UK wants assurances on basic rights for British prisoners in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why? Do you feel British prisoners are so horribly treated or the prisons are so sub-standard?

There is always room for improvement but let us not forget it is a place of punishment.

I feel confident to suggest prisoners in Britain are treated better than those in Thai ones.

No you missed the point entirely. I think that prisoners in the UK are not treated harshly enough by a long shot, they are given TV's, playstations, good food, pool tables, they do university degrees for free, access to gym equipment etc, in fact they are treated better by the government than many UK citizens who live by the rules, work hard and pay taxes.

Thailand does not need to start pandering to every whim of the inmates who are in the prison system, and they certainly don't need the UK to tell them how to do it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The longer I stay here, the better I get at translating Thai into reality.

Kind of like the Thai version of democracy and civil rights... :ph34r:

I'd think its more the way they think its compassionate to let dogs breed uncontrolled on the street, form marauding packs, have countless untreated dangerous infections and broken limbs, who also cause untold traffic accidents creating human missery .......just change a few things above and you have a prison in thailand...

1 hour ago, Fish Head Soup said:

No you missed the point entirely. I think that prisoners in the UK are not treated harshly enough by a long shot, they are given TV's, playstations, good food, pool tables, they do university degrees for free, access to gym equipment etc, in fact they are treated better by the government than many UK citizens who live by the rules, work hard and pay taxes.

Thailand does not need to start pandering to every whim of the inmates who are in the prison system, and they certainly don't need the UK to tell them how to do it.

1. Agreed.

2. UK keeps their half of the bargain re Thai prisoners in UK. If this lot can't reciprocate to the same standard why did they ever bother signing up and how long will HMG continue footing the bill?

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Britain has asked Thailand’s Department of Corrections to ensure that prison inmates are provided with basic rights under international standards,

Exactly how do you validate this? Send a Brit into the prison for weekly interviews? Interview non British prisoners to see if the can attest to the fact that their basic rights are not being violated? Helloooo, thy're in prison...Anything goes...unfortunately.

2 hours ago, BigC said:

Would prefer better rights for british pensioners and ritirees from the British government for expats in thailand

Lots of people get <deleted> when stay in Thailand too long

get crossed off national health system 

lose state pensions 

<deleted> prisoners 

terrible I know a rich Thai that get a  a British pension lol..Work that out

Send the hordes(?) of miscreant British pensioners home, to serve their time in the UK and at the British taxpayers' expense, at least they would then get the inflation-increases on their old-age allowances, which are denied so long as they remain living legally over here !  :cool:

3 hours ago, BigC said:

Would prefer better rights for british pensioners and ritirees from the British government for expats in thailand

Lots of people get <deleted> when stay in Thailand too long

get crossed off national health system 

lose state pensions 

<deleted> prisoners 

What's stopping any of you posting in the appropriate thread...?

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why? Do you feel British prisoners are so horribly treated or the prisons are so sub-standard?

There is always room for improvement but let us not forget it is a place of punishment.

I feel confident to suggest prisoners in Britain are treated better than those in Thai ones.

Sure and that should act as a deterrent to committing crime when you are in a country with a draconian prison system.  The Brits (I am told) have a hard time in Thai prisons but by paying they can get a softer ride than some.  As with anything else in Thailand, money talks and very loudly! 

Now if he were to visit some and make note of and present to the minister, then he might be doing what hes paid for, as such, lip service is the best he can do.....So many poorly educated ignoranramases saying "suck it up criminal" you better hope that guy who did suck it up and got out in a far far more mentaly unstable way doesnt affect your family...you'd be calling a different tune than cruel inhumane crap you are now..

8 hours ago, impulse said:

They have the right to freedom of travel if they don't like the way they're treated.  The same can't be said of the prison population.

Get convicted and that's part of your punishment...or perhaps you would prefer criminals to suffer no punishment at all!

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, that is the enlightened POV but tragically not shared in prison systems in much or most of the world. 

The degree of civilisation a country shows is how it treats its prisoners, it's mentally ill and it's vulnerable. Neither Thailand nor the UK do well. Especially as so many are inside for bullshit drug offences.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, that is the enlightened POV but tragically not shared in prison systems in much or most of the world. 

