Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an out of season tropical system earlier in the week that was so powerful it created disaster areas in parts of upper Thailand but slid just under the far north. But even though it missed it improved the air for a few days. Now air quality is moving swiftly back to really bad levels. Will there be a lull for songkran? I read they are expecting low occupancy rates at hotels in CM due to the air pollution. That's good in two ways. First that many innocent tourists are safely avoiding needlessly suffering. And second the more the area is hit in the pocketbook for ruining the air the better.

aq11.png.1b4061f86e56dc2cdb35eadca53f8dd2.png

On 9 April 2019 at 1:39 PM, markcm19 said:

hello, wondering if anyone knows which xiaomi air filter replacement is best for chiang mai pollution (WOW! it is BAD!), where to get one, and what a good price for it would be? I have a filter already and its disgusting and needs to be changed. THank you !

i bought 2 they are useless in some respects really good at getting ait clean quickly but only on full power and it switches to automatic autonamatically after 1-3 hours then its useless so need to put it on every time it stops on full power also very noisy. I had 4 air purifiers 2 of them cost over 25,000 but cant find spare filters for 3 of them anywhere so they were useless only 1 i could get spare filters was a daiken but not all models check you can get spare filters I use xiaomi to get air clean quickly and will try and cannibalise 3 which willk give some protection also ill but naother daiken but most places out of stock 

40 minutes ago, icare999 said:

i bought 2 they are useless in some respects really good at getting ait clean quickly but only on full power and it switches to automatic autonamatically after 1-3 hours then its useless so need to put it on every time it stops on full power also very noisy. ...

have a look at ≠ 8, it could be the work around your looking for ... good luck

8 hours ago, icare999 said:

i bought 2 they are useless in some respects really good at getting ait clean quickly but only on full power and it switches to automatic autonamatically after 1-3 hours then its useless so need to put it on every time it stops on full power also very noisy. I had 4 air purifiers 2 of them cost over 25,000 but cant find spare filters for 3 of them anywhere so they were useless only 1 i could get spare filters was a daiken but not all models check you can get spare filters I use xiaomi to get air clean quickly and will try and cannibalise 3 which willk give some protection also ill but naother daiken but most places out of stock 

Go Lazada to check out the DIY HEPA filters, or any other spare filters that are of a bigger size. 

You can cut them up to size, if there are gaps at the side, just plug up with some tissue paper, bubble wrap or something.  Don't worry about the sealing, it's not that super important in real life for haze/air pollution at this magnitude.

So at least your 3 air purifiers still are usable, instead of just chucking them into the store.

I think the 24-hr AQI for quite a few stations (looking at aqicn only) in CM city might be hovering at around the AQI 200 mark, starting to be getting "Very Unhealthy".....unless if you have an AP running (luckily most would have).

On 12 April 2019 at 10:14 PM, vivid said:

Go Lazada to check out the DIY HEPA filters, or any other spare filters that are of a bigger size. 

You can cut them up to size, if there are gaps at the side, just plug up with some tissue paper, bubble wrap or something.  Don't worry about the sealing, it's not that super important in real life for haze/air pollution at this magnitude.

So at least your 3 air purifiers still are usable, instead of just chucking them into the store.

thanks i did that 

11 hours ago, icare999 said:

hi ? sorry dont understand workaround please explain 

icare999 said: ... i bought 2 they are useless in some respects really good at getting ait clean quickly but only on full power and it switches to automatic autonamatically after 1-3 hours then its useless so need to put it on every time it stops on full power also very noisy. ...

one member explains ( post nr 8 ), how to avid that xiaomi goes all 3 hours back to the automatic mode ...

i thought you are looking for a way to solve this issue ...

The rain was highly localised and very inconsistent. It will take a whole lot more rain, which is not forecast, before there is any meaningful improvement. But every time I drive past Ruamchok intersection and see the 10000 litre blue tank and it's dozen misters spraying water a metre into the air I breathe deeply and thank our Governor and the big man in Krungthep for doing so much to help us.

3 hours ago, brommers said:

The rain was highly localised and very inconsistent. It will take a whole lot more rain, which is not forecast, before there is any meaningful improvement. But every time I drive past Ruamchok intersection and see the 10000 litre blue tank and it's dozen misters spraying water a metre into the air I breathe deeply and thank our Governor and the big man in Krungthep for doing so much to help us.

The visit did help. Now no more news about the situation. Problem solved!

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

What is the present situation with the air quality in Chiang Mai. 

I am trying to plan a visit some time in May and I was wondering if it has improved any.

Improved, yes air quality has improved; however, it is still not great. We have had a few rains and blustery storms and by May the air quality should be better.

Here is a link for you:

https://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

7 hours ago, NE1 said:

What is the present situation with the air quality in Chiang Mai. 

I am trying to plan a visit some time in May and I was wondering if it has improved any.

It's much better than what we had during March / Early April, but may still deteriorate again if rains don't persist. I'd try to schedule the visit to be as late as possible.

23 hours ago, bubba said:

Improved, yes air quality has improved; however, it is still not great. We have had a few rains and blustery storms and by May the air quality should be better.

Here is a link for you:

https://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Great.

All will be forgotten until February next year when the worthless waste of time complaints will go for 2 months, until 2021 comes around.

3 hours ago, cnxgary said:

How far does one have to travel away from Chiang Mai to escape the haze?

Well the coast is really the only option.All being well next season we plan to stay in Jomtien which has a choice of apartments with kitchen/washing machine etc and some available on month long rentals.

Islands are far too expensive. Prachuap Kirri Khan difficult to get to.

Kan Air did have a CNX to HH leg but they went belly up and no airline has picked up that route, would be an "escape" winner IMO

On 18 April 2019 at 11:07 AM, motdaeng said:

icare999 said: ... i bought 2 they are useless in some respects really good at getting ait clean quickly but only on full power and it switches to automatic autonamatically after 1-3 hours then its useless so need to put it on every time it stops on full power also very noisy. ...

one member explains ( post nr 8 ), how to avid that xiaomi goes all 3 hours back to the automatic mode ...

i thought you are looking for a way to solve this issue ...

i did not understand what he meant 

On 4/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, bkk6060 said:

Great.

All will be forgotten until February next year when the worthless waste of time complaints will go for 2 months, until 2021 comes around.

Wrong. 

January it starts, end of April still in the red hazardous zone.

Possibly 4 months CM suffers brutal air quality, says this year's readings.

3 hours ago, Happystance said:

January it starts, end of April still in the red hazardous zone.

The air quality drops below international standards for clean air very quickly after the rains stop usually around October. After that it's just a matter of discussing how bad it is all the way until around May. That's a long time; 6-8 months of bad air per year. People like to talk in relative terms "not as bad as last year", "not as bad as last month". Well I hate to tell you but that doesn't change the fact the air still is not meeting international standards for clean air and that should raise some alarm bells.

Archived