The Hit and Run Pattaya "whinge" Thread

JSixpack

old-lady.jpg.9d5011ea86a0a89ebaa0390987316d9d.jpg

ANOTHER pot hole targeted at farangs? Thais! How much more???

The Hit And Run Pattaya “Whinge” Thread

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself.

--Darwin

Alas, one of our venerable members recently left in a huff and sniffed that he'd spend his next vacation in Hua Hin, not in unfriendly Pattaya with all its fat, lazy, greedy bargirls. Yuk.

And so a chorus of the usual moans and grunts arose from the disaffected in condemnation of our beloved cesspool. A small minority of objective observers did manage to interject a bit of rational perspective--heroes all.

Now that thread could have been considerably shortened. What’s long been needed is a collection of whinges in one place.

• Whingers can simply link to the list or add new whinge;
  • Responses can link to previous responses or add new response;
  • Bitter émigrés can simply point to the list rather than repeat his reasons;
  • Subsequent whinges can be collected in one place;
  • Bashers needn't search for reasons to bash;
  • No need for yearly DEAD PATTAYA threads: Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral integrated;
  • True cesspoolians can skip the whinge thread and more easily get to real content.

So without further ado—oh. Particular mention must be given to awfulness of the Unflooded Tunnel Disaster, the bitter disappointment of which has led the brigade of foolish Flooders to go silent, having jumped balconies or lost the will to live. Sad, and decimating to truly informed, authoritative posting on our beloved forum. But, c'est la vie. A new generation of noobs FOB awaits to try to fill those shoes.

Following are actual whinges from over the years, omitting the hellish brain-eating Whither Thailand and Whither Pattaya space monkeys. Rather than dump them in a huge blob I did spend a few minutes imposing a bit of formatting and organization, with which you may quibble to dismiss the topic. Feel free to rewrite it your way and add your whinge now.

The Environmental Disaster

ant infestations, bugs in room old growth trees cut down
broken CCTV cameras open ditches
broken or blocked sidewalks overhanging signs
broken pedestrian lights overhanging wires
crappy broken promenade with no shade or seats pollution of all kinds (air sea land noise)
crappy views pot holes
dengue fever worries rats
filth speed bumps (too few, too many, or unexpected)
flooding stink

no beach

ruined beach

trash

The Desert

Bali Hai desolation ruined buildings
deserted bars ruined pier
deserted condo buildings shops closed

deserted malls

Waterford

The Inconvenience

ATM fees too high and limits too low menus not given to farang only Thai partners
ATMs eating cards missing motorcy taxi fare signage
baht bus ripoffs no aircon at Tony's, not enough at The Avenue
blocked Daily Mail no metered taxis
bus terminal baht bus delays and overcharging no prominent signage pointing to cheap whey protein powder and testosterone
continuous quest for best burger and pizza no promised Foodland on Threppasit
crappy cable TV service noisy, cold theaters
dearth of DIY coin-operated washing machines overcharging dentists, opticians, doctors, hospitals, ATMs, bar girls, drivers, shyster lawyers, McDonald’s and Starbucks
dearth of proper pig scratchings overpriced private hospitals with incompetent doctors
dual pricing power outages
fear of credit card skimming runny fried eggs
food not prepared as expected slow postal service
haircuts with white sidewalls slow throttled and blocked internet
half-assed aircon service Starbucks
high bar fines unneeded overpriced ferry service to Hua Hin
import fees arrogant hotel clerks
internet speeds slower than advertised malls not opening at 9 AM
lack of proper English (Brummie or Geordie etc.) loss of Carrefour
terrible traffic, no parking available crazy drivers, reckless, too fast, wrong side of the street
homicidal van drivers lack of overpasses
motorcycle trucks scooters with loud exhausts
tour buses clogging streets and polluting buses with no brakes
dangerous Soi Buakhao  

