Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

EPA’s bands for Good, Moderate, etc are based on 24 hour numbers. If you are exposed to a 24hr average PM2.5 of 100, it is unhealthy. AQICN, however, uses the 1hr number. The health implications for exposure to a 1-hr average number has not been determined. This means that the risk is almost certainly overstated.

Saying that, this 1hr number is far more useful for making on the spot decisions about outdoor activities than the 3hr PSI which looks at longer trends. Yes, use AQICN, but do not expect the government to announce a state of emergency based on their numbers.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ubidots figures are so wildly different from the other readings for northern Thailand that there must be something amiss. Anyone who's been out and about in Chiangmai city knows that the air in CMU, Mae Hia and  Suan Dok is really pretty dirty - just walk around for an hour and blow your nose into a clean handkerchief  to see the black filth all us city dwellers endure.   Get real!

10 minutes ago, TheScribe said:

The ubidots figures are so wildly different from the other readings for northern Thailand that there must be something amiss. Anyone who's been out and about in Chiangmai city knows that the air in CMU, Mae Hia and  Suan Dok is really pretty dirty - just walk around for an hour and blow your nose into a clean handkerchief  to see the black filth all us city dwellers endure.   Get real!

ubidots reading are not different from the government one, because they are based on real measurements, use sensors and real-time.

Absolutelly, blatant lies, today is sunny days, no where dust or smoke in air.

30 minutes ago, LolaS said:

ubidots reading are not different from the government one, because they are based on real measurements, use sensors and real-time.

Absolutelly, blatant lies, today is sunny days, no where dust or smoke in air.

So you can see the mountains clearly then? Or has David Copperfield done a trick?

Just have a look at the NASA firemaps and you clearly see that there are hundreds of fields on fire.

The official Thai Pollution Control Department does its own data collection and publishes hourly figures on the website aqmthai.com.  Its not easy to use but getting pm2.5 is possible for the two monitoring stations in Chiangmai.  Here's the one for Chang Puak. It is a lot lower than the aqicn figures.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 16.11.13.png

2 hours ago, TheScribe said:

The official Thai Pollution Control Department does its own data collection and publishes hourly figures on the website aqmthai.com.  Its not easy to use but getting pm2.5 is possible for the two monitoring stations in Chiangmai.  Here's the one for Chang Puak. It is a lot lower than the aqicn figures.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 16.11.13.png

Can you check if the relative readings are much different from one month to the next. Could it not be that they are using a different scale?

There's lots of info on the aqicn.org website about how they collect and present the data.  All air pollution data on particulates are measured in micro-grammes per cubic metre (equal to ppb or parts-per-billion).  

Quite why the Thai and Chinese websites show very different values for what seems to be the same monitoring stations is a mystery to me.  

On the aqmthai.com site, you need to click the "report" tab, choose "manual report", choose  35t or 36 t for either of the 2 monitoring stations supported, enter dates and report type, choose pm10 or pm2.5, choose dates, click button for table or graph. All damn fiddly but it can be done...

LolaS, sunny day or not tells us nothing about particulate air pollution.  Nothing at all.  aqicn website tells us how the data is collected and reported.  Look at http://aqicn.org/gaia/.   Satellite readings are never mentioned at all.  I think you're making the whole thing up.  But why?

28 minutes ago, TheScribe said:

There's lots of info on the aqicn.org website about how they collect and present the data.  All air pollution data on particulates are measured in micro-grammes per cubic metre (equal to ppb or parts-per-billion).  

Quite why the Thai and Chinese websites show very different values for what seems to be the same monitoring stations is a mystery to me.  

On the aqmthai.com site, you need to click the "report" tab, choose "manual report", choose  35t or 36 t for either of the 2 monitoring stations supported, enter dates and report type, choose pm10 or pm2.5, choose dates, click button for table or graph. All damn fiddly but it can be done...

LolaS, sunny day or not tells us nothing about particulate air pollution.  Nothing at all.  aqicn website tells us how the data is collected and reported.  Look at http://aqicn.org/gaia/.   Satellite readings are never mentioned at all.  I think you're making the whole thing up.  But why?

aqicn state

The Gaia Ax series is a semi-professional Air Quality monitoring product

I trust science and professional measurement, I dont trust approximation,  there are 3 sensors one in CMU, one in suandok, and second in maehia.

also they measure close to road. AQICN is unrealiable, 

LolaS wrote: "there are 3 sensors one in CMU, one in suandok, and second in maehia."

