Chinese tourists warned - stop trashing "beautiful" Thailand

webfact

3pm1.jpg

Picture: INN

The Chinese have been told in no uncertain terms to stop damaging the beauty and environment of Thailand.

The comments come in a letter issued by the Tourism Authority of Thailand to their Chinese counterparts after damage to the reef in Koh Lipe during Chinese New Year.

But it is not just the marine environment that has raised the Thais' ire - the Chinese have been warned about damage to temples and Thailand's "beautiful places".

3pm2.jpg

Picture: INN

Stories abounded on Thai media as it was reported that Chinese tourists in groups or on family holidays were stomping on coral reefs, collecting starfish to adorn bed headboards and even putting colorful reef fish in plastic bags to gawk at.

INN said this was all going on despite campaigns to tell the Chinese not to do such things.

Now the head of the Hat Yai TAT Panu Woramitr who has responsibility for the Songkhla and Satun areas has issued some clear directives to the Chinese tourism authorities in a letter.

They have been told to warn tourists to stop damaging the marine environment and respect places such as temples and other beautiful places they come to visit.

The issuing of the letter was revealed by park volunteer and reef guardian Somsak Phomthung, 36, who told INN that he was very concerned by the damage in Koh Lipe.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-20

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the Thais are bastions of cleanliness and conservation now I forgot.

Just look at any bit of vacant land, it'll be covered in Thailand's national flower, the plastic bag. Get a grip you morons and lead by example ?

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

issued some clear directives to the Chinese tourism authorities in a letter

In their response, Chinese tourism authorities have asked TAT to clarify whether 12 hour toilet breaks are allowed during all-you-can-eat buffets.

Thais can feel superior with their environmental attitude as they hold their had out and take the Chinese money, but the Chinese are the masters now.

If Thailand wants ever increasing tourist revenues it will have to accept the ways of their powerful Chinese friends. The Chinese do not care what TAT says.

Well it now makes sense to me. Pattaya is full of rubbish everywhere.

It has probably got 4 times worse since the overthrow of Pattaya City Hall three years ago. Before the overthrow the rubbish situation wasnt good, but now it is terrible. I had hoped it would actually improve with the new administration, but I have been bitterly disapointed.

I thought they were just incompetent, but it does seem to coincide with the increased Chinese tourist numbers. 

I mistakenly thought those Asian looking people dumping rubbish of the back of trucks in every vacant block were Thais and was shocked they could do that to their own country, but now I know, they are actually Chinese. 

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Enjoy your new quality tourists. You have to since the westies aren't coming back, the Chinese drove them away. Nice strategy TAT, jolly well done.

Yeah, they should have put some thought into it before trying to get the lowest-of-lowest chinese to thailand to milk them of the little they have.

Now the tourism numbers are higher than ever, but the price thailand pays will be huge for future generation.

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Ah yes... Beautiful untouched Koh Lipe... :coffee1:

That's just about what side streets (in non-tourist areas) looked like in Koh Samui already 20 years ago. Never went back to that overpriced dump of a 'paradise'. Considering the "Trash Mountain" news and such, I doubt it has gotten better over the years....

3 hours ago, mick220675 said:

Thais can feel superior with their environmental attitude as they hold their had out and take the Chinese money, but the Chinese are the masters now.

If Thailand wants ever increasing tourist revenues it will have to accept the ways of their powerful Chinese friends. The Chinese do not care what TAT says.

The TAT should breed starfish and then toss a bunch into the water before the Chinese bus unloads. Problem solved! 

I agree that the Mainland Chinese can be quite an uncouth lot - I have had runs-in with this kind on more than one occasion but, to be fair, the Thais aren't exactly angels either. Keeping places clean and adopting sustainable practices is the responsibility of all - authorities, local businesses, visitors/tourists. The directive to keep things clean and undamaged shouldn't be aimed at one nationality alone.

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Ah yes... Beautiful untouched Koh Lipe... :coffee1:

F07B7629-EE73-4B1B-9FA1-204A1376175B.jpeg

E6F1ECFE-47DF-4119-8239-39EE62B1F4CF.jpeg

Exactly how I remember Koh Lipe on my visit a few years ago. So sad, and they collect national park fees from visitors as well. Thailand at it's worst!

Thai people trash Thailand.  Rubbish everywhere and anywhere.
fly tipping in any empty site.
some neighbours put all trash in the empty plot next door to thier own home????
beggers belief.

IMG_20180220_144518.jpg

Its never their fault, always someone else, they do a great job of trashing their own doorstep.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Someone should also tell Thais. This morning I followed a guy on a motorcycle out of my village. He was drinking orange juice from a plastic bottle which he threw on the roadside when he finished it. Pot, kettle, black.

Archived