Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

By The Nation

9e3c87bd548f37bb0c05c6dcea19a2c3.jpeg

Many Lampang people became furious after seeing pictures of a foreign couple raising their feet over the head cushions of two seats aboard the Lampang-Chiang Mai train on Tuesday.

The photos were posted to a group of Lampang Facebook users at 10.23am on Tuesday. The Facebook user said the pictures were taken aboard the train that left Lampang at 10am.

“I have seen other people’s photos denouncing such bad manners and I did not expect to see such a thing with my own eyes,” the Facebook user said.

"Although we have different cultures, I think all countries teach their people to have good manners.”

Several Lampang Facebook users reacted angrily and called on train officials to reprimand tourists in such cases.

The Facebook user who posted the pictures said that the people who had been sitting in the two seats where the couple rested their feet had moved elsewhere.

He said train officials said nothing to the couple.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339365

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-21

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

maybe they were adopting the Shotgun Open Butterfly position?

What the heck!  I'd only be concerned;

if I contracted Foot in Mouth Disease from them... but would have only happened if I'd turned around in my seat in front, at a most inopportune time -  to cop a foot in the gob!

Anyhows; same rule for ALL, so I guess the next to happen is for the couple to sue the poster

8 minutes ago, z42 said:

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

8 minutes ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Never heard of that one. Which country would that be.?

This has nothing to do with not knowing local customs or cultural differences. Anyone with a basic level of decency and respect for others would know that you don't put up your feet like that.

And of course the Thai bashers are out in full force, braying like hyenas about examples of poor behavior from Thais they claim to bear witness to on a nigh on daily basis, as if that would somehow rid these foreigners of any guilt.

"Foreign couple steals candy from baby? Yeah, but what about that Thai guy who killed his girlfriend a year ago? Surely you need to stop reporting negative news about foreigners as long as there are Thai people behaving badly!"

That's a rather appalling and direct lack of consideration for others on public transport in any country.

In a country where it is so widely known, even by the majority of visitors that the 'feet thing' is a big no-no it's clearly worse.

This is a level of ignorance far beyond the innocence of naive travellers making a mistake.... it's a big <deleted> to anyone around them. 

I can understand people getting upset about this in any country, even more so in Thailand. 

Well, they at least took their shoes off before putting their feet up. Would same posters who were awfully upset by this degenerate behaviour now like to quote on the Thai cabbie masturbating all the way to Bangkok airport because he was excited about his falang woman passenger. And he admitted it.

2 hours ago, z42 said:

You have a bash at Thais and then disapprove if "this is just another op to bash the foreigners". Isn't hypocrisy just wonderful?

1 hour ago, agudbuk said:
1 hour ago, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

You do realise that I'm 105 yrs old!

I imagine this would be offensive in any country. Much more so here though.

I have seen this happen on a bus on a long late night drive. The Thai people put on quite a show of being offended, without actually letting the offenders know that they should put their feet down. It was 3, twenty something, blonde girls. After fifteen minutes or so finally they clued in. 

1 hour ago, claffey said:

"In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty".

Speak for yourself!

34 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Well, they at least took their shoes off before putting their feet up. Would same posters who were awfully upset by this degenerate behaviour now like to quote on the Thai cabbie masturbating all the way to Bangkok airport because he was excited about his falang woman passenger. And he admitted it.

What does a masturbating BKK taxi driver have to do with putting feet up on a train ?

Where is the connection ?

1 hour ago, agudbuk said:
1 hour ago, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

Great news. I will live to be 100.

When I am back in the west I am incapable of keeping my shoes on, I even left them outside the people's door. People are like "Just leave them on", but I say sorry, I just can't walk around in your house with my shoes on, I would be so embarrassed. They think I am weird, but what are they going to do about it.  My feet don't stink either.

2 hours ago, claffey said:

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

Where oh where is this imaginary country where it is considered bad manners to take your shoes off?

32 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You have a bash at Thais and then disapprove if "this is just another op to bash the foreigners". Isn't hypocrisy just wonderful?

Let's not forget the corrupted monks, police, people dumping babies into the trash, murders, rapes, robberies, gang beatings and assaults on both young and old.. but someone puts their feet up on a seat, look out!! How could we be so ignorant and insensitive!?

2 hours ago, tifino said:

maybe they were adopting the Shotgun Open Butterfly position?

What the heck!  I'd only be concerned;

if I contracted Foot in Mouth Disease from them... but would have only happened if I'd turned around in my seat in front, at a most inopportune time -  to cop a foot in the gob!

Anyhows; same rule for ALL, so I guess the next to happen is for the couple to sue the poster

Unless you have cloven feet, FMD shouldn't be a problem! :smile:

I see Thai putting their bare feet on other chairs in restaurants all the time.

They also like to put their feet under their butt while they sit in the skytrain or restaurants or airport lounges.

They even let their young baby walk on the buffet in Sizzlers.

I also see them change diapers on tables in the restaurant or kitchentable in a restaurant.

Or they bring loads of babies into Sizllers who cry nonstop and throw food around...you should see the floor after they're gone.

But of course this is their country and they can be as lowclass as they like.

Of course it is bad manners to plant your feet on top of a chair before you.

Got nothing to do with cultural feelings.

But may one wonder if there's is or will ever be a virtual "explosion" about the unbelievable uncouth  things Thai people can do in public?

Or is it only foreigners that are singled out?

Archived