Out of date topics

sambum

How long does it take the admin/mods to decide to close an ageing topic?

There have been several instances recently when prior the the current post, the previous comment was several months ago.

One thread  that I have just looked at was originally posted on June 16 2017, the previous last post was on June 18 2017, and now somebody makes a comment on 17 Feb 2018! The post in question is not exactly ongoing news, such as the latest state of the plans for an election, or a possible appeal by the convicted Koh Tao Burmese men:-

"Tokyo business man just ten minutes into first trip to Pattaya - now 50,000 baht lighter"

4 hours ago, sambum said:

How long does it take the admin/mods to decide to close an ageing topic?

There have been several instances recently when prior the the current post, the previous comment was several months ago.

One thread  that I have just looked at was originally posted on June 16 2017, the previous last post was on June 18 2017, and now somebody makes a comment on 17 Feb 2018!

While a MOD can close a topic to further posts, they are reluctant to do so.

A ThaiVisa system administrator might set a task to archive older topics that don't have current activity ...but there are many topic older than 2012 (or even older) that can still be replied in.

If a topic has been archived, you'll see the following banner posted above the topic title:

image.png.16b7479a86514d2ec564e3410246d1f4.png  

29 minutes ago, RichCor said:

While a MOD can close a topic to further posts, they are reluctant to do so.

A ThaiVisa system administrator might set a task to archive older topics that don't have current activity ...but there are many topic older than 2012 (or even older) that can still be replied in.

If a topic has been archived, you'll see the following banner posted above the topic title:

image.png.16b7479a86514d2ec564e3410246d1f4.png  

Yes, I realise that, thank you, but it just seems a bit pointless to keep a topic open where there has been little or no activity for months, but when a topic becomes "heated" they close it almost immediately.

Some topic material becomes 'stale' in hours or days.

Other topics, say something with staying power like farming, can be active for years with just dribs and drabs of posts adding to the collective data of the topic.

To say all topics should automatically be closed after a certain time of inactivity would result in the loss of some continuity on certain topic posts.

Luckily the forum is designed to present you with only the newest posts on any topic, so most older topics fall away as newer posts take the top locations. Older topics can only resurface if you search for them or someone tacks on a new post. Only forum etiquette dictates when/if someone shouldn't add a new post to an old topic. 

No forum is perfect. No forum has perfect members. Especially this one.

Some people just don't know when to shut up. Wait, who said that! Show yourself! 

Several months ago? How about several years ago! TVF surely must pay a lot of money for "server-space". And TVF is old. Older than the internet skills of many participants.
Surely, with some effort, one could find some old threads on TVF going back to "William the Concueror", the ancient invadors/soldiers complaining "What a boring place this London is, we should have invaded Pattaya instead".:clap2:

Seriously, any thread older than 2 months should no more be accessible by anyone. If a thread is of interest, within 2 Months, all the opinions/views have been voiced. To make room for new assessements of an existing or a new situation, as the case may be.
In a fast moving world, a 2 month old thread is just "water under the bridge".
Cheers.
PS: By "water under the bridge": I am not trying to connect this expression with the sewage disposal efforts taking place in Pattaya. Haeaven forbid!

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

If a topic has not been posted on for 2 years it s automatically archived.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If a topic has not been posted on for 2 years it s automatically archived.

Some topics seem to be hiding from the archivist process when it runs...   :smile:

How Much Red Wine Can Cause Alcoholism ?
By THAIPHUKET, January 16, 2012 in I drink too much Forum 

last post: November 22, 2014

Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad
By Jingthing, January 24, 2013 in Western Food in Thailand 

last post: January 2, 2015

...but, yea, for the most part older topics have been marked as 'Archived' and posting disabled.

Good question. I will never understand the idiots who complain when we bump an old thread.

We do it because we hope that some of the posters will see the new question related to the OP.

And in my opinion if any forum didn't want that we bump old posts, it is not difficult to automatically close them earlier.

2 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Good question. I will never understand the idiots who complain when we bump an old thread.

We do it because we hope that some of the posters will see the new question related to the OP.

And in my opinion if any forum didn't want that we bump old posts, it is not difficult to automatically close them earlier.

I think some people are just embarrassed about the nonsense that they have posted, and want the thread to go away to hide their shame.

SC

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2018 at 8:41 PM, swissie said:

Seriously, any thread older than 2 months should no more be accessible by anyone. If a thread is of interest, within 2 Months, all the opinions/views have been voiced. To make room for new assessements of an existing or a new situation, as the case may be.
In a fast moving world, a 2 month old thread is just "water under the bridge".

@swissie

With respect, I disagree.

I posted on the thread below in December 2017, and just updated it today, as I said I would in my last post. I think it's still relevant and will still be in 6 months from now. Not all topics are created equal!

On 2/18/2018 at 7:15 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I wish they would have kept the "cheapest farang in Bangkok" thread open. The one where one guy monopolized a seat in one of the Emporium restaurants

That must have been back in 2011 , when I lived in BKK. Happy days :whistling:

Archived