Filthy beaches driving all the tourists away in Rayong

webfact

19 hours ago, bogozy said:

Only 50 years ago all garbage was orfganic matters, easy biodegradable at Thailand. The switched very fast, for the western lifestyle  Wide use of plastics. Their mind need to change about to handle the new type of garbage. This is not so fast. The white people of Europe, also was a long period to make the cleaner way of life.

Yep. Also Thailand is pretty much Plastic Central SE Asia, with the large-scale manufacturing of plastics, PVC, acetates, and the like in this region. When you consider that mega-corps like CP (own 7/11, and vast shares in the industrial sector) has vested interests in production of this material, there isn't a massive onus on limiting usage..

There is a large rise in Jellyfish around Thailand's coastlines in recent years. Their natural predators (Turtles, sharks, Tuna, other fish) are affected by plastic pollution (plastic bags mistaken for actual jellyfish, and eaten with fatal results), and over-fishing. When tourism starts getting affected, something might happen. In the meantime, take your own shopping bags into 7/11's and supermarkets.. (The look on their face is priceless), and make a small difference. Might catch on.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/02/2018 at 10:04 AM, Damrongsak said:

A successful brain transplant assumes that you have a worthy donor to start with.  When is that going to happen? 

Good point. Well in Thailand that would simple be what’s known as a vicious circle. I guess we would have to wait for stem cell research to catch up so they could grow them first.

This isn't a isolated case as we all know in Thailand or other Asian countries for thay matter.Reports this week from the island of Bali show tons of rubbish being washed onto the main tourist beach's and even after cleaning returning the very next day...in short looked disgusting!Went for a beach run in Lamai Beach Samui recently up to the far end near to the bridge ..was shocked by the amount of rubbish there being openly washed out to sea where the sewerage pipe is..If only the tourists knew what  they were swimming in oblivious to what was happening just two clicks from their perceived island paradise!

On 21/02/2018 at 7:46 AM, bikerlou47 said:

I live in the beautiful area of Khao Yai. I ride several KM each week, I force my self not to look down at the sides of the road, garbage everywhere.

Not to throw garbage on the ground takes a certain maturity level which many Thai's do not possess! 

I see your point of view.

20180223_103711.jpg

On 2/21/2018 at 8:12 AM, Crustyhk said:

YES! 

Compared to the overall garbage problem they are insignificant. 

If the water out of the taps was fit for human consumption instead of being contaminated with human waste bottle usage would automatically decline. Use glass bottles and set up a decent refund scheme as glass is infinitely recyclable. 

Thailand is at least a generation away from reducing plastic bottle usage.  Only first world countries have water that's drinkable out of the tap.  Thailand is not anywhere near a first world country yet.  You have to do what is realistically possible first, which Thailand is doing.

16 hours ago, marquis22 said:

I see your point of view.

20180223_103711.jpg

Yep. Nothing like going on a bicycle ride and perusing the tonnes of garbage tossed willy-nilly out of cars along the roadside.

The ubiquitous plastic bag stuck in a tree or bush seems to be Thailand's "National Flower". plastic-bag-tangled-in-hedge-ringstead-b

We had a litter problem in Australia back in the 60's until a massive "Don't Litter Australia " campaign beginning in the early 70's.  It was largely targeted at children, and it worked.  Thailand needs begin this in primary school - it may take a generation but I believe it would be successful.

Thailand is way cleaner than when I first went there 16 years ago, and also much better than nearby countries like Cambodia.  Many places just have no rubbish bins.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21.2.2018 at 2:27 AM, fullcave said:

Thais treat there country as a garbage bin only education can solve this attitude but the authorities seem to be preoccupied with other things. Ask a local to please not litter and they take it as an insult. 

However it's obvious  that most of this garbage in the video above is from the local fishing boats that fill the sea at night with lighting in search of squid and shrimp. They throw all their garbage in the sea and in fact even oil change is done directly in the water. The winds changed to on-shore last week in rayong so of course the fishing boats litter and garbage that has not sunk to the bottom blows into shore very quickly as apposed to being blown out to sea and people become alarmed. 

Most of the garbage in the video above comes from the mainland......................I doubt that fishermen has the time or the money to consume hundreds of bottles of softdrinks while throwing their flip-flops and Crocs overboard........................

22 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

Most of the garbage in the video above comes from the mainland......................I doubt that fishermen has the time or the money to consume hundreds of bottles of softdrinks while throwing their flip-flops and Crocs overboard........................

They have nothing but time on their hands! They clean thier boats out on the way to shore (what they didn't throw out after eating). But for sure the local beach goers and fishing enthusiast leave all their rubbish behind as well. I know for s fact as I live on this beach and often pick up trash in front of our place. Water and soda, red bull M150 bottles, lays bags plastic bags, flip flops. You name it. One long tail in front was even changing his oil on the beach. Oil going directly into the water! 

Archived