't clear until mid-April, based on 8 year's previous experience.

It would be humorous if it was not so stupid. The Thai government has big billboards on major highways which proclaim burning off is prohibited - in English. Presumably we falangs are major contributors to the smoke problem.

Yep.

And I have seen, on more than several occasions, farmers burning their fields right under the actual huge 'burning illegal' signs and billboards... in the middle of the day, next to a main road... so hardly seems like this is a deterrent.  

Rather terrible in Hua Hin as well. And its been like that for weeks, ouside of a couple days where it cleared out. Was NOT like this last year. I've lived in Chiang Mai before for a few years, and left partly due to the smoke issue. I would say that this year in Hua Hin is on par with the worst time in Chiang Mai for smoke (around march). Ironically, i've paid a visit to Chiang Mai last month to get away from the Hua Hin haze for a few days..and it was rather lovely and clear up there! Now considering moving back to CM..

On 2/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, masuk said:

Don't forget that a large percentage of this smoke apparently comes from burning rice and corn residue.  Both crops would have been given regular doses of insecticide, so guess what we're breathing now?

my point about the farmers exactly.  but insecticides ok some will be in a worse state after in proper combustion but, still I don't understand is it their own people they want to lie to or is it the rest of the world?

reminds me of the expression don't thai to me

I guess it is international

I can only refer to BKK but, in 30 years, I've never seen the city so 'hazy'. There's no doubt in my mind this is car pollution.

While we've been enjoying an exceptionally long cool season, i wonder if the cool temperatures are causing an inversion which traps all that pollution.

P.S. Happy V.D. to all!

On 2/14/2018 at 3:45 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

I can only refer to BKK but, in 30 years, I've never seen the city so 'hazy'. There's no doubt in my mind this is car pollution.

While we've been enjoying an exceptionally long cool season, i wonder if the cool temperatures are causing an inversion which traps all that pollution.

P.S. Happy V.D. to all!

it is cars as well.

But if you look at those independents wot monitor the air condition it appears burning stuff is the major cause

Archived