stop feeding street dogs

opalred

I cant believe municipalities having a competition to minimalise garbage is so hard to believe. The Prime Minister and Anupong (Interior MInister) even attended the awards ceremony. The conferences leading up to the competition obviously looked at criteria, and ideas of how things would be achieved. Criteria focused on reduced weight (monthly tonnage), and innovative ideas with the push for limiting municipality bins. 

For example, in the municipality where my work is there are obviously many villages. The municipality chose one village to remove all bins from government buildings and public bins from streets. The direction they want to head in is to have a set time each village meets to dispose of their rubbish in the truck (Taiwan I think do a similar system, however, I am sure we are all aware of Thai discipline). 

Another municipality put in recycle bins (inside the property) made out of pvc piping and netting for households. 

A close friend of ours is in charge of a municipality not too far from us (she scored second in the country in the competition). She put in a bank system where the villages meet twice a month with all their garbage they can sell (recyclables etc). She made contact with an insurance company. The municipality sell the garbage and pay into life insurance for that villager over the year. 

All municipalities discussed with houses, private shops and companies about turning food into compost and fertilizer and obviously recycling/ways to limit garbage. The idea is to eventually only have the odd hazard bin available to the public in the long term.

So yes, there is a competition for every province (attended by the PM and Minister - not just local). There are also competitions set by other ministries. But my focus has always been on municipalities and the Interior Ministry (you brought up all the other variables with your Google searching and surface knowledge). 

The Interior Ministry is sick of subsidising so much waste disposal. Each municipality must pay to dispose of their waste (as many do not have landfills), the household fee is not enough so the Ministry pays it. That is why garbage has been the focus for all municipalities over the last couple years. 

I will not bother reading the response, as it will just be a reply of 'nonsense', 'you're misinformed'. 

Edited by wildewillie89

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I understand the benefits of cycles in developed countries. But not in Thailand, it's suicide, esp if you go on main roads. II've only ever used out motor bike a few times, short distances.

If you can't afford a car, get a taxi or bus.

I, like many people, live out in the countryside.  There is little to no public transport.  The Taxi drivers will not come out to us as it is not worth it for them.  They almost get a nosebleed and start to panic once they leave the city... I can see them frantically making mental notes about how to get back to a main road as they go down the winding country roads through the rice fields and villages.  It would be stupid to wait hours for taxi to come out form the city to our house, only to have to pay a lot of Baht to go travel to the local market!!! 

Motor bikes are far more dangerous than a pushbike.. because of the speed.

I can afford a car.  I can not drive, nor do I wish to.  There are no busses where I live.  Only a few songtaews a few villages away (which is the start of their rout to the city) which run very irregularly... and to get to the place they stop it's a 30 minute bike ride.

Consider yourself very lucky if you have all the convenient public transport at you front door, but please think that for many people this is not an option.  

I have been cycling EVERY DAY for the past 15 years and so far have not committed suicide.  I know of lots of people in the village who have had accidents on their motorbikes and even a few have been killed.  I have also seen a few car crashes in the area.  

Keeping it related to street dogs... just tonight I had to pass through several areas where there were packs of them on the road and many chases the bike.  But for years of experience I know how to react to them to make them loose interest fast.  But they are still a danger and a danger that could be stopped if proper laws and enforcement were to happen.. and if people stopped going about dumping bags of food for them to increase their number every year.

• Like 1

I, like many people, live out in the countryside.  There is little to no public transport.  The Taxi drivers will not come out to us as it is not worth it for them.  They almost get a nosebleed and start to panic once they leave the city... I can see them frantically making mental notes about how to get back to a main road as they go down the winding country roads through the rice fields and villages.  It would be stupid to wait hours for taxi to come out form the city to our house, only to have to pay a lot of Baht to go travel to the local market!!! 

Motor bikes are far more dangerous than a pushbike.. because of the speed.

