BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scottyboy8

When Is It Time To Leave?

Right now, it seems everything about Thailand annoys me. Maybe it is just a phase, but everything is mounting up. Even things like motorbike taxis parked at the entrance of my condo smoking, the slow walking, the security guards blowing their whistles etc. (could be here all day listing these) are starting to really get to me. I have been here almost 10 years but I am now miserable and hate going outside my condo. The thing is, I know I will probably regret it if I go home.

Is it time to leave? Or should I look for my dream Thai life somewhere outside Bangkok?

That's very personal of course.

My advice however would be to take a LONG trip back to your home country, assuming that's where you'd be moving to after Thailand, and see how you feel when you're landing at BKK. 

I did that at Christmas and was so happy to be back in Bangkok. That happiness was sucked out of me after a week haha. Perhaps I should look at somewhere else in Thailand...

14 minutes ago, Scottyboy8 said:

I did that at Christmas and was so happy to be back in Bangkok. That happiness was sucked out of me after a week haha. Perhaps I should look at somewhere else in Thailand...

Bangkok is intense. Again, it's personal. If you have something viable to go back to, that would make a difference. Many expats stay because staying is the best of all possible worlds for their situation, even though well short of any kind of paradise. 

I thought once what would i do if anything happened to my wife. Now i couldnt imagine living here alone .our son has his own life and lives with his girlfriend they only stay with us a few days a week. Then i thought what would i do back in the UK i would not want to live with my daughter she has her husband and child to look after.although i know they would try to make me and they have a very large house. But while being there on holiday is great i would not want to live there .so a small flat on my own. Sitting in front of the tv sorry not for me so not a lot of choice as you get older.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When you cant find anthing to have a laugh about....IT'S TIME !

Don't know about anybody else but city living in a pressure cooker environment has never appealed to me.....I could never do it....

I've always lived close enough to city type areas that I could drive in, find/enjoy whatever I wanted - then leave.....

Running away back home or elsewhere overseas will not give you your Thai dream life (whatever that might entail).

If part of the dream is dependant on being Bangkok based for personal reason, move a little further away (if you can) from the district of the city that is causing you grief, and relocate elsewhere that is realistically commutable for you by public and private transport at hours to suit.

If life doesn't need to revolve around the metropolis, there are the local forums on this website that give sometimes contentious insight to the good, the bad and the ugly of provincial living.

Field trips may be your best option.

Hope all works out well for you.

There are a lot of things here that drive you up the wall and I think that’s intensified in Bangkok. The grass is always greener etc, etc, but the uk now, is not the same country I left behind. 

Sometimes all people who look constantly at their phones while walking or driving make me angry. Not that I do anything against them but if I am with a friend I might say something about all those brainless idiots.

And I agree about the stupid whistles and there are other annoying situations.

Maybe on some days there are more of those people and on other days not so many. But it seem on some days I almost don't notice them and on other days I see them everywhere. So maybe it's just my perception that if I am anyhow for whatever reason in not such a good mood I see more of the bad things which annoy me. Maybe I had too much coffee on the day with all those annoying people and on that specific day I see more of them.

But in general I still love to live in the middle of Bangkok. Reading the news from "home" and many other countries does not make me feel like I want to go there. Just seeing the weather over there is enough to know that I don't want to be there. And then there are often enough these positive experiences in life when I think: This could only happen like this in Thailand. And that is what I like.

My advise is think about the things which you like here and enjoy them. If there are still enough moments here which you really like and which you think could happen only in Thailand, then stay. And if there is nothing like that anymore then I guess you will leave anyhow sooner or later. Make sure you find a better place wherever you go and don't just try to go back to a place in a time which does not exist anymore (because maybe you left from there >10 years ago).

4 hours ago, Scottyboy8 said:

I can't even imagine living in that *hole. Plenty of alternatives, but you have to decide what you want ie beach or village or town.

Pattaya is a good half way, with city facilities but not so "bad", or Hua Hin if don't like the bar scene, Chiang Mai if want a boring city. Hundreds of alternatives.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's very personal of course.

My advice however would be to take a LONG trip back to your home country, assuming that's where you'd be moving to after Thailand, and see how you feel when you're landing at BKK. 

In the winter

4 hours ago, i claudius said:

I thought once what would i do if anything happened to my wife. Now i couldnt imagine living here alone .our son has his own life and lives with his girlfriend they only stay with us a few days a week. Then i thought what would i do back in the UK i would not want to live with my daughter she has her husband and child to look after.although i know they would try to make me and they have a very large house. But while being there on holiday is great i would not want to live there .so a small flat on my own. Sitting in front of the tv sorry not for me so not a lot of choice as you get older.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The UK spring and summer Thailand Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb and March maybe

20 hours ago, Scottyboy8 said:

I hate to tell you OP, but it sounds like you will be miserable wherever you go.  Maybe it's just a phase you're going through.  Perhaps you need to look inside yourself.