FIVE Months Smoke-Free, WHOOHOO!

Samui Bodoh

Hi All

As of today I am now five months without a single cigarette. Yes, I am the coolest Frood in the universe.

Okay, eagle-eyed members will note the I started the topic "four months smoke free" a month ago and might be wondering why I am back again. Honestly, based on the numbers of TV users, there has to be a couple of smokers out there who are thinking of quitting and might need a small kick in the ass to do it.

Kick Kick!

My story, which I will recount here (anonymously), is that I was a smoker for 35 years or so, I smoked two packs a day, and on which I spent thousands and thousands and thousands of Baht with absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing at all. Zip. Nada. Nil. Zero. I still find it all hard to believe, but as I typed this... well, I have to admit it (anonymously!).

I have used the 'cold turkey' method, but I would recommend using whatever works for you.

How do I feel now? I still have an occasional craving (once a week?) but nothing too bad. I cycle 20 KM every morning (have for years, not new) and that feels great! My breath is up, my endurance is up and my speed is up. Smokers will know what I am talking about when I say that I used to get the 'chest burn' or'lung burn' when I was out of breath before; now it is gone as well. My clothes don't stink. I have NOT spent approximately 26,500 Baht for no reason.

Yes, I am both happy and proud.

How are the other stoppers doing? In my last thread a month ago, several of you mentioned that you were doing it too; how goes the battle?

There are some people reading this who are thinking of quitting (so say the stats...). I would say to you, "Do it. It is tricky, it is hard, it will test you, but it is well, well worth it."

Good Luck and Happy Chinese New Year!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play bodoh. Recently on a flight which had a 2 hour connect in Oman I first thought about quitting. The smoke room in that airport is grim.

I smoked about 12-14 a day but recently started smoking just 6 a day.

I do enjoy it I admit but I want to quit so I am just going through my process and hopefully I'll rid this habit soon.

10 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Fair play bodoh. Recently on a flight which had a 2 hour connect in Oman I first thought about quitting. The smoke room in that airport is grim.

I smoked about 12-14 a day but recently started smoking just 6 a day.

I do enjoy it I admit but I want to quit so I am just going through my process and hopefully I'll rid this habit soon.

You just made my day!

Good luck!

Congratulations, you must feel like a million bucks and you deserve it! 

I have been about 9 years free now, although I only smoked for about 10 before quitting. I did it with Chantix. I know not everyone responds well to it, but if you struggle to go cold turkey, give it a try. It literally turned off the desire for me like a light switch. To this day, I am both terribly grateful to Chantix for the help, amd at the same time terrified at how easily it seemed to alter what I considered a very strong impulse in my brain. Better living through chemistry, I guess. 

Congrats again, and good luck to all those still fighting the good fight!!!!

To SB

Thanks for your “kickin’ “ post.

Actually today is my birthday and I’m having a butt with my coffee to kick off my day. You are 100% right that there is no logical return on this investment.

My new Bon Cafe Saeco machine Just cost me 30k and you just inspired me to butt- out today with the additional benefit that quitting will shortly pay off my new machine.

5 left in my pack and that’s it. Hope I don’t get too grumpy. Lol.

Anyone else ready to quit?

Maybe We could do a support thread by pm?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am happy to kick people!  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Good luck and we both can be back at the middle of next month to check in.

Cheers

Good idea.  

Let's push each other along.  I know I need it, so others probably do as well.

2 minutes ago, grobec said:

To SB
Thanks for your “kickin’ “ post.
Actually today is my birthday and I’m having a but with my coffee to kick off my day. You are 100% right that there is no logical return on this investment.
My new Bon Cafe Saeco machine
Just cost me 30k and you just inspired me to butt- out today whit the additional benefit that quitting will shortly pay off my machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hi grobec

Happy Birthday!

You mentioned a 30K coffee machine. One of the best things that I did was put a jar on my work desk at home and each day put in what I would have spent on smokes. The first day didn't matter, but after 4-5 days it really helped; the visual realization of the money triggered my "inner cheapness" in a big way.

Good luck!

Fantastic....I am delighted for you...seriously.

I gave up drinking and smoking (or should I say "they gave me up") about 16 years ago. How did I do it....one day at a time.....not for  forever....just for one day.

