Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

On a different note, Chiang Mai Airport(CNX) reports the Weather is VFR(Visual Flight Rules) and visibility is 4KM???  CNX has a major obstruction to the Northwest(a big mountain) and if an aircraft has an emergency after takeoff then the only option is to return to CNX.  I cannot imagined making an emergency landing under these conditions.  

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

On a different note, Chiang Mai Airport(CNX) reports the Weather is VFR(Visual Flight Rules) and visibility is 4KM???  CNX has a major obstruction to the Northwest(a big mountain) and if an aircraft has an emergency after takeoff then the only option is to return to CNX.  I cannot imagined making an emergency landing under these conditions.  

Yep...lots of localised smoke plumes of various densities.

Might even be less than 500m visibility ahead at times up there.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am not sure where you are getting that. Here are the official METARs for the last several hours:

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/index?submit=1&station_ids=VTCC&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=2&chk_tafs=on&std_trans=translated

Visibility is currently 1600' (1.59 km) and IFR and it has been since morning. 

Wonder if anybody will be going for a run later in the Chiang Mai night marathon?  ????

http://www.gotorace.com/event/chiangmai-night-marathon/

https://www.facebook.com/events/chiang-mai-international-exhibition-and-convention-centre/chiangmai-night-marathon-2019/320264205255514/

20 hours ago, Ustravelers said:

My wife and I are supposed to be headed to Chiang mai on an award trip we won with my USA based company. Is this safe for American travelers? Everyone will be coming from Us and EU and reading this makes me quite worried. Any advice whether or not to take this trip would be helpful. Thank you!

Why do you ask specifically about American travelers and then US and Eu travelers?

What difference does it make or are one of the folks who think yanks are special?

6 minutes ago, brommers said:

Oh yes Vivid it is certainly improving. The pm2,5 level 8s now only 240,8 micrograms per cubic metre. Yaay, only 10 times the WHO safe limit. I feel so much better!

Slowly does it dude.....  ????  At such high levels it'd take a while.  

State of Emergency urged to be declared.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366833

Also reported here

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-urged-to-declare-emergency-in-chiang-mai-as-air-pollution-hits-disastrous

State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

national March 30, 2019 12:15

21 hours ago, Ustravelers said:

My wife and I are supposed to be headed to Chiang mai on an award trip we won with my USA based company. Is this safe for American travelers? Everyone will be coming from Us and EU and reading this makes me quite worried. Any advice whether or not to take this trip would be helpful. Thank you!

Good for you winning an award for your USA based company (whatever it is).   You get a nice gold star.  Sadly, it's not safe for American travelers such as yourself.  You are better to stay put in America.  I don't know where 'Us' is located.   I only know U.S. 

Some advise for you, as you did say 'any' advise would be helpful...….   do not take the trip.  You will be glad to know that EVERYONE from the EU can still come as its safe for them.  If everyone is coming from the EU, the EU is going to be pretty quiet... you might go there instead.  

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Please provide a reference/source information for that.  It is a bit hard to believe.

Sure. Excerpt below is from full story here.

"Mae Hong Son Governor Sirirat Chamupakarn notified the Mae Hong Son Prevention and Suppression of Forest Fire and Haze Centre that the province was “in the process of fuel management”. This entails “Ching Pao” – prescribed burning

Flew back into Chiang Mai last Saturday, flight was delayed because of 'weather conditions' they said. Didn't know what they meant at first.

Here's a pic I took descending into Chiang Mai about the same time last year. The smog appears to have a crisp edge to it.

IMG_20180321_140249009.thumb.jpg.d4bcc23942d3bad83380d42f3dbdc414.jpg

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Sure. Excerpt below is from full story here.

"Mae Hong Son Governor Sirirat Chamupakarn notified the Mae Hong Son Prevention and Suppression of Forest Fire and Haze Centre that the province was “in the process of fuel management”. This entails “Ching Pao” – prescribed burning

"This entails “Ching Pao” – prescribed burning (applying low-intensity fire to a predetermined area to clear materials that can ignite an out-of-control forest fire), making fertiliser from agricultural waste and burying farm waste as per each district’s action plan.  "

What materials exactly in those predetermined areas can ignite out-of-control forest fire? maybe those that just happen to cover the precious mushrooms?

And what does the burning have to do with making fertilizer from agricultural waste and burying it?

My point was that coming from the US the air is cleaner here, it is a fact...sorry. We are quite sensitive to the air quality and concerned. Sorry if you took this the wrong way and read it as I dont care about anyone else, it is not true. In this case I am worried about everyone’s health and the effects this has on the enviormnt. It is very sad to see pollution reach these levels and I hope change is made.

If anyone wants an additional definition to the word stupidity it should be people that live in CM that stick around during off the chart levels of air pollution and think it won't have an impact on their health.  You people are really amazing, but not in a good way. 

So keep the posts going on what the current levels are, where can you buy an air purifier, etc etc. as none of this really matters.  Many of you are already screwed by your inaction to get out when you could have so just stay put where you are at.  The world is overpopulated already so this may be one way of reducing the herd and many of you obviously have a herd mentality.  Final post on this and anything else with the CM forum as you people just don't get it.

Peaks of > AQI 1000 sustained for 13-14 hours were experienced in both Laos and Myanmar. 

Myanmar city of Lashio recorded a peak of AQI 1683 Laos city of Paksan recorded a peak of AQI 1474.  

Details and screenshots of data is posted in the other thread titled "cough cough".

Suthep Rd is currenly blocked due to ... Chiangmai Night Marathon-2019! Loads off runners ????‍♂️ mostly a students but I saw even a few farangs running in their masks 

If anyone wants an additional definition to the word stupidity it should be people that live in CM that stick around during off the chart levels of air pollution and think it won't have an impact on their health.  You people are really amazing, but not in a good way. 

So keep the posts going on what the current levels are, where can you buy an air purifier, etc etc. as none of this really matters.  Many of you are already screwed by your inaction to get out when you could have so just stay put where you are at.  The world is overpopulated already so this may be one way of reducing the herd and many of you obviously have a herd mentality.  Final post on this and anything else with the CM forum as you people just don't get it.

Oh shut up, you won't be missed, pillock.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

Suthep Rd is currenly blocked due to ... Chiangmai Night Marathon-2019! Loads off runners ????‍♂️ mostly a students but I saw even a few farangs running in their masks 

With mask is definitely better than no mask.   It's their sport and interest, personal choice and it's good that they chose to protect themselves.

image.png.6c8ecb4ebf9a7ae7f323339e7cd58253.png

10 hours ago, jimgilly said:

... Final post on this and anything else with the CM forum as you people just don't get it.

We relish your absence for the brief moment before we forget you.

~o:37;

Archived