The Repulsion

creepy old men w/ young wimmen itinerant shoe shiners
farang cop wannabes itinerant street vendors
farang wearing white socks and sandals massage touts
farang welcomed not for themselves but for their money! meth sellers on Beach Rd.
fat farang in speedos no wais from 7/11 clerks
inattentive ignorant hardware store salespersons nothing but fat ugly old women
insincere women unsmiling unfriendly incompetent store clerks and cheating cashiers
rampant greed Chinese kid poopers
Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs and other non-Brits  

The BiB

corrupt lazy incompetent police police impersonators
farang cop wannabes traffic police targeting farangs
finger pointing at criminals allowing Thais not to wear helmets and to jump lights

101 businesses noncompliance (often fingered by our whataboutistas and the mighty TVF Pointing Finger Of Justice)

allowing underage Thai motorcyclists

The Terror

balcony pushers fear of counterfeit money given out by banks and exchange booths
Big C satang rounding-up scam gold necklace & bag snatchers
biker gangs hotel safecrackers
condo bought off plan not built or no title given jet ski scams
crotch-grabbing ladyboys kids throwing rocks
drugged nipples soi dogs
farang gangs in cahoots with the police thugs constantly attacking farangs

And for non smokers : Everywhere you look there is some tub of shit cigarette  smoking slob. Sitting on the steps somewhere, along the beach walk now. 

Caucasians: The worst. The scandinavians in Jomtien. These sorry middle age/up smoke everywhere. A disgusting  nationality.

Then the arrogant Germans in Naklua. who think they have the right to smoke anywhere like on songkows. 

What can you say about these Russians except smoke till you drop. 

Then the U.K. lowlifes in Pattaya.

Asians: These Chinese males are just stupid. The Korean males are the just oblivious

Then add on all the other lowlife ignorant Asian males everywhere around here 

One sorry collection of obnoxious slobs that make up at least 60% of Pattaya population  

Great thread!

I shall contribute at every opportunity! I'll post a photo of every pot hole, every plastic bottle I stumble across. Perhaps even short videos of buses. BUSES!!  In a city, of all places!

This dangerous, horrible town deserves honest thread that exposes the ugly underbelly. 

Let the pothole countdown begin! 

(I have to get out of bed, first, but I promise, there will be  time stamped, geotagged pothole photos later tonight) 

Respect. The list of Pattaya "irritants" is quite complete I find. All points more or less relevant.
Future Pattaya visitors should all be in the posession of this list.
It would enable them to prepare (know what to expect) and find it all perfectly normal as long as it's on the list, helping them to avoid (or ignore) all the 120 potential pitfalls and irritants that an average tourist may encounter.

The author deserves praise. Never before has anyone presented such a comprehensive list of relevant "negatives" concerning the Beach-Resort. Again, respect.
Cheers.
PS: I retract my former statement in an other thread, that the author might possibly be on the payroll of the TAT. A person, unsparingly listing negatives and irritants in such relevant detail, can not possibly work for the TAT.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OP already did it.

Regrettably, not every arriving Tourist is a TVF member and I don't think OP is distributing flyers at the Airport concerning this matter, regardless how useful this might be.

Or is the remark "OP already did" a cryptic message? Only to be understood by true insiders.
The last cryptic message I read was "The fish swims in muddy waters". 2 days later the last sewage treatement plant in Pattaya went on a blink. Well....?
Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Regrettably, not every arriving Tourist is a TVF member and I don't think OP is distributing flyers at the Airport concerning this matter, regardless how useful this might be.

Or is the remark "OP already did" a cryptic message? Only to be understood by true insiders.
The last cryptic message I read was "The fish swims in muddy waters". 2 days later the last sewage treatement plant in Pattaya went on a blink. Well....?
Cheers.

I think people know what OP means.

Most occasions I find the OP enlightening, interesting and  articulate but can be irritating, sarcastic, malicious and  occasionally  downright rude !

In other words compulsive reading

But If I see his name on any thread it is usually the end of that thread for me and I turn the page, other than that, is when He provides advice or information which in the past has been very helpful to me and no doubt many others.

