BANGKOK 21 February 2019 22:42
cmsally

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

Been here for years (if you add up all my trips).....it's really the same from almost 10-years ago.  What has changed?  ME.  I'm a little more sensitive to the smoke, and I need some meds if allergies get bad.  

My advice.  Go to a town with GREAT air.  Just to remember that feeling.  I experienced it a few weeks ago, and it was like magic.  lol.  really.  I'm thinking that living in the mountains might be OK one month a year.  Before, it was 11 months.  I've changed.  

On 12/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, puukao said:

Been here for years (if you add up all my trips).....it's really the same from almost 10-years ago.  What has changed?  ME.  I'm a little more sensitive to the smoke, and I need some meds if allergies get bad.  

My advice.  Go to a town with GREAT air.  Just to remember that feeling.  I experienced it a few weeks ago, and it was like magic.  lol.  really.  I'm thinking that living in the mountains might be OK one month a year.  Before, it was 11 months.  I've changed.  

Were you away?  The past week has been truly excellent.  Crisp blue skies and you can see Doi Inthanon from town.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

The past week has been truly excellent.

The clarity does seem a lot better for this time of year but "excellent" seems a little bit over the top. Air quality measurements are still in the yellow health zone and if you look straight out at the horizons the sky has a strong brownish color haze to it.

• Like 1

Last week I saw the best PM 2.5 readings I've ever seen here. Two days in a row my monitor was reading from 8 to 10 both mornings.

Just rode up the 107 through Fang, on to Thaton, and spent the night in Maesalong.  So much burning going on I had to resort to wearing a mask on the motorbike.  Arrived back in Chiang Mai and my clothes smelt of smoke.  Doesn't bode well for the upcoming smoky season.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 9:04 AM, Ruffian Dick said:

No, I’m in Chang Pheuak right now and can barely smell smoke. AQI is supposed to be “152”, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well you don’t smell <2.5 microns ..... sorry....

• Like 2

On 3/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, LolaS said:

AQI site is not the reliable or reputable source of information, their technology is not based on real-time in-situ measurement, they don't use sensors on the ground, they calculate from approximation from satellite images, These approximations cannot defer from water vapor and PM2.5 particles

If AQI is not a reliable site....what is the most reliable site for <2.5

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 2:57 PM, bkk6060 said:

Like I said, i do not waste my time with machines.

All  good where i was, sorry you were not so fortunate.  Or, get those machines calibrated.

A human red blood cell is about 5 microns wide.

The dangerous particles we are talking about are less than 2.5 microns wide.

• Like 1

The last few days I don't think I smelled smoke in the air, very nice.  Of course it's pretty sad when "I don't think I will smell smoke today" because a necessary thought.  

anyhow, the second-half January has been very good.  so far

I'm not sure if we are in the same Chiang Mai.

Starting Wednesday the air quality has been quite bad. Smokey and can barely see the mountains at times. Farmers burning all over the place.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, puukao said:

The last few days I don't think I smelled smoke in the air, very nice.  Of course it's pretty sad when "I don't think I will smell smoke today" because a necessary thought.  

anyhow, the second-half January has been very good.  so far

Instead of an answer.
Hello, my dear Daughter,

in SE Asia there are many fires.
And where there is fire, there is smoke.
And the smoke is often not healthy at all.

But bad air also comes from the areas around Bangkok
and/or Mae Sot or Mae Mo, but also from our
dear friends in China. - Especially from there.
Od course, depending where the wind comes from.

Also smog travels from India over the Andaman Sea.
Or enters the Kingdom these days from Cambodia. .
Or it is produced by the many stinky cars/bikes that drive around everywhere ...
Or it might come from our place, when we are burning some wood...

So, mai pen rai?

On 12/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, grin said:

Last week I saw the best PM 2.5 readings I've ever seen here. Two days in a row my monitor was reading from 8 to 10 both mornings.

Time to recheck the readings. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1081540-smog-crisis-bangkok-9th-worst-in-world-but-chiang-mai-not-far-behind/

• Like 1

Notice how their photo is taken at a sharp up angle to hide the smoggy horizon from view. Not fooled.

10 minutes ago, canopy said:

Notice how their photo is taken at a sharp up angle to hide the smoggy horizon from view. Not fooled.

No, I don't notice that. The photo appears to be level, with half horizon, half blue sky, looking at a mountain in the distance and the view is crystal clear with no visible haze.

• Like 1