Tourist Visa extension in Chiang Rai

Soon I will be going to the Chiang Rai Immigration office near the airport to get a visa extension for my American Tourist visa. Can someone confirm exactly what I need to bring? Is it still 1,900 baht in cash and 1 photo? Do I have to bring information about where I am staying? Please let me know what I need before I go? Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

On the site of the immigration bureau there is not data about proof of address. Is it outdated information?

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

Those are only general requirements. Each office may have a different requirement.

The proof of address may not be needed at many offices. Some just want to see a local address on the form.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

On the site of the immigration bureau there is not data about proof of address. Is it outdated information?

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

If they ask for proof of address and you don't have it, then it's a revisit.

If you take proof of address and they don't ask for it, you've lost nothing.

Going prepared is key to being successful in the minimum of time. 

3 hours ago, polyknikes said:

How do I get a proof of address? What do I show them? 

TM30 on file which your accommodation provider should have lodged with immigration within 24 hours of you checking in - with a note that longer term stay places often ask the farang to lodge the paperwork instead. 

• 11 months later...

Went to Chiang Rai office yesterday for 30 extension to tourist visa.

Was told that I must be wearing a collared shirt in photo (polo shirt acceptable). Never heard anything quite so ridiculous before.

Jobsworth did say that on this occasion they would accept my photo (wearing a T-shirt) but not in the future.

Also, they were very particular about proof of residence.

If you're staying with a friend they want:

Document TM30

P/copy of house owner ID

P/copy of house book of landlord

P/copy of house book of house where you stay (if different address to landlord)

P/copy of house contract

Phone number of house owner

Plus p/copies of usual ID documents

If you're staying in a guesthouse, you must already be checked in and ensure that they have registered your stay with immigration. I was going to guesthouse after sorting out extension so was told to go away, check in and come back later.

Sacked 'em off and jumped on a bus to Mae Sai instead where I saved 1000THB (did a 500THB Burma crossing instead) and got a hassle free extension and some cheap cigarettes while I was there.

As a cycle tourer, constantly on the move and not necessarily knowing where I'll be staying one day to the next, this was the most frustrating application attempt I've made within Thailand.

Different offices definitely operate according to differing rules (no problems in Bangkok or Kanchanaburi - I've been in and out of Thailand, pottering around SEA over the past 12 months), and Chiang Rai office proved a right pain in the rear end, for me, yesterday.

The 'new' rule on photos requiring a collared shirt dress code left me quite speechless, until now ???? Hopefully, the idiocy of such a requirement will slowly dawn on the CRai officialdom in the near future and this comment will become redundant.

Edited by josher
typing error ('7' instead of '/')

3 hours ago, josher said:

Went to Chiang Rai office yesterday

I get feedback from a friend up there about how they love their papers. One example is they own their property in a shell company name and are required to submit copies of all the company papers to get retirement Ext. In Jomtiem I have the same situation and they are happy enough with my phone bill. 

The inconsistency, and complete and utter distrust and interference into ones privacy is beyond their remit.

Edited by jacko45k