FIVE Months Smoke-Free, WHOOHOO!

Samui Bodoh

The OP is now out of nicotine addiction, and is starting to taste food properly again. If he has regular cardiovascular exercise, his lung capacity will increase to normal in the next 1-2 years. His risk of lung cancer will decline to that of a non-smoker over the next ten years. Good work, keep it up.

Which reminds me, he'll probably enjoy sex more as well.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other dubious benefit is that he will gain a significant amount of weight over the coming year....unless he watches his food intake and does some exercise.

Cant say that I ever noticed that sex was better. Just did'nt get puffed out...lol.

Hmm...

I wrote the OP a week or so ago and didn't expect a day of non-smoking discussion... but glad to see it!

@snairc. I think it is great that you want to quit; all you have to do is make the decision and then stick to it. Yes, I know, it is easier said than done, but that is what it boils down to. "Cold Turkey" just means quitting without any assistance; it has worked for me so far, but whatever method seems best for you is the best. The goal is to quit; the 'how' is not really relevant.

@whitson. Thanks, much appreciated! However, I have to argue a little... 'cold turkey' isn't the hardest way to quit for meI think it is/was the only way possible in my individual circumstance. I would say 'whatever works!' as the goal is to quit, the method is irrelevant.

@lacessit. Spot on re: food. Thai food is <deleted> delicious!!! I never knew... I am not sure if I enjoy sex more now than before, but I will endeavor to do all the research that I can :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

@whitson again. Yes, I have gained about 5 kilos, even though I exercise a great deal (20 KM cycling every morning, long swim in afternoon). That said, I am not still gaining weight (I leveled off) and to me quitting smoking is far, far more important that 5 kilos.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.  Suspensions have been issued to members offending this forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

4 hours ago, snairc said:

Congratulations on quitting.  I have been smoking for the past 35 years and I would love to quit now. Thanks for the heads up.

Hope I am able to quit soon. 

I didn't understand the cold turkey method ?

Warm regards

Hi snairc

I did say hello in my post above, but I don't think it is enough. People here on TVF have been very kind and supportive to me and I think it behooves me to return the favour. And since your story seems to be very similar to mine...

If you have been smoking for 35 years or so (same here), then I suspect we have similar stories. Did you start in your teens? I started at around age 15 or so. Did most of your friends smoke at that time? Me too. However, over the years most quit at one time or another, usually when I hadn't seen them for a while (no connection!). We had that slightly awkward greeting of old friends; we would chat for a while and catch up, then I would pull out my smokes, and light up. Then, I got the look. Yes, it was always polite and all, but it was the look of 'what is wrong with you?' and then they would tell me that they quit a while ago. That sucked. I am a fortunate guy in that I still have a group of friends that go all the way back to kindergarten and/or primary school; I am an unfortunate guy in that out of that group, I am (hopefully was) the only one still smoking.

I will swear on a stack of bibles that I tried to quit many times over the years, but I didn't really (this is the reason that I LOVE the anonymity of TVF). I did stop on occasion(s) for a few days here and there, but never really seriously. I quit for a month a few years back, but didn't take it seriously enough. In short, despite paying lip-service to the idea, I never really tried to quit.

Does this sound like your story?

The big decision for me came as I was cycling. I cycle every morning for 20 KM, and ironically I started because I thought that I needed some cardio due to smoking. I got back home and I was panting like a dog in a heatwave. And it hurt; it was that awful 'lung burn' or 'chest burn' (you know exactly what I mean!). And it sucked. I was gasping for breath, trying to suck as much oxygen into my lungs as I could, but the amount I was inhaling was tiny. I didn't have a medical problem or feel a need to go to the hospital, but I knew that I simply was not taking enough air in, and I knew why.

The more that I thought about that morning, the more I realized that I needed to stop smoking. At our age, if we don't stop now, we never will and given a choice between being a smoker for the rest of my life or a non-smoker, I choose non-smoker.

I needed a hook. Around five months ago, the government here announced that they were going to raise the price/tax of smokes significantly. That was it! I knew that the price was going to go up on a Monday, so I only bought smokes until that Sunday evening, and when I went to bed that night, I broke all the smokes and washed then hid the ashtrays.

