Driving In Thailand With A Tourist Visa

hi,

Following what I read it seems impossible to get a Thai driving license for motorbike or car when you stay here with a tourist visa.

So the only way to drive here is to drive without a thai license? but will the insurance company accept me with a european driving license?

Or maybe the best would be to subscribe with a thai name?

thanks for your help.

ps: what is your insurance company?

If you are a tourist, I believe you can drive on your own national licence, but to be sure, I would recommend that you get an international licence.

Whoever you rent from will check your documents.

The major companies use reasonable insurance companies and fair cover, but most street rentals will have little or no insurance. They'll have the documents, but if you have an accient, you're on your own.

Are you looking at BKK, or other town? We have car dealers on this web-site.

Your national license is not valid here, you must get an international.

Some rental companies do not care if you are legal or not so do not check your license.

I use AIG insurance, very good service and excellent pay out if you have an accident.

hi,

Following what I read it seems impossible to get a Thai driving license for motorbike or car when you stay here with a tourist visa.

So the only way to drive here is to drive without a thai license? but will the insurance company accept me with a european driving license?

thanks for your help.

ps: what is your insurance company?

You are quite correct frenchFARANGbkk, you cannot obtain a Thai licence with a tourist visa, you would need a non immigrant visa.

Most reputable hire companies insist on an internationan driving permit, and will not accept licences from country of origin. HOWEVER, a lot of the smaller less reputable companies are only too pleased to take your Baht, BUT be very careful with their insurance. They all claim that they have full insurance, this is not always the case, and in the event of an accident, the fact that you do not have a valid licence, your "insurance" immediately becomes NULL AND VOID.

They will often ask for your passport as security, in the event of an accident. This has happened so many time before, that the tourist police are fed up with trying to sort things out. DO NOT give them your passport, it's illegal for a start, and can cause you great inconvienence if you have an accident which is not your fault. The hire company will just want their pound of flesh anyway.

I trust this will help you.............

Thanks for that first post APEtley, you must have something none of us have. I have been hiring off Avis and all the rest in Thailand for twenty years, and all they will accept from me is my International (backed up by that countries licence) or my Thai licence. What deoderant do yoy use :o

Will the insurance company accept me with a european driving license?

Most reputable hire companies insist on an internationan driving permit, and will not accept licences from country of origin. HOWEVER, a lot of the smaller less reputable companies are only too pleased to take your Baht, BUT be very careful with their insurance. They all claim that they have full insurance, this is not always the case, and in the event of an accident, the fact that you do not have a valid licence, your "insurance" immediately becomes NULL AND VOID.

:o Blimey! This is a shock to me. I have rented from Avis 4 or 5 times (the Branch at Wireless Road in Bangkok - near the UK Embassy) and never had a problem just showing them my UK driving license and passport, which they photocopied. They never asked me about any other license.

Will the insurance company accept me with a european driving license?

:o Blimey! This is a shock to me. I have rented from Avis 4 or 5 times (the Branch at Wireless Road in Bangkok - near the UK Embassy) and never had a problem just showing them my UK driving license and passport, which they photocopied. They never asked me about any other license.

An international driving licence is nothing more or less than the translation of the national driving licence. - It is NOT a driving licence by itself.

The international driving licence without the original national driving licence might be not accepted by an insurance company in case of accidents. You have (in my case - Japanese driving licence) present BOTH, the national one AND the translation (international driving licence)

There are often bilateral agreements that both countries accept both national driving licences of the visitor and do not insist to bring the translation (international driving licence)

However some national driving licences are difficult to read and to understand (like my own one, Japanese driving licence) - For Thailand in my case, I have to bring the international form with me. AVIS or Budget in Thailand are insisting to see the international driving licence in my case ( but maybe not required for the European countries...I do not know exactly)

An international driving licence is only valid for TOURISTS.... so if you have an accident, and you are not a tourist, but on a different visa-status, and you have no local driving licence, the insurance might refuse to pay....

Johann

Sorry Johann but you are wrong.

An international license does NOT depend on your visa to make it valid.

It may however may be limited to a few months use .

the international driving licence is ONLY a translation of the national driving licence,

it is valid maximum 1 year, and should your national driving licence expire earlier, then it is valid only up to that date.

the international driving licence for itself is NOT a valid driving licence...

and

you must present your local driving licence (this is the driving licence!)

and

the international driving licence is valid only outside of your country of residence for the reason of an international accepted form - as an official translation

If you are European, and you have an permanent address in Thailand, then you cannot use the European driving licence in Thailand - in strict legal terms of the law! (of the international convention on road traffic)

What is not really important for the police or even rent-a-car shop, they do not care really, is getting very important for insurance companies in case of accidents...