Anybody can give up something.... for just one day.....and so on and so on.

Well done i managed to quit after 20 years of smoking now its been about 10 years and if i am honest i still get the odd craving (but always resist )after a few beers if a friend lights up  I cannot believe i used to smoke so many .

Working shifts in the u.k and being allowed a smoke break every hour didnt help.

Keep it going i did think you moved away from Chiang mai 5 months ago when the heading said "Smoke Free".

Was havy smoker, stoped for 6 years...and start again last year...?

plan to stop again with help from Champix, and I will succeed , because ..no cold turkey 

succes for you, and keep on going, and indeed everything is going better without.

4 minutes ago, mentalcolonization said:

20 years and still going. damn

Hmm...

It is not clear to me if that is 20 years smoking or 20 years of stopping...

If it is 20 years of smoking, then time to stop. I can't tell you how, but you already know that you need to do it.

If it is 20 years of quitting, then well done. 

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

It is not clear to me if that is 20 years smoking or 20 years of stopping...

If it is 20 years of smoking, then time to stop. I can't tell you how, but you already know that you need to do it.

If it is 20 years of quitting, then well done. 

20years of smoking . it's the most difficult decision to stop that i will make . Just when i think of stopping ,i find too stressed and all i need is the cigarette . 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:20 AM, Anak Nakal said:

Good luck!

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Fantastic....I am delighted for you...seriously.

I gave up drinking and smoking (or should I say "they gave me up") about 16 years ago. How did I do it....one day at a time.....not for  forever....just for one day.

Anybody can give up something.... for just one day.....and so on and so on.

No small feat Congratulations. I am now smoke-free for over 15 years. You still have cravings but over time they will dimish as will the thoughts of smoking as well  It will get to a point that when you smell smoke you will be revolted. It will take time but it will happen

Simple way to control it Don't pick up

2 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

20years of smoking . it's the most difficult decision to stop that i will make . Just when i think of stopping ,i find too stressed and all i need is the cigarette . 

Hi Mentalcolonization

Sorry for the slow response- the power went out.

I fully agree that the most difficult part is to actually make the decision to quit smoking. That said, you seem to have made it, so the next step is to figure out how to implement it.

I will freely admit here that I was a smoker for 35 years and that I smoked about 2 packs a day. However, in the real world, I will NEVER admit that! I say that I have been a smoker "for a while..." and smoke(d) 'a pack a day...". Honestly, it was/is too embarrassing to admit to anyone, myself included. I like posting here because I can hide behind the anonymity and it'll be many years before I am completely honest in real life!

I ain't an expert on how to do shit like this, but I do know it is easier if you have someone to help. May I suggest that you tell your wife/husband/best friend? I think you'll be surprised at how much support you'll receive.

And may I also suggest that you post here? You get the anonymity and I have been stunned by the kindness shown to my 2 postings (this one and the "four months smoke free" one). 50+ people have taken to the time to offer encouragement and support, and I am deeply grateful to everyone; thanks a million to all of you.

Mentalcolonization- there is help available. Your spouse, your family, your friends, doctors, TVF, your children, etc etc.etc.

Your call, dude.

I quit 40 years ago.  Don't think for a minute that the nicotine in tobacco isn't a highly addictive substance.  It is.  40 years and to this day I will occasionally have an 'urge' because that is the nature of addiction.  But the urge has no power; you acknowledge it like a old friend who is driving in a car the opposite direction that your driving and waves at you, but you don't stop the car and have a chat.  You keep driving.

4 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

Hi Again Mentalcolonization.

Have a look at a post from a previous thread (below). Look at page 5, post #63 from a user named Madgee. I don't know anything about Madgee, how he is doing, or anything else.

I just though he wrote a very good post and that it might be relevant to you.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, snairc said:

Congratulations on quitting.  I have been smoking for the past 35 years and I would love to quit now. Thanks for the heads up.

Hope I am able to quit soon. 

I didn't understand the cold turkey method ?

Warm regards

Cold turkey is just quitting without any aids, patches, fake cigarettes or the like.

The hardest way to stop. Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance as well as being highly toxic and poisonous.

Archived