UK wants assurances on basic rights for British prisoners in Thailand

webfact

my step son was a low life started up with borstal then next stop was prison, said it was great, he learnt various tricks of the trade, hot wiring cars for example, moved on to selling e tabs at UK raves made a bloody fortune ha ha, buy for 1 pound,  sell for 5 pounds

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, captspectre said:

if a uk citizen had a problem, where would he/she go? the embassy in BKK has been sold., while not a big fan of the uk, i have talked to a lot of uk expats and some of the stories they tell about the service provided by their embassy infuriates them!

1. Selling the building (which they have yet to vacate) has no bearing on UK's position in Thailand or their responsibilities to their own people under the appropriate convention.

2. Don't fall too easily for yarns peddled by 'a bloke in a pub' who invariably hadn't done any homework before seeking service deemed outside their remit or control.

Back on topic; The uniforms do not cater for anyone outside the Asian size range which is frankly degrading during visits or court appearances; Food is take-it-or- leave-it or buy your own ($$) whereas HMG provides Helal, veggie etc for foreign prisoners in UK AND picks up the tab re deportation inc appeals; and 5kgs of shackles made for a dwarf (see comment re sizes earlier) do wonders for back, hips etc of older prisoners who are unlikely to ever try escaping....

What about the rights of those who live on the outside? Okay, I am not suggesting that prisons should be torture and probably prisons all over the world could use some 'updating'(?) but they shouldn't be holiday camps either. Before worrying about these inmates Mr. UK (and I'm British), I'd like to see you complain about the dual standards outside the prisons. Geeze, I wonder what glasses these 'bureaucrats' are wearing? 

42 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In Canada the prisoners in the Yukon, used to get top quality food, 400 thread  count sheets, TV and computor time, you know the necessary life stuff. I sure hope that is not the International standard..

Geezer

Can't a nation go beyond the international standard?

We're talking about a prison population of max. 190.

http://www.justice.gov.yk.ca/prog/cor/wcc/correctional_building.html

The goals of the Whitehorse Correctional Centre are to:

• Provide a safe and secure environment for staff and inmates
  • Encourage inmates to take responsibility for their actions and actively earn their way back into the community
  • Minimize the detrimental effects of confinement
  • Provide inmates with access to educational, work, recreational and treatment programs that reduce their risk of recontact
  • Provide inmates with opportunities to develop and maintain healthy, supportive family and community relationships

Obviously, it's not a place for lifers or death row.

"This building is meant to be a program-focused institution, .... It's meant to be a place where staff and inmates can work together on the changes that inmates want to make in their lives."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/new-yukon-jail-to-open-in-february-1.1218451

How does Canada's 114 prison population per 100,000 national population overall compare to 221 nations?

By my review, there are 85 nations with lower prison population rates, one tied and 135 nations with higher prison population rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

And they should. They cannot expect their prisoners to be treated with decency. No effort is being made here to improve human rights, despite the constant assurances to the contrary by the Little man.

Thailand is making no steps whatsoever, to improve upon itself. On alot of levels, it feels like it is either standing still, or more than likely going backwards. Frankly, the biggest draw at the moment is being close to my wife's family, the food, the relatively pleasant people, and the weakening of the baht. But, I dislike the government, and the level of ignorance being perpetrated by the fabulously inferior educational system here does not appear to bode well for the future of the place. I also despise the practice of face, and the staggering level of cowardice that accompanies that weak, pathetic quality. 

No efforts are being made to reduce or eradicate human slavery, trafficking, the drug trade, or human rights. Nothing is being done.

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. There are many aspects of life here, that I truly enjoy. I am sure many feel the same way. Just wish the country was not moving backwards, (and was instead moving forward under the leadership of progressive minds) due to a system of meritocracy, and a complete lack of forward looking vision. A nice dream indeed.

Moving the country forward? I think not. More like "Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming pace".

1 hour ago, Jingjock said:

Yes keep em locked up with rice and a fish head, Brits number 1 hoodlum here in Thai. Its pitiful to see these louts acting like crazy fools. And by the way I was born and raised in UK

I quite agree! 

I was also born and raised in the UK.  Sometimes, I am extremely embarrassed by the stupid antics of Brits abroad.  It's not just the younger generation, neither.  Unfortunately, all Brits seem to be tarred with the same brush, here in Thailand.

The British Embassy department responsible for providing assistance to prisoners on remand in Bangkok is the poorest

compared to other countries like Australia and America .The British ' hoo ha Henrys '  based in Bangkok have their heads up their ass and couldn't give a shit about the welfare or conditions of untried UK citizens confined on remand in Thai Jails .

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And they should. They cannot expect their prisoners to be treated with decency. No effort is being made here to improve human rights, despite the constant assurances to the contrary by the Little man.

Thailand is making no steps whatsoever, to improve upon itself. On alot of levels, it feels like it is either standing still, or more than likely going backwards. Frankly, the biggest draw at the moment is being close to my wife's family, the food, the relatively pleasant people, and the weakening of the baht. But, I dislike the government, and the level of ignorance being perpetrated by the fabulously inferior educational system here does not appear to bode well for the future of the place. I also despise the practice of face, and the staggering level of cowardice that accompanies that weak, pathetic quality. 

No efforts are being made to reduce or eradicate human slavery, trafficking, the drug trade, or human rights. Nothing is being done.

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. There are many aspects of life here, that I truly enjoy. I am sure many feel the same way. Just wish the country was not moving backwards, (and was instead moving forward under the leadership of progressive minds) due to a system of meritocracy, and a complete lack of forward looking vision. A nice dream indeed.

Moving the country forward? I think not. More like "Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming pace".

Spidermike, when I read your words (above) I feel that I am reading something that I myself could have written. You speak from my heart. Every syllable that you have written is true, in my own experience. I share you sentiments 100%. The ordinary Thais are generally pleasant and amazingly helpful people - but the D .. Di .... Dinosaurship under which they are currently living is an utter and unmitigated disgrace and screams out to Heaven for justice.

1 minute ago, jippytum said:

The British Embassy department responsible for providing assistance to prisoners on remand in Bangkok is the poorest

compared to other countries like Australia and America .The British ' hoo ha Henrys '  based in Bangkok have their heads up their ass and couldn't give a shit about the welfare or conditions of untried UK citizens confined on remand in Thai Jails .

NONE are able to interfere, and in all likelihood the number of British Prisoners exceeds the other two combined.

3 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Keeping the evil-doers off the street though.

Often poor people most often minorities convicted of petty crimes. 

A number of judges have been accused, some convicted of taking bribes from corporate private prisons. 

In fact the new US attorney general has significant financial holdings in private prisons prompting his crackdown on petty drug offenders, (where many states are legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use). 

Just last night I read an article about a 16 year old girl had been abducted at the age of 14 forced into prostitution and killed a pervert client she was sentenced to life in prison. This was in some hillbilly court I believe in Tennessee. 

24 minutes ago, johnnytuc said:

Trouble is there are plenty in Thai prisons that haven't done the crime.

Very true statement, Johnnytuc. Think of the poor Burmese Two, in their shackles, for the rape and murder of the two British tourists on Koh Tao. Anyone with more than a single functioning brain cell in their heads knows that these two poor, defenceless guys are innocent ...

Would prefer better rights for british pensioners and ritirees from the British government for expats in thailand

Lots of people get <deleted> when stay in Thailand too long

get crossed off national health system 

lose state pensions 

<deleted> prisoners 

Archived