BANGKOK 20 February 2019 04:28
cmsally

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

2 hours ago, TheScribe said:

LolaS wrote: "there are 3 sensors one in CMU, one in suandok, and second in maehia."

Well that is good.  I hope you can now set up a public website that gives us all the information that they are collecting.  I'm looking forward to seeing it!

but I posted

48 minutes ago, cmsally said:

have been looking for more info on measuring stations for CMU, Suan Dokh, Mae Hia and can find nothing. It says above that they monitor close to the road, this would suggest that there is info out there giving the specific location. Would someone be so kind as to point me to that info.

but I posted those links.

There is only the link page for a site called Ubidots that seems to have nothing to do specifically with pollution measuring. Is there any cross reference to prove those measuring sites actually exist, and I still don't see any actual evidence to back up that they measure "close to the road".

10 hours ago, cmsally said:

There is only the link page for a site called Ubidots that seems to have nothing to do specifically with pollution measuring. Is there any cross reference to prove those measuring sites actually exist, and I still don't see any actual evidence to back up that they measure "close to the road".

but that is direct contact ( two links) to the creators of those sensors, you can contact and talk with them directly. That is why is called interent of things, I saw the same question asked there in the group, It was you?

you have all rights to ask these question, it is legitimate to know, but I provided both links. Am I wrong? if you cant see I can repost again

On 4.3.2018 at 9:25 AM, TheScribe said:

Unhealthy readings for Chiangmai and Lampang continue.  Nan, Phrea,  Mae Hongson,  Maesai have clean air.  

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.19.16.png

some of this readings are the "aqi" for pm10 and not for pm2.5 (e.g. maesai ...).

you can not compare pm2.5 with pm10 readings!

"AQI" and ... µm/m3 readings are not the same!! be carefully not mixing up!!
http://aqicn.org/faq/2013-09-09/revised-pm25-aqi-breakpoints/

• Like 1

On the public websites, measuring sites are at Yupparat, City Office, now there seems to be CMIS and Prem also.

A search in Thai brings up a govt website which seems consistent in mentioning Sriphum and ChangPuak. There is also one mentioned for Suthep but given a different code and marker (portable station??).

For many of the govt sites measurements are of PM10 only

Yupparaj and City Office would seem to be affiliated with Tesabahn as are mentioned on their site. If someone would like to provide approx locations of Yupparaj and Sriphum pollution meters I have no objections trying to hunt them down ! :shock1:

Today the aqmthai site is not working.  Anyway, here is a screenshot from aqicn, showing central and northern Thailand.  Chiangmai, Lampang and Lamphun are very smoggy now. Also Khon Kaen. Mae Sot very polluted.  

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.46.42.png

Edited by TheScribe

now they offer comparative representation of in situ measured results with AQI, I dont see big difference as some users claims

AQI for PM2.5 CMIS this morning is 197. Yesterday it was up in the purple which means basically you shouldn't go outside!!

40 minutes ago, cmsally said:

AQI for PM2.5 CMIS this morning is 197. Yesterday it was up in the purple which means basically you shouldn't go outside!!

calculated per HOUR not mer minute

A quick calculation on an AQI calculator would have an average AQI of 180 at 111 for concentration.

I believe this is almost 5 times the recommended WHO level for PM2.5

• Like 1

Chiang Mai should be renamed Death Valley because that is what it is. 

Please get this word out to Tripadvisor, and all those other sites that advocate retiring in CM. We're inundated now with folks who took the bait. Sadly, for all the Chinese invaders, CM is just a breath of fresh air compared to their major cities' pollution. So, their overload here will not be discouraged.

Somehow the pollution doesn't seem to bother me, at least noticeably. I'm sure there's something else that will kill me other than bad air. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the hazy countryside -- and just chalk it up to "that's just Thailand."