On this occasion for some unknown self flagellating reason I either missed the OP s name and was through the thread before I realised who was the Author!

Remind myself  in future have a deeper look at what the OP brings up before  I close the door on his missives!

A brilliant , articulate and  well written thread OP!

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Someone's got too much time on their hands. But a goodie ...thanks for the effort. Just one more whinge to add which is to whinge amount farangs dissing Pattaya on internet forums and those that whinge about such moaners.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Methinks someone has a lot of time to use.

Not that that's wrong or anything. I spend far too much time on TVF too.

I address this off-topic little personal "observation" regularly and even mentioned it on my forum profile. In this case as usual a large percentage is merely copy and paste, edit slightly, reformat. Part comes from a post I wrote years ago, the rest from a post last year I think. In a comma-delimited list it's trivial to search for ", " and replace with the regular expression "\n" so that you have a column. Then just rearrange in Excel. Really no biggie though it must seem so if you post from a phone while sitting on a barstool. Now I did write a few new sentences in the intro. :smile:

On 2/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, JSixpack said:

Q: Why do you write such long posts?

A: Piece o' cake. Me, I was lucky to have had an excellent typing teacher in the 10th grade: Mrs. Brown, bless 'er. If you yourself need help learning to type, you might try here: Learn How to Touch Type. I'm also enjoying using my backlit mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches. Tried one yet? You should. For perspective, consider that Tolstoy rewrote War And Peace eight times with a quill pen. Spend more time with Henry James and Marcel Proust.

Behind the scenes, I do have some great tools for fast composition, like clipboard manager, scrapbook, autopager, quick text paster, web editor, etc. So many forum posts in the Pattaya forum are just timeworn repetitions that only merit the same copy-and-paste response anyway.

But let's not go there. :smile: Better comfort yourself w/ the (laughable) fantasy that I'm lonely, obsessed, need to get a life, etc. Cheers!

18 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I address this off-topic little personal "observation" regularly and even mentioned it on my forum profile. In this case as usual a large percentage is merely copy and paste, edit slightly, reformat. Part comes from a post I wrote years ago, the rest from a post last year I think. In a comma-delimited list it's trivial to search for ", " and replace with the regular expression "\n" so that you have a column. Then just rearrange in Excel. Really no biggie though it must seem so if you post from a phone while sitting on a barstool. Now I did write a few new sentences in the intro. :smile:

tldr;

methinks the lady doth protest too much....:smile:

16 hours ago, swissie said:

The author deserves praise. Never before has anyone presented such a comprehensive list of relevant "negatives" concerning the Beach-Resort. Again, respect.

Cheers.

Thank you. Your departure from our beloved cesspool provided me w/ part of the intro here and I made sure to include your whinge about 7/11 clerks not giving you a "wai." :smile:

PS: I retract my former statement in an other thread, that the author might possibly be on the payroll of the TAT. A person, unsparingly listing negatives and irritants in such relevant detail, can not possibly work for the TAT.

I'll have to add that TAT insult (now justly retracted) to real estate agent etc. Actually I have sterling credentials provided by none other than The manic himself (I love this forum):

On 10/9/2017 at 1:17 PM, The manic said:

Your point of view is so negative it indicates clinical depression.  Your view is very one sided and simply  not true because it is not the whole picture.  This is why hundreds of thousands of people visit Pattaya making it one of the most popular resorts/holiday destinations in the world. 

31 minutes ago, HLover said:

The toughest thing about this thread is deciding which is more amusing? The topics or the replies trying to have a battle of wits with the OP, who clearly wins every time.

could have a go but have been threatened with mods so  I won't. You don't get to 1 million posts without having a lawyers eye for the rules. Right back on topic in the repulsion category the filthy rag of a towel that stands next to the sink with the loose tap for washing your hands. I have never dared touch it and never will. Wipe them on my trousers because at least I know where  they've been. 