I can afford a car.  I can not drive, nor do I wish to.  There are no busses where I live.  Only a few songtaews a few villages away (which is the start of their rout to the city) which run very irregularly... and to get to the place they stop it's a 30 minute bike ride.

Consider yourself very lucky if you have all the convenient public transport at you front door, but please think that for many people this is not an option.  

I have been cycling EVERY DAY for the past 15 years and so far have not committed suicide.  I know of lots of people in the village who have had accidents on their motorbikes and even a few have been killed.  I have also seen a few car crashes in the area.  

Keeping it related to street dogs... just tonight I had to pass through several areas where there were packs of them on the road and many chases the bike.  But for years of experience I know how to react to them to make them loose interest fast.  But they are still a danger and a danger that could be stopped if proper laws and enforcement were to happen.. and if people stopped going about dumping bags of food for them to increase their number every year.

Riding the bike every day for 15 years you must have been bitten hundreds of times.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Riding the bike every day for 15 years you must have been bitten hundreds of times.

No.  Only 3 times.

Once very badly requiring a hospital visit, stitches and a course of anti rabies injections. 

Also had a few dogs just scrape teeth over my ankle or leg, and some just give me a shock when they rush out from somewhere with no warning.

22 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Some people can't drive

Some people can't afford a car.

Some people want to get healthy exercise

Some people have the cycling as a hobby

Some people care about the environment and don't want to pollute it with car emissions.

Some people want to cycle for pleasure to see the beautiful scenery and relax.

Some people know its a waste of money and energy to drive to a place very close to their home rather than cycling or walking.  

Dogs are run down, injured and killed by cars.  If you cared about dogs not getting into accidents or killed you would tell people to cycle and not drive a car.

Leave the cyclists alone and respect the people who use bicycles... keep your  dogs under proper control.. and that includes any you feed on the street. 

I raced Velodrome, Road Races then later a little Mountain Bike.  So I love bikes.  My point is the madness of riding a bike in "Thai traffic" with head phones on or with out for that matter.  "keep your  dogs under proper control.. and that includes any you feed on the street. "  Brilliant...

This is a very disturbing aspect of dogs in Thailand....

Health warning as rabies spreads rapidly...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339618

"Dr Sopon Iamsirithawon, the Disease Control Department’s Vector Borne Diseases Bureau director, said a total of 14 people had died from rabies last year, with one death already this year. He said people should be concerned about rabies and learn how to protect themselves.

“There is still the misunderstanding among the public that rabies can be cured, but actually once the patient shows symptoms, it is already too late and death is guaranteed,” Sophon said."

It might be noted that one of the provinces with the highest rates is Chonburi...Which includes Pattaya.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1

It seem to be at a temple ?

It says at the Kow Chee Jun tesabarn office which I'm not exactly sure if its located in the temple grounds or not

Kow Chee Jun is where the large golden Buddha image was laser etched onto the side of a hill, there are other attractions nearby like Nong Nooch botanical gardens and Silverlake "winery"
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, johng said:

It says at the Kow Chee Jun tesabarn office which I'm not exactly sure if its located in the temple grounds or not

Kow Chee Jun is where the large golden Buddha image was laser etched onto the side of a hill, there are other attractions nearby like Nong Nooch botanical gardens and Silverlake "winery"

You do know that this is only for dogs and not for humans? It is not located in the temple grounds, there must be a government building near Pictory Garden Resort where the vacs are taking place.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Hope this helps. Where the upsidedown red teardrop is.

IMG_20180305_181956.jpg

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

You do know that this is only for dogs and not for humans?

Dogs, cats and maybe any other animal species effected by rabies...except as you say humans who can probably go to the "Watt Yarn" hospital which is very near the temple.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, johng said:

Dogs, cats and maybe any other animal species effected by rabies...except as you say humans who can probably go to the "Watt Yarn" hospital which is very near the temple.

"There is still the misunderstanding among the public that rabies can be cured, but actually once the patient shows symptoms, it is already too late and death is guaranteed,”

• Confused 1