The Real Reasons Expats Decided Thailand (And What They Think Now)

webfact

First of all, I was fed up having to pay high taxes in Europe only to see the b@$tards who run the place handing it out to every Tom, Dick and Harry who was either too lazy to get a job or felt that it was the syate's responsibility to take care of 'em. Here, I pay 7% monthly and annually I pay approximately ฿5,000 for my health insurance (in addition to what my employer pays). 

Secondly, I had had enough cold winters to last me a life time so I wanted to spend the latter half of my life in a warm climate. I love the sun! Can't get enough of it! 

Finally, I knew a woman here to I had met a few years prior to moving here. She helped me a lot in the first few years - I'm not sure I would have made it without her. Now, 9 years later, happily settled with her and our lovely little son. 

So I suppose I fall into the weather, money and woman categories. 

On the flip side, I miss the changing of the seasons in the northern hemisphere (I know this slightly contradicts what I wrote above), a good pint of Guinness, a really good loaf of bread, proper sandwiches, the rule of law, decent conversations with like-minded people.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

OTHER. Most of other in my opinion are those who try to escape the routines and the mundanes of their everyday lives back in their own countries.

For some Thailand may open new doors of happiness and for many others they find Thailand is not all it`s cracked up to be and end up in a kind of mental and emotional turmoil. All that they believed would happen, meeting great new people, forming wonderful relationships with women and living an exciting and thrilling lifestyles hasn`t materilalised. Sometimes they discover that Thailand is a lot more expensive then they first thought it would be and life becomes a budgeted boring existence for them.

The number one reason why westerners decide to stay in Thailand is escapism, for some it pays off and for many others it doesn`t.

the mundanes of their everyday lives back in their own countries.

My life back in my own country was anything but mundane, but I couldn't save anything on the pittance they paid me, so I followed the money.

For some Thailand may open new doors of happiness and for many others they find Thailand is not all it`s cracked up to be and end up in a kind of mental and emotional turmoil. All that they believed would happen, meeting great new people, forming wonderful relationships with women and living an exciting and thrilling lifestyles hasn`t materilalised.

Thailand did indeed open up a door of "happiness" for me, and it was everything I hoped it would be. Met lots of new people, and no emotional turmoil at all. Had relationships with lots of nice women, and lived a very exciting and thrilling lifestyle. Then I messed up a great thing and got married, but still like it better here as can afford a far better standard of living than back home.

Sometimes they discover that Thailand is a lot more expensive then they first thought it would be and life becomes a budgeted boring existence for them.

Thailand is as cheap as, unless one wants a new woman every night or expects to live like a prince.

I may not be able to live the life of Riley, but it's hardly boring.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sometimes they discover that Thailand is a lot more expensive then they first thought it would be and life becomes a budgeted boring existence for them.

Thailand is as cheap as, unless one wants a new woman every night or expects to live like a prince.

I may not be able to live the life of Riley, but it's hardly boring.

Women are always expensive, I've never found one in any country that actually pays her own way.

Usually they pretend to contribute, then have a baby or two, then take, take, take.

The Thai women are more honest, they never pretend to contribute anything.

If they earn any money, it's all spent on themselves and their lazy family.

Living in Thailand without a woman is really cheap.

If you can resist the cheap Thai women.

It's warm and dry, I can go cycling every morning.

Then laze around the rest of the day drinking beer.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Women are always expensive, I've never found one in any country that actually pays her own way.

Usually they pretend to contribute, then have a baby or two, then take, take, take.

There you go again, generalising a whole global gender based on your poor choices... and then Top it up with further generalisation !!! 

You consider a woman who gives birth to and nurtures your child as ‘take take take’ ??? 

I’m sure many women would prefer to work while the male stays at home... however, earning potential limits this especially in cross cultural marriages between Westerners and Thai women. 

That said, while I’m sure there are scores of lazy women out there, there are also scores of hard working women who after children have gone back to their careers...  I can attest to that, I’ve witnessed both in friends Wives (the career women and stay at home wife). It not so clear cut and negative as your bias suggests. 

Edited by richard_smith237

19 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

It's warm and dry, I can go cycling every morning.

Then laze around the rest of the day drinking beer.

You`re spot on as usual, MaeJo. Knowing it`s going to cost you, is the only predictable assumptions we can make about Thai women.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, while I’m sure there are scores of lazy women out there, there are also scores of hard working women who after children have gone back to their careers...  I can attest to that, I’ve witnessed both in friends Wives (the career women and stay at home wife). It not so clear cut and negative as your bias suggests. 

Yeah, it is.

Just ask how much he paid towards the house, and how much she paid towards the house.

She would have paid a fraction (but I don't earn much) or nothing.

She will always have some excuse .............. and they always marry up.

A 50/50 financial split in any household only happens in men's wildest dreams.