I don't really know what to say about my first week; it was not fun. I did use the 'money jar' to help; I recommend that if you have an 'inner cheapness' like I do. The thing is that you have to decide to do it, then just do it. Yes, easy to say and difficult to do, but there it is;

do you want to die a smoker or a non-smoker?

Ironically, after a month or so, I asked at the 7-11 how much my brand of smokes was (I wanted to feel smug) and they told me it hadn't changed. Bloody hell!

Okay, that is my story, snairc.

I recommend that you take the decision and quit. If I can do it, you can do it. 

Your call, dude.

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I needed a hook. Around five months ago, the government here announced that they were going to raise the price of smokes significantly. That was it! I knew that the price was going to go up on a Monday, so I only bought smokes until that Sunday evening, and when I went to bed that night, I broke all the smokes and washed then hid the ashtrays.

My cold turkey method ( over 30 years ago ) was going hunting in the backblocks of NSW, Australia with one pack of cigarettes. The nearest shop was about 150 km away. Too ####ing ridiculous I should drive that distance for an addiction.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My cold turkey method ( over 30 years ago ) was going hunting in the backblocks of NSW, Australia with one pack of cigarettes. The nearest shop was about 150 km away. Too ####ing ridiculous I should drive that distance for an addiction.

At one time or another, I would have driven.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi Again Mentalcolonization.

Have a look at a post from a previous thread (below). Look at page 5, post #63 from a user named Madgee. I don't know anything about Madgee, how he is doing, or anything else.

I just though he wrote a very good post and that it might be relevant to you.

Cheers

Thanks . Maybe it's time for me to join the race . I will put more effort 

It has been eight years for me now. All it took was a helicopter ride to a heart hospital.
I messed about with cigars for about a month, but soon figured that was not helping much.

Decision finally made it was not really too hard. I remember my grandmother and father struggling for years. That memory may have helped, along with chewing a ton of gum. :smile:
If I had quit sooner maybe I would have avoided the subsequent MI that resulted in a triple bypass in addition to the stent placed the first time.
In any event, good luck to all engaged in quitting now!

About 15 years smoke free for me !!
I particularly liked the OP’s money jar which is a constant reminder of how much money you are saving.

Another incentive is: think of something you want to buy ( for example, someone mentioned a 30k coffee machine ) work out how many days smoke free you will have saved the money and stick a big reminder on a wall calendar.
Then when you feel the urge take a look at the calendar:
20 days more to buy that new putter.
or
2 months till I buy that garden recliner
Etc etc

Give yourself something to aim for.
Treat yourself for your strong willpower .

Good luck guys, keep strong !!

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Lol

Not a golfer myself but thought it might register with some as a good incentive .

p.s. had to google “ yips” emoji2.png

Been playing golf for 60 years now. Greatest game ever. Only sport I know where performance-enhancing drugs are useless.

It's a habit of golfers suffering the yips to buy a new putter every month or so. Doesn't work, but hope springs eternal.:smile:

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Been playing golf for 60 years now. Greatest game ever. Only sport I know where performance-enhancing drugs are useless.

It's a habit of golfers suffering the yips to buy a new putter every month or so. Doesn't work, but hope springs eternal.:smile:

Hmm...

Whenever I have played golf, a long, cool G&T was required at the nineteenth hole!

To stay on topic, I am determined to quit the foul weed, but the one thing that might thwart me is chasing a little white ball across a green. Stay away from golf courses; they are a public health menace!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

On 2/23/2018 at 7:01 PM, Lacessit said:

On 2/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

At one time or another, I would have driven.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I would have driven and cussed myself both ways while puffing away, but, not for smoking, for not bringing more in the 1st place.

I started smoking at 11 and still smoke today at 58. For me it seems not so much a habit as a void filler. When I'm busy and doing something that interests me in an environment that smoking is not allowed I never think about it. As soon as that stops, I'm off for a smoke.

I started because it was cool (James Dean, The Marlboro Man, etc.) but now I just don't know what else to do to fill those voids. I play computer games but even those have lulls in the action or become redundant and I lose interest.

Having some e cigarettes sent over from the states so will give those a shot as they'll at least fill the mechanics part of the voids.

