Bangkok Police Reinforce School Guards

george

Bangkok police reinforce guard for new school semester opening

BANGKOK: -- With a new semester to open on Monday, Bangkok police warned of traffic snarls and decided to reinforce guard around schools, the Bangkok Post reported on Thursday.

The beginning of term for the city's 1,614 schools could cause traffic chaos on many Bangkok streets, deputy city police commissioner Montree Chamroon was quoted by Bangkok Post as saying.

Traffic around some 23 certain schools were expected to be especially chaotic and the police planned to mobilise around 3,500 officers to direct traffic and minimize the congestion.

The police expected more than 4,000 vehicles on Monday morning to drive in a small alley on Samsen Road, where six kindergardens were located.

A 58-year Bangkokian named Chen, who is working in a company, told Xinhua, he planned to leave home earlier on Monday for fear of traffic congestion.

He worked at a company close to Bangkok Christian School on theSathorn Road, where the police carried out small-scale traffic curfew in the morning and afternoon for parents to deliver and receive their kids.

The traffic was especially bad on the first day of school, for young kids were reluctant to leave their parents in the car and lengthened the time of parking, police said.

While calling on parents to deliver their children as fast as possible at the gate of schools, the police also prepared standing-by trucks and mechanics in case some cars broke down during the floods.

--Agencies 2004-05-13

My school had orientation yesterday and in the morning there were quite a few police officers directing the traffic, which was very heavy. Funnily enough I was almost run over while walking on the pavement by a cop on a motorbike :o:D

School readies to reopen amid safety fears

In the face of repeated violence in the deep South, teachers at the remote Ban Khaowang school are struggling to make the beginning of a new term as smooth as possible and ensure the safety of everyone at the school.

The primary school, which is made up of 280 students, nine teachers and one janitor, is located in a sparsely populated area, with a hill in the background.

While no school in the area has been burned down, gunfights have happened from time to time and teachers have also been targets.

"I've been carrying guns since I came here because I have no confidence in the police," said acting headmaster Manote Sakorn, 46, who has been a teacher for 24 years and has taught at the Ban Khaowang school for six.

It is common for male teachers in the area to have guns, as they feel the need to protect themselves. However, at Ban Khaowang only Manote and 60-year-old janitor Doroheng Sa carry guns. Both reside at the school.

"Previously, I kept the gun in a drawer, but now I carry it at all times," said Manote, who was originally from Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Public schools have been the targets of torching since the recent spate of violence began on January 4, when 20 schools were burned down on the same day that 300 weapons were seized in a raid on an Army camp.

Manote said that education was repeatedly interrupted in the last semester because of the unstable security situation. The school could open only 184 days out of the required minimum teaching time of 200 days.

"This semester, there was a plan for the school to open two weeks early to make up for last semester. But, we couldn't do it because of another outbreak of violence last month," he said.

More security measures have been planned for all members of the school. Six out of the nine teachers are women, some of whom have to travel considerable distances across the province to get to the school.

"We have to arrange to meet in town before coming to school together," said Usarat Sapa, a 26-year-old teacher who resides in Yala's Muang district.

Usarat said that her transportation costs has increased from Bt20 to Bt100 a day because she has changed from riding a motorbike to driving a car to school.

Soldiers are being deployed to guard the school at the request of teachers' associations. But their presence seems to give little sense of comfort.

"The presence of soldiers will only make the situation more frightening, because it means that the situation is still dangerous," said Usarat.

All students of the school come from nearby areas. Teachers plan to pick up some students who live in areas deemed especially dangerous.

--The Nation 2004-05-17

They worry about security and then tell the kids,

"you cannot bring you phone to school."

Well screw you.

My son will have his phone with him, but will be turned off during class hours.