(Or their silliest delusions)

Easy to settle,

Richard, what is you and your misses financial contributions to your joint housing cost.

I'm betting 100% from you (for whatever reason).

Oh sure, there will be an excuse, medical bills for sick parent, family in debt, she is  still studying, Thais don't earn much, someone needs to care for the kids ........... etc.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yeah, it is.

Just ask how much he paid towards the house, and how much she paid towards the house.

Easy to settle,

Richard, what is you and your misses financial contributions to your joint housing cost.

Nope... we sold our property and have rented in central Bkk for the last 6 months... 

I’m yet to pay any of the rent which has all come from my Wife’s new business - she’s been working very hard.

But... I understand your point, it’s just not correct for everyone and not quite as ‘take take take’ as your comments suggest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope... we sold our property and have rented in central Bkk for the last 6 months... 

Who originally paid for 'our property'?

50/50?

Although I'm SERIOUSLY impressed, 6 months free housing for you (even if it was a claw back), that's a win I've never managed!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m yet to pay any of the rent which has all come from my Wife’s new business - she’s been working very hard.

But... I understand your point, it’s just not correct for everyone and not quite as ‘take take take’ as your comments suggest.

What do you mean by; our property?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

What do you mean by; our property?

Given the direction this thread has taken I can understand how some may find difficulty in understanding a shared possession for which both parties [Husband and Wife] have contributed. 

Our Condo: The Condo we bought when we got married....  it was 'ours' not mine and not my Wife's

Her parents gave us a lump sum towards it after which point I paid the most of mortgage up until our son was born and my Wife was no longer working after which time I paid all the mortgage. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Her parents gave us a lump sum towards it after which point I paid the most of mortgage up until our son was born and my Wife was no longer working after which time I paid all the mortgage. 

No contribution from her then (Dad's 10% Vs your 90%).

But I'm still impressed with 6 months free rent, that doesn't usually happen.

Anyway, as you said, you understand my point.

Which is the woman doesn't contribute to the marital housing expense (in any significant way).

This is entirely normal female behaviour, take, take, take.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

No contribution from her then (Dad's money doesn't count).

But I'm still impressed with 6 months free rent, that doesn't usually happen.

Anyway, as you said, you understand my point.

Which is the woman doesn't contribute to the marital housing expense (in any significant way).

You're going to love this then... The Inlaws business is both her Mothers and her Fathers... (I think everything is actually in MIL's name !)...  

After selling 'our' property for a similar amount to purchase price it only cost us 'interest' - which you could consider very cheap rent. I wouldn't have been able to get a mortgage here unless it was in my Wife's name....  she took the financial risk... once all balanced out 'we' ended up with significant savings over rent but ultimately the property became a burden after it took two years to sell.

I have a number of friends here in Bangkok who's Wives also contribute to levels which it appears would surprise you (Thai/Western, Western/Western and Thai/Thai relationships).

As I wrote, there is plenty of negative bias on these topics, some of it unfair, much of borne of a lack of experience of 'the other side' or perhaps of poor personal experience muddying the waters. 

• Like 1

I decided to move to Thailand to take care of my aging mother in law, and because I was tired of working a stressful job, and my military pension is more than adequate to live very comfortably in rural Thailand (Buriram). I am 54 years old and have been here a year. Loving life, wish I had done it sooner.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn't have been able to get a mortgage here unless it was in my Wife's name....  she took the financial risk...

#MeeToo.

My wife took out a mortgage, I paid the deposit (no dad around) and the repayments.

(But that wasn't about me not being able to pay for a house, that was about me not trusting my wife with my money)

But 'my wife' won't be selling 'our house' to finance 'her business'.

(You see, I do understand shared possessions, what's mine is hers, and what's hers is her own)

Not until after the divorce, anyways.

Thanks Richard, enjoyed the discussion, you're a cut above most TV posters IMHO, respect.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're going to love this then... The Inlaws business is both her Mothers and her Fathers... (I think everything is actually in MIL's name !)...  

After selling 'our' property for a similar amount to purchase price it only cost us 'interest' - which you could consider very cheap rent. I wouldn't have been able to get a mortgage here unless it was in my Wife's name....  she took the financial risk... once all balanced out 'we' ended up with significant savings over rent but ultimately the property became a burden after it took two years to sell.

I have a number of friends here in Bangkok who's Wives also contribute to levels which it appears would surprise you (Thai/Western, Western/Western and Thai/Thai relationships).

As I wrote, there is plenty of negative bias on these topics, some of it unfair, much of borne of a lack of experience of 'the other side' or perhaps of poor personal experience muddying the waters. 

She took the financial risk by placing the mortgage in her name. IN NAME. If defaulted on the payments and the home become repossessed, the bank just takes back the property and Thai wifey is no worse off than when she first started. Every which way the Farlang loses. Names are irrelevant, it`s simple mathematics.