1- the agreement of 1949/9/19 convention on road traffic says clearly, driving with your national driving licence and the international driving licence is valid only in case of a temporarly visitor (tourist, businessman), who does NOT have a permanent address in the country, where he is driving, using this document....

2- we had such complaints here in our embassy in Japan in case of accidents, where students with 3 years permit, and even diplomats (accreditation in Japan, not a visitor) had accidents, using international driving licence, because they did not care and did not apply for the local driving licence....

3- the insurance companies refused to pay...

4- as there are bilateral agreements, lawyers of the victim in case of a severe or fatal accident, might follow you even back to your country of residence....

5- Thailand is not that problem, but here in Japan claims might easily reach some million us-dollars.....

Be careful, usually insurance companies do not like to pay huge amounts so easily without a thorough examination of all facts...

I also read somewhere here on the Thai Forum, that a poster said, the insurance company did not accept his claim because of the international driving licence... it was his car, he was a resident, but he had NO Thai driving licence...

Johann

It is called 'INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT', it is not a license in itself, but only in connection with a national driving license and is valid for temporary use only, this was explained to me by my issuing office (London main post office).

Staying in Thailand on a non-imm. visa does not only entitle one to acquire a Thai national driving license, but it is required to have one to drive vehicles.

I can't remember where I looked this up, it is some years ago...

the international driving licence is ONLY a translation of the national driving licence,

My International License is in English and strangely enough so is my UK license.

Perhaps you would be good enough to explain where the translation bit comes in.

My International License is in English and strangely enough so is my UK license.

It depends on the country - in your case yes - basically the same contents...

my one for example is in Japanese, and internationally unuseable, as even the

driving licence groups like car max weight, truck and bus regulations are different of international rules.

The international driving licence is not only a translation because of the language,

but a translation from regional rules into international rules....

for example:

group ordinary in Japan up to 5000 kg = group B up to 3500 kg international....

group heavy in Japan = group C and D (truck - bus) - international.....

it is not only from Japanese into English as translation, but also to translate the according driving licence groups....into the international recognized ones, ...

like A (motorcycle) B (car)....

Johann

You forget one important issue (in my humble opinion)

Int.drivers licence should mention: acc.to int.treaty 19 Sept 1949.

May be my translation into english is not 100% but the date is essential!

If you bother to open your intern. driving permit, it says what it says in English in 7 other languages as well. Thai isn't one of them, but here we go...

Wow... lots of convoluted answers to a simple question.

If you're renting a car then present your European license along with an international driving license. If you're buying then you need to check with the insurance company as to what their requirements are.

One does need an affidavit from a local embassy to get a Thai driver's license, but the due diligence on the embassy's part was, "Where do you live?" and then they issued me the form.

Cheers!

You forget one important issue (in my humble opinion)

Int.drivers licence should mention: acc.to int.treaty 19 Sept 1949.

May be my translation into english is not 100% but the date is essential!

I did this in one of my previous post already,

Yohan Posted on Fri 2004-05-14, 01:16:27

1- the agreement of 1949/9/19 convention on road traffic says clearly, driving with your national driving licence and the international driving licence is valid only in case of a temporarly visitor (tourist, businessman), who does NOT have a permanent address in the country, where he is driving, using this document....

.... by the way,there are 3 different agreements.....

for Thailand the Convention on the road 19.sep.1949 is the correct one, as for most other countries - (very few countries are excluded of the 19.sep.1949 treaty)....

Johann

Sure, the UK licence is in English, my Thai one is in Thai. I used to have a Swiss one, in all three official languages and I have an EU-licence which only show standard numbers for translation.

The point comes to official language. Whereas English is used as mean of communication around the world, there are only so many countries who do use it as well as official lingo. I do not know how many, perhaps 20, 25 or a few more, but doubt even a police man in Nakhon Nowhere will be able to read English.

Your national licence is not valid in Thailand, unless accompanied by an official translation into Thai. As an alternative, one can use the International Driving Permit (19/Sep/1949) together with the valid national one.

The international language used in the Driving permit is French. The one I have in my hand, issued in Hong Kong is in French, with translations into Danish, Arabic, German, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and English. Yohan said it already, it also specifies the categories of vehicles you may drive.

Validity for tourists only? Let's put it that way, Your Intern. Dr. Permit is NOT not valid in the country of issue but you can use it in all other countries being a member of the 1949-convention for a certain time, usually 6-12 months max.