On a point of order the OP is in the Pattaya section whilst many of these whinges are generic Thailand whinges. Maybe the topic should fork into General, Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

could have a go but have been threatened with mods so  I won't. You don't get to 1 million posts without having a lawyers eye for the rules. Right back on topic in the repulsion category the filthy rag of a towel that stands next to the sink with the loose tap for washing your hands. I have never dared touch it and never will. Wipe them on my trousers because at least I know where  they've been. 

On a point of order the OP is in the Pattaya section whilst many of these whinges are generic Thailand whinges. Maybe the topic should fork into General, Just a thought.

Mum said never trust a novice lawyer with wet trousers.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The O.P. is truly a classic and deserves the Thaivisa Pull-it-beer Prize, but if I had had all that material I would have tease posted it in dribs and drabs. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? 

Plenty of cow support sponsers observed...

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The O.P. is truly a classic and deserves the Thaivisa Pull-it-beer Prize, but if I had had all that material I would have tease posted it in dribs and drabs. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? 

Thanks. Not a bad idea at all about the dribs and drabs--in the same thread I assume you mean. Guess since I'd been thinking about posting such a thread for quite a while I just wanted to get it done and out of the way. And having the entire collection posted at once is of immediate utility. Now when a whinge is posted we can simply point to the list. Why select one or two topics to whinge about when you can have the whole buffet? Go big or go home, man. And one can immediately point out that the whinge is nothing new, just the same ol' same ol'.

Could probably get a lot more whinges posted by taking the opposite viewpoint: The Hit And Run Pattaya "likes" Thread. Nothing like a list of positive aspects of Pattaya to bring down the wrath of our bashers. I did this in 2010 you may remember when I posted Why Is Everything Opening Up? in response to a DEATH thread, Why Is Everything Closing Down? Doomsters found it just intolerable to contemplate the fact that more businesses were opening than closing--and jumped in. Since then the size of Pattaya's economy has at least doubled. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Certainly true and something I've thought about. My defense is that even the generic whinges were collected in the Pattaya forum and a Pattaya whinger probably believes that the whatever he's whinging about is a lot worse, even disastrous, in Pattaya. I trust word will get around to those reading the General forum as the Pattaya forum is so lively.

I almost never read forums other than Pattaya, Health, and IT--and the Movies/TV Shows thread the Farang Pub--unless a topic comes up in the TV Newsletter.

The same situation will arise if I post TVF Poster Economics: A Primer. I'd like that to stay in the Pattaya forum at least a while because I've only read Pattaya-related postings by our ace TVF economists, many of whom do live, or did, in Pattaya. Probably need to change the title . . . . :smile:

These photos are in same area ( right about 2004) above walking st at South end of beach walk. Now this area  is a construction trailer junkyard

for the never ending cycle of beach restoration/failed  projects.  Here are the new sandbags for the start of the  latest cycle .

image.png.779a580ad4de3f67f317cf03fbc2ddc2.pngimage.png.b6d8e820f3025aac61a84d8c8df4f3ed.png image.png.60898bd61144537878dca0ddeaa90e3e.png

The Pattayalands , just North of Walking st / Beach rd used to be a great area ( 2002 - 5) for classic go go's ( if I want to see moonscapes,gorillas, fake prisons Ill go to a theme  park)

The two Pattaylands now are wastelands. Actually the only good views now are the Long View and the Night View. The street view is shabby: Trash / garbage , especially around tour buses.

Sidewalks occupied by these taxi related lowlifes lying around smoking and spitting all day.

I guess this does not bother the majority of oblivious (tour)  tourists, lowlife tourists .

Then there are  those who just put  up with it for a variety of reasons  But this city can forget about quality tourists - they are not oblivious and wont put up with it. 

blob.png.a3e19aa50b689e1ae0e3e2fc7045cad8.pngblob.png.e01147f38c435526402108d0d54d8ec6.png

Wastelands 2018. The Long View. ( that will always be good) 

Classic go go Pattayalands 2003

blob.png

Archived