Yep in third world corrupt dictatorships. The ability to reform or change is the building block of civilisation, decency and progress.  Just look at Africa, Arabia and Asia to see how prison is used as class war. The USA has lost its way and the UK but for different reasons.  

As a UK citizen I want to say stop sticking your nose in UK Government. Thailand has got it right! They punish criminals not put them up in fancy cells with tvs and pool tables. This is the same UK Government that allowed a UK citizen(Nigerian parents) who took heroin to Laos to leave Laos and serve her sentence in the UK after 6 months!! (she was black and UK is rife with political correctness) Shame on you!

13 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Of course we could follow the US penal system which has the highest prison population per capita in the world ....it doesnt appear to be a deterrent

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

... and quite a large percentage of those are doing time for ‘victim-less’ crime. 

Dont you just ❤️ that thing called legislative law.  

Do the crime, do the time blablabla.....Not so simple!

It is important to make sure the criminal is guilty before sending them to a prison. This is often not the case here. The term "beyond a reasonable doubt" apparently is in the law books but may not be followed always.

If you have no one to send you money, proper food may be a problem. Try and have a nights sleep with 100 or more sharing your cell. (about the size of your living room maybe). Head to toe with the person beside you. If you wish to turn, then everyone has to roll over. A little tight. The nights are long. Lose your clothing or have it stolen with no money, you will walk around naked. Get the crap beat out of you once a week for what? Being a farang maybe. Does this happen here. I can't say for sure but I know for sure not everyone should be there and for those that should, they are entitled to their human rights.

15 hours ago, captspectre said:

didn't the uk just sell their embassy? the thai's should tell them to P--s up a rope! keep their hoodlums home and they will not get a daily ration of rice and fish heads!

Not many prisoners die of preventable diseases in UK prisons and I don't think they are suffering from malnutrition etc 

As far as I am concerned, they gave up heir rights when they did the crime, knew a guy that go incarcerated in Bangkok Hilton, seven years, he was visited by a UK Consulate officer six times, less than once a year - the US Embassy visits its citizens in jail every month........do the crime, do the time...........strange thing, they did not deport him, his wife got him a Visa and a obeyer extension, he is a strict buddhist now. Thais are compassionate that way.

I post this without reading a single reply on the post.  My opinion, my facts.

3 hours ago, 300sd said:

Do the crime, do the time blablabla.....Not so simple!

It is important to make sure the criminal is guilty before sending them to a prison. This is often not the case here. The term "beyond a reasonable doubt" apparently is in the law books but may not be followed always.

If you have no one to send you money, proper food may be a problem. Try and have a nights sleep with 100 or more sharing your cell. (about the size of your living room maybe). Head to toe with the person beside you. If you wish to turn, then everyone has to roll over. A little tight. The nights are long. Lose your clothing or have it stolen with no money, you will walk around naked. Get the crap beat out of you once a week for what? Being a farang maybe. Does this happen here. I can't say for sure but I know for sure not everyone should be there and for those that should, they are entitled to their human rights.

not blah blah blah, just facts, I would guess 99.5% of the incarcerated are guilty as charged, for the 05% that aren't, they were on the fringe or in the wrong place at the wrong time.   It's jail

20 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Most people associated with the justice system see prisons as a form of corrections rather than punishments btw.

I also believe that to be an effective deterrent, they need to be somewhat unpleasant. I also believe that taking habitual criminals out of society is beneficial. Those that cannot live by the rules and norms do not deserve the benefits.

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Not many prisoners die of preventable diseases in UK prisons and I don't think they are suffering from malnutrition etc 

And UK prisoners are not tied up in chains and shackles, last time I checked - unlike in Thailand (remember the poor Burmese Two from Koh Tao - who, to make matters worse, are obviously not even guilty!).

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think he means the Brits are totally clueless about prison management, after all, it is a bit of a joke being incarcerated over there. I'd say the Thais could teach the Brits a thing or two about how to incarcerate and rehabilitate.

Archived