Once you become a resident in a country, you do need to have a local licence. This does not mean you must have PR in Thailand, but once your permit to stay is changed from visitor or tourist (visa) to another category, the traffic-office will treat you as resident.

Such point would become extremely important in case of a major accident, where even in Thailand :o lawyers would try to get your insurance out of liability. Just imagine there is a case where you are liable for 1 or 10 million Baht and a lawyer would prove that you live longtime in the country. Your case would be dismissed in favour of the insurance company as you are guilty of driving without a valid licence.

Yohan said it already, it also specifies the categories of vehicles you may drive.

Once you become a resident in a country, you do need to have local licence. This does not mean you must have PR in Thailand, but once your permit to stay is changed from visitor or tourist (visa) to another category, the traffic-office will treat you as resident.

Such point would become extremely important in case of a major accident, where even in Thailand  :o lawyers would try to get your insurance out of liability. Just imagine there is a case where you a liable for 1 or 10 million Baht and a lawyer would prove that you live longtime in the country. Your case would be dismissed in favour of the insurance company as you are guilty of driving without a valid licence.

The categories you are allowed to drive internationally are not necessarily the same in your national driving licence...

As I said, here in Japan, the limit is 5000 kg, international it is 3500 kg,

The same car in Japan with the ordinary licence, requires internationally the C (heavy) licence and the B is not enough....

And as Axel said, the problem is in case of a major accident....

Resident or non-resident, correct international driving licence, valid or expired local driving licence, category of the vehicle ....

If the driving licence is not valid, the insurance will not pay, beside that it is a criminal offence, which might bring you behind bars in case of a serious accident.

Axels posting is correct, and confirming, what I also posted on this forum...

Johann

If you bother to open your intern. driving permit, it says what it says in English in 7 other languages as well. Thai isn't one of them, but here we go...

Sorry but my international license is all in English.

Sorry but my international license is all in English.

It depends of which country and which organisation issued it.

In my case it is in Japanese, Chinese, French, English, Russian and Spanish.

However the explication of categories of vehicles are always identical, A, B, C, D, E

(quite different of what we have in our local driving permits here in Japan)

and this should be in French (in my one it is in French, which is the offical language for the 19/9/1949 agreement)

There is however an additional agreement 1968 - I am not a lawyer... maybe there is some exception of this rule (I do not know really) or some pages are missing in your international driving licence...

Johann

One does need an affidavit from a local embassy to get a Thai driver's license, but the due diligence on the embassy's part was, "Where do you live?" and then they issued me the form

Guess it depends where you are.

Certainly NOT required in Udon Thani.

For any of you with an old style British licence, there is another difference...

The IDP has your photo in it.

(and if you have a photo-card UK driving licence, you "might" be OK with the police since it's in English, but Thailand still officially requires an IDP).

What's involved in getting a Thai licence if you already have a foreign one.

What put me off is the written test in Thai, but if they're willing to issue one to someone with a foreign licence without doing the test...

I'm still on my permit to enter, and fly back and forth enough that I don't see me applying for a permit to stay any time soon, but I do have a residence here that my wife owns, and we do spend most of the year here now, so a Thai licence is probably safer than relying on my IDP.

One does need an affidavit from a local embassy to get a Thai driver's license, but the due diligence on the embassy's part was, "Where do you live?" and then they issued me the form

Guess it depends where you are.

Certainly NOT required in Udon Thani.

This is nothing new here in Asia, we in Japan here in the embassy also have to issue a confirmation (or call it translation) of the local driving licence, if it is for the reason to get the Japanese one.

Local address registration in Japan is necessary - otherwise we cannot do it.

The reason is, that there are plenty of fakes, stolen licences and passports everywhere....

The Japanese Driving Licence Office just wants to make sure, that the applicant did contact the embassy and showed up there with his/her papers....driving licence and passport.

In Thailand probably the same, Thai thinking in the administration is often similar to the Japanese way....

Johann

If you are a tourist, I believe you can drive on your own national licence, but to be sure, I would recommend that you get an international licence.

Whoever you rent from will check your documents.

The major companies use reasonable insurance companies and fair cover, but most street rentals will have little or no insurance. They'll have the documents, but if you have an accient, you're on your own.

Are you looking at BKK, or other town? We have car dealers on this web-site.

Not Correct.

The only National Driving licences permitted are from ASEAN countries!!

Otherwise you MUST have an International Driving Permit to fullfill Insurance requirements, to say nothing of the law.