• Like 1

Got sent here by company 20 years ago

met wife  got nice house land beautiful location 

drawbacks, food, IMHO is lousy compared to Indian, Middle eastern, and  even Uk ,i just dont like it

was used to heat but dessert heat humidity here stinks

oh beer is disgusting

Any way  i travel a fair bit so no real hardship ...ok until pension  age them move back to Uk

Edited by poohy

11 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yeah, it is.

Easy to settle,

Oh sure, there will be an excuse, medical bills for sick parent, family in debt, she is  still studying, Thais don't earn much, someone needs to care for the kids ........... etc.

I enjoy reading a lot of your posts, but ones like this really are so untrue. You must have an extremely clouded judgement of Thai women. 

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

AWALT!

I had to Google that acronym :sleepy:

I agree, that no matter where you are, as a male you will be 99% of the time paying more in some way or another. That is just how life is. 

Here in Thailand though, not everyone is paying 100% of everything if they have a Thai GF or wife. Many certainly will be, but a hell of a lot definitely are not. You seem to tar everyone with the same brush. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Here in Thailand though, not everyone is paying 100% of everything if they have a Thai GF or wife. Many certainly will be, but a hell of a lot definitely are not. You seem to tar everyone with the same brush. 

That's because AWALT!

10 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

As far as lazing around all day drinking beer, I can't think of anything more revolting frankly.

I'm cycling between 100-150Km every week (at the moment), the rest of the time I'm lazing around drinking beer, reading books, watching TV.

At 62, I'm not really sure what you think I should be doing all day? Constructive suggestions are always welcome.

Trying to remember what my parents/grandparents were doing  at this time in their life ........ mostly being dead I recall.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm cycling between 100-150Km every week (at the moment), the rest of the time I'm lazing around drinking beer, reading books, watching TV.

At 62, I'm not really sure what you think I should be doing all day?

I notice you conveniently sidestepped the rest of my post as it doesn't fit in with your worldview of Thai women, or women in general.

And it was you that implied you drink beer all day after cycling in the morning, not me. You can do whatever you want, I just can't think of anything I'd rather do less than consume alcohol all afternoon and evening, every day of the week.

Edited by Mark1066

4 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I notice you conveniently sidestepped the rest of my post as it doesn't fit in with your worldview of Thai women, or women in general.

I sidestepped the rest of your post as you aren't a credible poster.

Unlike Richard_Smith, who I may disagree with, but at the same time can respect.

And BobbyL, with whom I also often disagree. 

Maybe a reduction in issuing personal insults, would raise your credibility?

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

She took the financial risk by placing the mortgage in her name. IN NAME. If defaulted on the payments and the home become repossessed, the bank just takes back the property and Thai wifey is no worse off than when she first started. Every which way the Farlang loses. Names are irrelevant, it`s simple mathematics.

It seems I am unable to convince you that not all women are lazy blood-sucking money grabbers.... even with a personal example...  it seems your opinions have become so tarnished and biased by poor experiences you've lost the capacity to see anything else - it comes across as being quite bitter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I sidestepped the rest of your post as you aren't a credible poster.

Unlike Richard_Smith, who I may disagree with, but at the same time can respect.

Maybe a reduction in issuing personal insults, would raise your credibility?

I've seen quite a lot of your posts and I think you are one of the most revolting people I have ever come across, in real life or online, hence the personal insults (I mean that quite sincerely, I'm not trying to start a flame war). It's funny that you don't mind mass personal insults aimed at Thai women though...hypocrisy and misogyny all rolled into one, what a winner you are. As far as my credibility is concerned, your opinion is of no value whatsoever. It's quite obvious you don't wish to address my points because they disprove your ridiculous notion of what women are and how they behave.

Edited by Mark1066

54 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

...As far as lazing around all day drinking beer, I can't think of anything more revolting frankly.

"... the rest of the day",  not all day.

I like to sit outside the pub or coffee shop and drink beer (or cider) after a long bike ride.  

Sometimes we'll look at pretty girls walking past, or comment on people's parking efforts; for a while at the start sometimes we talk about work, but mostly its just drinking cider (or beer, if I'm on my own, as I don't suffer from gout).

SC

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

"... the rest of the day",  not all day.

I like to sit outside the pub or coffee shop and drink beer (or cider) after a long bike ride.  

Sometimes we'll look at pretty girls walking past, or comment on people's parking efforts; for a while at the start sometimes we talk about work, but mostly its just drinking cider (or beer, if I'm on my own, as I don't suffer from gout).

SC

All day or the rest of the day - makes very little difference to me. I'd really dislike drinking from lunchtime until bedtime every day. However, the alcoholic intake of the poster to whom you are referring would seem to be the least of his worries.

Edited by Mark1066