What type of snake is this ?

DineshR

3 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Yep...Rat snake...harmless. Let it go & it will eat frogs & associated vermin.

R u sure? The OP's snake seems much lighter merging with its white underbelly. Moonlover's snake has very little light skin showing.

Not being a herpetologist, it appears I am in error to definitely say it is a Rat snake. A better photo of the head would help, but I understand the time for that has passed.

I have searched the snake sites I have bookmarked & am not able to exactly match it to any positively identified snake. I have seen these before & they are usually more scared of me than I am of them. As a general rule, the non distinct brown snakes with small narrow heads are usually harmless. That's a GENERAL rule of thumb.

Here is an academic paper listing many types of venomous snakes here in Thailand. Note that more are boldly & brightly colored, with vipers having wide triangular heads. Nothing comes close to resembling the OP's example.

http://www.venomstreet.com/images/pdf/Asian Cobras/Characterization of venomous snakes of Thailand (Chanhome et al).pdf

7 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Yep...Rat snake...harmless. Let it go & it will eat frogs & associated vermin.

Too late for that. It's spine looks broken it at least 2 places and it will not be keeping vermin at bay any longer. I used to have this urge to bash snakes that came near our house many years ago, but gradually learned they do more good than harm and are a vital part of the local ecosystem. So unless it is in the house and directly threatening me, my reaction is to let them go with a verbal warning these days....:wink:

Thank you all. Unfortunately for the snake, my father in law beat it to death. I never actually saw it but only saw it in the photo my son took. But good to know that it was potentially harmless. This is the 2 nd snake that we found right in front of our front door. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, SunsetT said:

R u sure? The OP's snake seems much lighter merging with its white underbelly. Moonlover's snake has very little light skin showing.

Never try to identify a snake by color alone. They can vary drastically and it might be your downfall if you assume wrongly !!

14 hours ago, DineshR said:

Thank you all. Unfortunately for the snake, my father in law beat it to death. I never actually saw it but only saw it in the photo my son took. But good to know that it was potentially harmless. This is the 2 nd snake that we found right in front of our front door. Thank you everyone for your comments.

What a pity that the snakes life came to a miserable end I never understand why people have to hack them to death,  or that I like them but they do have a purpose in life having spent the first few years living high in the mountains of Samui our garden was undated with snakes from a baby monocle cobra to a 3mtr Burmese Python but I never made any attempt to kill them our dog Theo would always make us aware that there was a snake around by standing his ground and barking until the snakes glided away I was more frightened of scorpions as I was constantly being stung by the critters after the first 5/6 stings my body seemed to become immune to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

What a pity that the snakes life came to a miserable end I never understand why people have to hack them to death

The more important thing here is the learning process. We tend first to react with instinct and kill the snakes, which then can be learned to overcome with more knowledge. 

This happened to me and @plachon, it will happen to many more. 

There are many Facebook pages dedicated to snake identification regionally in Thailand and the contributors are typically more knowledgeable then the TV squad. Join the group in your region and it may prevent senseless destruction of an animal that this country so desperately needs. 

Screenshot_20180220-111846.png

On 2/20/2018 at 11:22 AM, csabo said:

There are many Facebook pages dedicated to snake identification regionally in Thailand and the contributors are typically more knowledgeable then the TV squad. Join the group in your region and it may prevent senseless destruction of an animal that this country so desperately needs. 

Screenshot_20180220-111846.png

I can't think of any good reason to harm or kill a snake

Some times photos on Thai visa take a crazy time to open, it took 8 minutes after clicking on this thread before I could see the pictures. The horrendous advertising is destroying this forum for those of us living in rural Thailand with slow internet.

Yes it looks like a viper, I have had a few in my garden the same as the photo. Very beautiful but scary, hope it moved away from your home. Be careful doing the weeding.

18 hours ago, mick220675 said:

The horrendous advertising is destroying this forum for those of us living in rural Thailand with slow internet.

Run adblock.  If you care about the 10 second thing when you run adblock, open Thaivisa in Chrome incognito mode.  No waiting 10 seconds.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, DineshR said:

Just had another snake encounter ... I think this is a green pit viper ... venomous and dangerous I think.. in my front yard

Venomous and maybe would result in a few hours in hospital, but unlikely to kill you unless you had underlying health conditions or were very young/old.

Archived