Well that is good.  I hope you can now set up a public website that gives us all the information that they are collecting.  I'm looking forward to seeing it!

have been looking for more info on measuring stations for CMU, Suan Dokh, Mae Hia and can find nothing. It says above that they monitor close to the road, this would suggest that there is info out there giving the specific location. Would someone be so kind as to point me to that info.

2 hours ago, TheScribe said:

LolaS wrote: "there are 3 sensors one in CMU, one in suandok, and second in maehia."

Well that is good.  I hope you can now set up a public website that gives us all the information that they are collecting.  I'm looking forward to seeing it!

but I posted

48 minutes ago, cmsally said:

have been looking for more info on measuring stations for CMU, Suan Dokh, Mae Hia and can find nothing. It says above that they monitor close to the road, this would suggest that there is info out there giving the specific location. Would someone be so kind as to point me to that info.

but I posted those links.

There is only the link page for a site called Ubidots that seems to have nothing to do specifically with pollution measuring. Is there any cross reference to prove those measuring sites actually exist, and I still don't see any actual evidence to back up that they measure "close to the road".

10 hours ago, cmsally said:

There is only the link page for a site called Ubidots that seems to have nothing to do specifically with pollution measuring. Is there any cross reference to prove those measuring sites actually exist, and I still don't see any actual evidence to back up that they measure "close to the road".

but that is direct contact ( two links) to the creators of those sensors, you can contact and talk with them directly. That is why is called interent of things, I saw the same question asked there in the group, It was you?

you have all rights to ask these question, it is legitimate to know, but I provided both links. Am I wrong? if you cant see I can repost again

On 4.3.2018 at 9:25 AM, TheScribe said:

Unhealthy readings for Chiangmai and Lampang continue.  Nan, Phrea,  Mae Hongson,  Maesai have clean air.  

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.19.16.png

some of this readings are the "aqi" for pm10 and not for pm2.5 (e.g. maesai ...).

you can not compare pm2.5 with pm10 readings!

"AQI" and ... µm/m3 readings are not the same!! be carefully not mixing up!!
http://aqicn.org/faq/2013-09-09/revised-pm25-aqi-breakpoints/

On the public websites, measuring sites are at Yupparat, City Office, now there seems to be CMIS and Prem also.

A search in Thai brings up a govt website which seems consistent in mentioning Sriphum and ChangPuak. There is also one mentioned for Suthep but given a different code and marker (portable station??).

For many of the govt sites measurements are of PM10 only

Yupparaj and City Office would seem to be affiliated with Tesabahn as are mentioned on their site. If someone would like to provide approx locations of Yupparaj and Sriphum pollution meters I have no objections trying to hunt them down ! :shock1:

Today the aqmthai site is not working.  Anyway, here is a screenshot from aqicn, showing central and northern Thailand.  Chiangmai, Lampang and Lamphun are very smoggy now. Also Khon Kaen. Mae Sot very polluted.  

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.46.42.png

40 minutes ago, cmsally said:

AQI for PM2.5 CMIS this morning is 197. Yesterday it was up in the purple which means basically you shouldn't go outside!!

calculated per HOUR not mer minute

4 hours ago, cmsally said:

A quick calculation on an AQI calculator would have an average AQI of 180 at 111 for concentration.

I believe this is almost 5 times the recommended WHO level for PM2.5

Actually, PM 2.5 levels above 10 are not safe based on a meta study that was done in 2014.   Chiang Mai should be renamed Death Valley because that is what it is.  Anyone who chooses to live in such an ongoing and ever increasing polluted environment like CM should not complain when it wrecks their health and leads to an early death as it will do to some of your reading this right now.  Not conjecture - simply the facts.

Chiang Mai should be renamed Death Valley because that is what it is. 

Please get this word out to Tripadvisor, and all those other sites that advocate retiring in CM. We're inundated now with folks who took the bait. Sadly, for all the Chinese invaders, CM is just a breath of fresh air compared to their major cities' pollution. So, their overload here will not be discouraged.

Somehow the pollution doesn't seem to bother me, at least noticeably. I'm sure there's something else that will kill me other than bad air. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the hazy countryside -- and just chalk it up to "that's just Thailand."

Archived