Champions League 2017-2018 season

JemJem

I have looked all the way back to September threads and I was surprised to see that there was no CL thread. But anyway, there is one now :)

Here are my predictions as to which teams will make it to the quarters. I guess I should have done this before yesterday's matches, but my Spurs and City choices wouldn't have changed anyway. Really :)

Juve-Spurs.....Spurs
Basel-City......City
Real M-PSG......Real M
Porto-Liverpool......Liverpool
Bayern-Besiktas.....Bayern
Chelsea-Barca.....Chelsea
Sevilla-United.....United
Shahktar-Roma......Roma

So, I am predicting that 5 English teams will make it to the quarters.

And, my Chelsea and Real M choices are sort of surprises. Let's see what happens :)

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Juve-Spurs.....Juve
Basel-City......City
Real M-PSG......Real M
Porto-Liverpool......Liverpool
Bayern-Besiktas.....Bayern
Chelsea-Barca.....Barca
Sevilla-United.....United
Shahktar-Roma......Roma

I'll remember this one next month you rascal.

^My thinking on the Juve vs Spurs game is while Spurs have the advantage, Juve are incredibly savy in these situations of defend for 90mins and wait to pinch a goal as we learnt in 2015 (juve's defending at the Etihad was one of the best I've ever seen).

I think Barca have enough to beat Chelsea over 2 legs.

• 1 month later...

So after only the first legs complete, bar a shock its looking very like Bayern, Liverpool, RM and Barca.  I'm still sticking with with my original bet, Bayern,  but it really is looking incredibly open.

1 minute ago, carmine said:

So after only the first legs complete, bar a shock its looking very like Bayern, Liverpool, RM and Barca.  I'm still sticking with with my original bet, Bayern,  but it really is looking incredibly open.

Strange as it might be to say, Barca probably the weak link there. They haven't been hitting on all cylinders lately, and they can't expect Messi to continue to save them late in games...or can they ?

I'd hate to see Madrid or Bayern win it.

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Strange as it might be to say, Barca probably the weak link there. They haven't been hitting on all cylinders lately, and they can't expect Messi to continue to save them late in games...or can they ?

I'd hate to see Madrid or Bayern win it.

Look, i am jumping the gun a bit here, things could well go different,  but this looks realistic, from a neutrals point of view.  Bayern, under Jupp Heynckes just look solid as a rock.  Since he's returned to caretake, their record is astonishing.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Look, i am jumping the gun a bit here but this looks realistic.  Bayern, under Jupp Heynckes just look solid as a rock.  Since he's returned to caretake, their record is astonishing.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Plus, compared to some other clubs they get to fly a bit under the radar in Germany.

That said, I'd like to see Liverpool or Barca put them to the sword.

1 minute ago, jellydog said:

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Plus, compared to some other clubs they get to fly a bit under the radar in Germany.

Exactly.  You might see i did a bit of rewording on that post, and i'm not expecting any Liverpool fans tempting fate and posting on this!!!

Messi, Ronaldo will continue to take the plaudits and the Germans quietly get the job done.....

On 4/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, carmine said:

Look, i am jumping the gun a bit here, things could well go different,  but this looks realistic, from a neutrals point of view.  Bayern, under Jupp Heynckes just look solid as a rock.  Since he's returned to caretake, their record is astonishing.

Their league is like shooting fish in a barrell. Bayern are a very good side but are not battle hardened the way Liverpool are. 

BTW, if you compare Heynkes recent record as Bayern manager to Pep's, Heynkes comes out well on top.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Their league is like shooting fish in a barrell. Bayern are a very good side but are not battle hardened the way Liverpool are. 

BTW, if you compare Heynkes recent record as Bayern manager to Pep's, Heynkes comes out well on top.

Yes he does.  He also achieved the treble.  Terrific manager but 72yo and will be off at the end of the season.Agree on that but don't understand what you would mean by saying Bayern are not battle hardened like Liverpool!!  They seem to have done very well and would have been in the final last time if they hadn't been mugged off by a dodgy ref in the semi against Real Madrid.

Funny, Juve got mugged off too against Real Madrid.  I don't think that was a penalty and what a call to make in injury time!!!

we've beaten both madrid and roma in european cup finals before. be nice to beat bayern in one just for a change of scene really. another notch on the bedpost and that. 

funny that them three are all thinking hope we don't get liverpool. bring on your mighty internazionale. . .

58 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was sarcastically referencing that the luck seems with you. Klopp might even win Wimbledon if he enters.

Luck? Oh those decisions that went against you that you and Jangles  have been moaning about for 3 days. 5-1. 

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^Still feel that footballing God's are on your side and you could go all the way. Klopp to win the Eurovision.

There you go, Roma. Put your money also on Klopp to win University Challenge, the Horse of Year Show and Cruffs. I'm telling you the lucks in. Remember this post you scousers. 

Edit: correction, plastic scousers:sorry:

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

There you go, Roma. Put your money also on Klopp to win University Challenge, the Horse of Year Show and Cruffs. I'm telling you the lucks in. Remember this post you scousers. 

Edit: correction, plastic scousers:sorry:

laughing my tits off, you guys were so humble, so respectful, "liccle ol City" until you got <deleted> royals by a proper football team, 3 times....now you are going after where we come from, pathetic...piss funny LIKE

Actually the mocking where you come from isn't really related to getting beat by liverpool. The timing of StevieH revelation that he isn't a scouser when I think he's been trying to allude to being one and the defeat to Liverpool is purely a coincidence. I just find it amusing that we don't have any red scousers.

It seems that brummie R2D2 is a much a scouser as the rest of you.:post-4641-1156694572:

Where's wilai from then?

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Actually the mocking where you come from isn't really related to getting beat by liverpool. The timing of StevieH revelation that he isn't a scouser when I think he's been trying to allude to being one and the defeat to Liverpool is purely a coincidence. I just find it amusing that we don't have any red scousers.

It seems that brummie R2D2 is a much a scouser as the rest of you.:post-4641-1156694572:

Where's wilai from then?

i've never alluded to anything. always been entirely open about not being from liverpool.

Archived