I am learning

briannablack

Hi just wondering if it is possible to translate “I am learning” into Thai. I’m looking to get it tattooed, so the literal meaning might not make sense as I’m hoping for a more abstract kind of meaning. Not sure if it’ll translate or not but I just figured I’d ask. 

If anyone could help that would be great!

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

It doesn't make sense to me in English, looks like an unfinished statement. What is it that you are learning?

I am with you there Maestro. I think that “I am learning” means that I am gaining in experience, nothing specific. 

I have decided that the best way to approach this sort of question is to go to an Eng-Thai dictionary and see if the expression is there, if not then I assume that it is well understood by Thais already and simple substitution will do. 

In that case the question is answered.

But for discussion.   

There is another way of seeing  “I am a learner” (beginner) ผมเริ่มหัด learning a skill. 

Beginner> (learner) ผุ้เริ่มศึกษาใหม่  

Also มือใหม่ which we see on the back of cars and people should be able to make the leap that it applies to any skill including learning.

So for a short tattoo maybe มือใหม่ would be acceptable. 

Greenhorn springs to mind and sure enough that is in my book! Perhaps not a tatto which the poster wants to carry into old age.  

ไม่ท้อใจใฝ่เรียนรู้( or ใฝ่ศึกษา) , มุ่งมั่นหมั่นเรียนรู้

If you want this message to communicate with thai, my suggested ones are more poem like which make the reader says "wow ! (Thai : Oho !)". Thais admire poem than a bland phrase or sentence. May be the longer the more pain when tattooing.

I know that I missed something in the English but your version of. “ I am learning” apart from the ‘wow’ factor, seems to describe “a learner” in the sense of overcoming all difficulties in an effort to achieve the goal of learning. “I am devoted to attaining knowledge” is the shortest I can make of it. 

We need the poster to explain what his tattoo means. 

Archived