"Leaning Power Pole of Pattaya" is no more as authorities shamed into action

webfact

"Leaning Power Pole of Pattaya" is no more as authorities shamed into action

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

The power of social media has brought an end to what was satirically referred to as one of Pattaya's tourist attractions.

Despite leaning for dozens of years the problem of a power pole and wires attached to it in Soi Bua Khao will be over today.

Following media reports last week the provincial electrical authority and other agencies were in the area in front of Tree Town market yesterday.

A new pole has been erected to accommodate the large number of wires.

And today the "Leaning Power Pole of Pattaya" is expected to be removed for good.

CAT Telecom engineer Surachai Samerwong told Sophon Cable TV that the pole would never have fallen over - unless a large vehicle collided with it and snapped it.

But over a long period of time the wires and environmental conditions had conspired to slowly pull the pole into a leaning position, said Surachai.

Many people had worried that the pole could collapse causing injury though it also became a bit of a tourist attraction with visitors snapping pictures of an unusual bit of "Amazing Thailand".

Commenting on the Facebook story poster Somboon Sitsingchai said: "If it hadn't been reported by the media nothing would have been done".

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-20

7 minutes ago, Somchai Logic said:

Should start a travel website highlighting the worst poles in Pattaya. Soon they may all be sorted out. Either that or tell the indigenous there is good money in copper, this will resolve multiple issues. Remove the excess cables and many Darwin award candidates :)

...and attract more families to the already overcrowded family resort? Though, in reality, what family doesn't want to see a leaning power pole!

Absolutely disgusting. Thai authorities ONLY act when it becomes international. They could not give a rats arse about safety! and yet ISO 18001 is adorned on many factories here, What a joke! For those that do not understand ISO 18001 look it up>>>>

https://www.certificationeurope.com/certification/ohsas-18001-occupational-health-and-safety-management/

Years ago, the daily report of a railway signal box mentioned that a big lamp pole was starting to lean.

Following daily reports mentioned the lamp post leaning more and more.

Last mention of the leaning read: lamp post not leaning any more, now flat on the ground, lamp reflector broken.

This leaning pole reminds me of this story.

Looks like the new light poles they recently installed on a rural highway in our amphur.  Obviously the guys installing them don't know what a level is or how to use one.  I just shake my head.  Obviously no pride of workmenship around here.  I wonder what the Thai equivalent is for the phrase: "Good enough for government work?"  :thumbsup:

Just so happens i was on "Soi Blue Cow" (well I cannot spell it either :smile:) when the job was being done......

Do please observe that all Health and Safety rules were being followed! 

Apologies for the poor photography, by the way!

IMG_20180220_103632.jpg

IMG_20180220_103649.jpg

IMG_20180220_103730.jpg

On 20/02/2018 at 9:55 AM, webfact said:

vehicle collided with it and snapped it.

one did outside our moobaan & the pole leans precariously over a security post and a Dutch guy's house.  That was a year ago.  Elec board say they can't replace it till the owners of all the wires have been traced & removed!  Or a security guard is crushed to death.  The Dutch guy's house is of no consequence.

One night, several years ago, I watched a large delivery truck make its way down the street.  A man was standing on the roof of the truck and lifting up wires as the truck went.  It was a slow process, and sure looked very dangerous as well as disruptive.  I don't know if he made it all the way down to Pattaya Klang.  I was pretty sure there was going to be a stretch of road or two where he just wouldn't fit.

On 2/20/2018 at 3:03 PM, AWillOz said:

why didn't they just schedule the street to go underground? isn't that the immediate plan for thailand?????

Please don't do that at least until I leave LOL. That would cost money for starters and we'll end up paying for it in our services. Secondly, if a line goes out, they'll never find it and have to dig up the whole street again. This is not to mention the actual digging up of all the streets to put them underground. Imagine the chaos in narrow streets like Soi Buakhao.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Just remove and terminate the wires and then see who comes and complains about lack of power or cable or whatever else they got running together up there.  I bet 50% of the services are not properly distributed, billed, paid for, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the lines are no longer active - from old services that no longer exist.

Archived