Filthy beaches driving all the tourists away in Rayong

webfact

The old Thai's were in the habit of tossing trash anywhere they wanted. However back then most items were wrapped in banana leaf or paper.  Unfortunately they never adjusted to plastic.  Another issue is the companies hired to get rid of the trash. Koh Chang for example years ago hired a company who would take the island trash a few miles away and dump it at sea. It was cheaper than bringing it to the mainland to be trucked to a dump. I don't know if that still happens but I wouldn't rules it out.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, smew said:

Thais in respect to cleanliness outside of their own premises is rare they simply don’t care, if follow a motorbike or a car for a long tome sooner or later a garbage is thrown out, which finds its way to the seas with the rain run-off. Pigs on human legs !

To be fair, not all Thais do it and there are plenty of foreigners who throw their crap away wherever they want. 

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Just goes to show this whole smoking ban because of polluting beaches is complete and absolute nonsense from the underdeveloped brains of children. 

Why?  There are lots of cigarette butts on the beaches.  The authorities don't want them there so ban smoking on beaches.  Seems sensible to me.  Same like national parks have banned foam.  Same like the plastic on the top of water bottles is being phased out.  Thailand is doing something about its rubbish problem, but the doomsayers on TV don't want to recognise it as that would spoil their narrative.

5 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

I live in the beautiful area of Khao Yai. I ride several KM each week, I force my self not to look down at the sides of the road, garbage everywhere.

Not to throw garbage on the ground takes a certain maturity level which many Thai's do not possess! 

I have a similar experience in southern Prachuap KhiriKhan province. The most depressing day of the year, from an environmental point of view, is the Queen's birthday when the the villagers cut the long grass beside the roads and reveal all the garbage that has been tossed there over the preceding twelve months.

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Been there last week and it's really quite disgusting as there are Hypodermic Needles among the trash as well, definite threat to Tourist's health......

088.JPG

085.JPG

send it to Prayut he can make a visit and praise the great works achieved. This is Pattaya world class lie. City Hall has authorised rubbish dumps roadside 300 meters from coastal paradise lol. They are decades begin and simply don't care 

45 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Why?  There are lots of cigarette butts on the beaches.  The authorities don't want them there so ban smoking on beaches.  Seems sensible to me.  Same like national parks have banned foam.  Same like the plastic on the top of water bottles is being phased out.  Thailand is doing something about its rubbish problem, but the doomsayers on TV don't want to recognise it as that would spoil their narrative.

You are joking aren't you? Reading your post we could be forgiven for thinking you're serious. 

Cigarette butts and the shrink seals on bottles are a so incredibly minuscule component of the utterly disgusting trash problem in Thailand. 

The garbage problem needs to be tackled at a national level. But that would require any money allocated to the issue being used productively rather than ending up in the pockets of corrupt officials. So in short Thailand will continue to rot in its own waste. 

Until today, the trash along beach road in Jomtien beach was horrendous, I will post my pictures when I can transfer them from my old camera to my old tablet. The sois from 1 to 30 still have lots of trash, and I do hope the garbage department gets to them soon as there are lots of rats around now, due to the stink of all the garbage. Disgusting, and I still think the head of the garbage department needs to be fired.

Geezer

I just moved to Rayong province, looking right out over a beach. I seen people cleaning it up and joked to "she who must be obeyed" that it was nice of them to clean it up for me. "...she said..."but do you see where they are putting it"?

Would you believe where they were putting it......they were digging two holes in the sand and burying the trash in them. ( have pics,).

1 hour ago, Crustyhk said:

Cigarette butts and the shrink seals on bottles are a so incredibly minuscule component of the utterly disgusting trash problem in Thailand. 

They aren't miniscule.  They cover beaches and inland areas.  What do you suggest they do, ban plastic bottles?

19 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

They aren't miniscule.  They cover beaches and inland areas.  What do you suggest they do, ban plastic bottles?

YES! 

Compared to the overall garbage problem they are insignificant. 

If the water out of the taps was fit for human consumption instead of being contaminated with human waste bottle usage would automatically decline. Use glass bottles and set up a decent refund scheme as glass is infinitely recyclable. 

Some years ago, having acquired a new property, I hired some of the local kids to clear up all the trash in the garden. They made a fine job of it. When I checked the whereabouts of the rubbish, they had thrown it over the wall into the adjoining property.

Total lack of education, forethought, inconsideration and respect for others!

13 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Some years ago, having acquired a new property, I hired some of the local kids to clear up all the trash in the garden. They made a fine job of it. When I checked the whereabouts of the rubbish, they had thrown it over the wall into the adjoining property.

The school's are trying to press things in these kids. But it doesn't work like that. We can experience it every day in different situations. The lack of knowledge, because only copying from each other doesn't make one understand a subject, or a language. And so it goes...........................:shock1:

18 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Did they get a tip? 

Only 50 years ago all garbage was orfganic matters, easy biodegradable at Thailand. The switched very fast, for the western lifestyle  Wide use of plastics. Their mind need to change about to handle the new type of garbage. This is not so fast. The white people of Europe, also was a long period to make the cleaner way of life.

I've found some scary stuff on Thai beaches: a few syringes with needles; some medicines; lots of dog poop; many broken bottles. And all within a few meters of where children play and the parents sit and stuff their faces with seafood washed down with alcohol.

I lived in Rayong for six years. A couple of times a year the big companies had beach cleaning days at Mae Rhum Peung. The only trouble was that they gave out free food and various other little gifts before the cleanup started. After they had their fill most just got back in their cars and drove off. Where they were set up was usually the cleanest parts of the beach. Total waste of time. Cheers 

On 2/21/2018 at 8:04 AM, Damrongsak said:

A successful brain transplant assumes that you have a worthy donor to start with.  When is that going to happen? 

Many living donors around though, most of them drive minivans

22 hours ago, Crustyhk said:

YES! 

Compared to the overall garbage problem they are insignificant. 

If the water out of the taps was fit for human consumption instead of being contaminated with human waste bottle usage would automatically decline. Use glass bottles and set up a decent refund scheme as glass is infinitely recyclable. 

As one who stepped on a broken glass bottle when I was a kid and couldn't walk on that foot for a month, glass bottles anywhere near bare-foot people are not a good idea.  And flip-flops are as good as bare feet for protection from broken glass.  Many beaches and pools in the USA banned them decades ago.  

Plus, I think you'll find that many glass bottle refund schemes are actually just a way to get people to turn in their trash to get the deposit back.  Lots of the bottles are never recycled, but when you pay $0.05-0.15 per bottle for a deposit, they usually don't end up on the side of the road for long. 

They do the same with cans back home, and there's no reason it wouldn't work for plastic bottles.  Well, no reason other than lack of political will.

Archived