Oxfam sex abuse criticism disproportionate, chief executive says

rooster59

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

The people who collect money and who work for free in their shops to help people from poor Countries and the people who make donations , wouldnt want that money spent on prostitutes .

Also , theres the probability that they paid  "non prostitutes" for sex , a poor hungry homeless 18 year old girl  "Drop by to my office at 5 PM sweetie , after work and I will take you out for a meal , as long as you have sex with me" kind of thing

It's not 'their' money the people earned it through salary and it is theirs to spend on what they like.  Please reevaluate your 'righteous' approach and as for the 18 year old is there any proof of this type of exchange?

A 'friend' meets 18 years olds in bars all over Thailand are they in the same category?  I see nothing wrong in my friend paying an 18 year old and getting some humpy bumpy in exchange. This is more about YOUR personal views than any sin committed by these guys. Next time you donate to a charity get them to sign a 'no-sex' pledge.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It's not 'their' money the people earned it through salary and it is theirs to spend on what they like.  Please reevaluate your 'righteous' approach and as for the 18 year old is there any proof of this type of exchange?

A 'friend' meets 18 years olds in bars all over Thailand are they in the same category?  I see nothing wrong in my friend paying an 18 year old and getting some humpy bumpy in exchange. This is more about YOUR personal views than any sin committed by these guys. Next time you donate to a charity get them to sign a 'no-sex' pledge.

I was giving a possible example .

The men were there to provide aid , its quite possible that the girls were forced into prostitution in exchange for aid .

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The men were there to provide aid , its quite possible that the girls were forced into prostitution in exchange for aid .

If there is any evidence of an Oxfam aid worker saying   "do this and I'll give you an aid package" that is blackmail and a different thing entirely but you don't know this happened you just wonder if it did. 

If, more likely, the guys just went to the local bar and selected a girl (a la Thai style) why the indignation? Who they work for is irrelevant in my view.

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If they were forced it would be rape, not prostitution.

If a woman chooses to provide sex in return for material gain, that is something millions of woman do all over the world every day. Thailand is full of women that marry farangs in exchange for material gain.

You are entitled to believe that prostitution is wrong, but many of us ( surprise surprise surprise ) do not.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they were forced it would be rape, not prostitution.

If a woman chooses to provide sex in return for material gain, that is something millions of woman do all over the world every day. Thailand is full of women that marry farangs in exchange for material gain.

You are entitled to believe that prostitution is wrong, but many of us ( surprise surprise surprise ) do not.

Where have I said that prostitution is wrong ?

If one of the houses in your village burned down and family lost everything , would you feel that its perfectly acceptable to offer to "give" the Family 1000 Baht , as long as they allowed to have have sex with their daughter ? 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Where have I said that prostitution is wrong ?

If one of the houses in your village burned down and family lost everything , would you feel that its perfectly acceptable to offer to "give" the Family 1000 Baht , as long as they allowed to have have sex with their daughter ? 

In the village close to me there are no daughters I'm sorry to say. But I do have a little list of where some are:

• uni
  • have job in bank or some such respectable place away from said village 
  • with bf/gik or as a mia noi (which in Thai terms is also classed as 'respectable' - Thai style)
  • with Thai husband after being banged up
  • with old farang for 'love' (of course)
  • BKK/Pattaya all working as 'waitresses' (none in the bar of course Tsk! Tsk!)

But if the house did burn down and I went to find their daughter I think the going rate is a little more than 1,000 these day's.

Having worked with and for Aide agencies, both NGO and government, improper activities have always been a low-level concern.   Most aide workers are advised to abide by the cultural norms of the area in which they are working.   In some places sexual behavior will be more tolerated than others.  

The behavior that was acceptable in a Cambodian refugee camp is different from one in Iraq, for example.  

The UN, government agencies and charities usually repatriate their workers if there is an indication of trouble because the legal systems in some of these places are very dodgy.  

There will be what can be considered as improper behavior by some in any place where a natural disaster has occurred.   The cultural norms have broken down.  

It's quite unfair to tarnish an entire organization because of the (mis)behavior of a few.  

Archived