Congrats on quitting by the way. :wai:

On 23/02/2018 at 2:34 PM, Whitson said:

Other dubious benefit is that he will gain a significant amount of weight over the coming year....unless he watches his food intake and does some exercise.

Cant say that I ever noticed that sex was better. Just did'nt get puffed out...lol.

I've been stopped for four and half months and the weight gain is now becoming a concern.

15kg already,when will it stop?

Doing and eating pretty much same routine as before quitting. 

45 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I would have driven and cussed myself both ways while puffing away, but, not for smoking, for not bringing more in the 1st place.

I started smoking at 11 and still smoke today at 58. For me it seems not so much a habit as a void filler. When I'm busy and doing something that interests me in an environment that smoking is not allowed I never think about it. As soon as that stops, I'm off for a smoke.

I started because it was cool (James Dean, The Marlboro Man, etc.) but now I just don't know what else to do to fill those voids. I play computer games but even those have lulls in the action or become redundant and I lose interest.

Having some e cigarettes sent over from the states so will give those a shot as they'll at least fill the mechanics part of the voids.

Congrats on quitting by the way. :wai:

You have hit on one of the harder areas for me as well; void filling. Actually, I refer to it as a "transition". If I am working at my computer, I would have a smoke as I prepared to do something else. After meals, have a smoke then move on to something else. After sex, then move on. Watch a movie, then have a smoke before doing something else.

I also never really had a problem in areas where I could not smoke; airplane rides (in my case 15+ hours) never really bothered me. Hmm... while it didn't bother me, I have to say that after I landed I went straight to the smoking room, but that is different.While I was on the plane itself...

I suspect that you already know this, but Thailand has some weird and VERY bad laws regarding e-cigs. Be VERY careful and perhaps having them sent over is NOT a good idea; check the laws!

Thanks for the congrats, it is much appreciated.

I am not going to preach, but why not join me in quitting? There are several of us at the moment...

Cheers

32 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I've been stopped for four and half months and the weight gain is now becoming a concern.

15kg already,when will it stop?

Doing and eating pretty much same routine as before quitting. 

Hey farmerjo

First, congratulations! I know precisely what you are going through, and can say with certainty that we are both truly special people :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:... 

The weight gain. I read somewhere that one effect of smoking is that it speeds your metabolism very slightly, and thus when you stop you gain weight (same food + slower metabolism). I do not know if that is true or not, just something floating in my brain. Anyone know for sure?

I am up 8-10 kilos, and I exercise a great deal; 20 KM cycling in the morning, a very long swim in the afternoon. I think if I didn't exercise, I'd be somewhere 15-20 Kilos up. That said, a few extra Kilos (which I will lose!!!) is better than smoking. If the non-smoking seems to be under control a bit, then turn to diet.

The simple, obvious answer is that you can't go on as you did before; you have to eat less.

Wasn't life more fun, or at least easier, before? Wahddyagonnado?

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Exactly one year ago today and no cigarettes, but like you other guys my weight has sky rocketed, up from 90 kgs to 106 kgs, gonna have to do a bit more exercise but the old knees (one metal) are playing up a bit :smile:

Hey Golden triangle

Wow! Congratulations!

That is a serious and wonderful achievement and you should be deeply proud.

Any advice for the rest of us?

I tip my hat, Sir!

6 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Golden triangle

Wow! Congratulations!

That is a serious and wonderful achievement and you should be deeply proud.

Any advice for the rest of us?

I tip my hat, Sir!

Thank you, very kind of you to say so, I can't really give any advice, I used patches, I totally ignored the the "how to use" regimen on the back of the pack as I just consider it a ploy by the manufactures to get you to use each strength of patch for a longer period of time than is necessary, ie: at least a month on each one, so I had the top strength for 2 weeks, the next one down for only a week and the weakest one for a week, I had some Nicotine gum on standby but actually only used one little bit, I threw the rest away after a few weeks of not using it.

When I go to my local bar I smoke vicariously via my smoking friends :smile: TBH it doesn't really bother me, I am inherently a lazy git hence the weight gain, and I was gonna go for a walk today but I was busy earlier so I'm having a beer instead :clap2:

Stick with guys, it is worth it just for your health, although ciggies over here are so cheap you may not notice that much of a difference to your bank balance as much as if you were in the UK or Aus or EU.

Keep reporting your progress please (all of you) I want to see you all reach the same milestone :thumbsup: 

Great thread.

Coming up for a year next week myself.

I have put on weight which I am hoping to shift as soon.

Congratulations to all of you who have managed to quit, there is nothing quite like that feeling of freedom. I am no longer being controlled, I had no say in when I smoked the 30 a day I used to...the nicotine ran my life...not any more

I'M FREE !!!

An offensive post denigrating smokers has been removed. As this thread is about member's doing their best to stop smoking, I think supportive comments are appreciated while denigrating comments are not welcome.  I think people who are doing their best to try to stop smoking are making a good choice, I quit smoking in 1981. 

An offensive post denigrating smokers has been removed. As this thread is about member's doing their best to stop smoking, I think supportive comments are appreciated while denigrating comments are not welcome.  I think people who are doing their best to try to stop smoking are making a good choice, I quit smoking in 1981. 

Kudos to the mod for keeping this thread free of the denigrating remarks typical of TVF. This thread celebrates the successes of people who have struggled with nicotine addiction, and will provide support and incentive for others who are still struggling.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes ,its not easy, ive given up and dont miss them . Only time i get irritated is by arm waftin numpties n those who bang on about givin up.. To me they haven’t.You have won if you shut up .!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've treated myself a hot tub with the money i will save after 12 months.

It's a much better feeling and fun for all the family.

Also hope it will help me to start losing some weight,go for a walk then relax.

20180304_104151.jpg

I've treated myself a hot tub with the money i will save after 12 months.
It's a much better feeling and fun for all the family.
Also hope it will help me to start losing some weight,go for a walk then relax.

20180304_104151.thumb.jpg.05ac5cbdb8cfab991038f77a5fc6e06a.jpg

At first glance I thought this was just a huge choco pie !
IMG_5047.JPG

Seriously though, congratulations on your 1 year and your hot tub .

I think many need a little incentive to stop smoking and this is a prime example of how you can save money for that “ treat “ and improve your health at the same time .

Well done !!

On 2/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, Rc2702 said:

Fair play bodoh. Recently on a flight which had a 2 hour connect in Oman I first thought about quitting. The smoke room in that airport is grim.

I smoked about 12-14 a day but recently started smoking just 6 a day.

I do enjoy it I admit but I want to quit so I am just going through my process and hopefully I'll rid this habit soon.

I tried the reduction strategy. I haven't heard of anyone who was able to give it up entirely that way. Nicotine is highly addictive, it's a bit like asking a heroin addict to have a hit once every two days.

Sorry, but IMHO cold turkey is the only way.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

The weight gain. I read somewhere that one effect of smoking is that it speeds your metabolism very slightly, and thus when you stop you gain weight (same food + slower metabolism). I do not know if that is true or not, just something floating in my brain. Anyone know for sure?

I am up 8-10 kilos, and I exercise a great deal; 20 KM cycling in the morning, a very long swim in the afternoon. I think if I didn't exercise, I'd be somewhere 15-20 Kilos up. That said, a few extra Kilos (which I will lose!!!) is better than smoking. If the non-smoking seems to be under control a bit, then turn to diet.

The simple, obvious answer is that you can't go on as you did before; you have to eat less.

You are eating more because you can taste food again, and like many addictive compounds nicotine is an appetite suppressant. Ever seen a fat heroin or crack addict?

You don't necessarily have to eat less, just less of the wrong foods ( sugars and fats ). Eat nothing but celery, and I can guarantee you'll lose weight. Celery has zero calories.

You also have to watch out for complex carbohydrates. Carrot and onion raw haven't got much sugar value. Cook them too long, and they release all their sugar content.

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, KonKorat said:

I am hitting 2 months now,doing it cold turkey after 38 years of smoking.i am enjoying my food much more and my chest is more clearer in the mornings,my wallet has more money in it and less trips to the atm!

Update just over 7 months smoke free.i put on s shit load of wait and I have high blood pressure for the first time and now suffer insomnia,today I have started training,changed my diet.i started a lung detox 3 days ago.i will give update in 2 months.

Archived