Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

Excuse me, but putting feet up where other people put their heads is not acceptable anywhere.

However, why couldn't the people taking the photo have said to them that it isn't appropriate. Only if they hadn't removed their feet would it be appropriate to jump up and down.

Seems nanny stateism is creeping in even in LOS, when people complain that the officials ( which may have not even been aware ) didn't do something, while not being prepared to do anything themselves.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2018 at 12:45 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That's a rather appalling and direct lack of consideration for others on public transport in any country.

In a country where it is so widely known, even by the majority of visitors that the 'feet thing' is a big no-no it's clearly worse.

This is a level of ignorance far beyond the innocence of naive travellers making a mistake.... it's a big <deleted> to anyone around them. 

I can understand people getting upset about this in any country, even more so in Thailand. 

You get people doing it on aeroplanes. EK dollies didn't stop the guy either. He hadn't taken his shoes off. I didn't like it with or without shoes.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:03 AM, agudbuk said:
On 2/21/2018 at 10:48 AM, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

Yep.    Far out..

2 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Unless you confine yourself exclusively to your 'nicer area', you must have witnessed some of this behaviour at some point during your time in Thailand.

I have seen it, but I never see it in the office and rarely in the plant or in public. 

I travel a LOT every year....probably several hundred thousand miles and have had hands, feet, and just about every other kind of body part all over the back of my seat. Most of us already don’t enjoy the flight these days with smaller seats and packed plans (or trains). More and more often people think it’s their right to invade others space. 

People need to keep there damn feet on the ground....

On 2/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, z42 said:

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

100% right. The most hypocritical bread on the Planet...

On 2/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, z42 said:

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

clean up your own backyard before blaming others of the same

On 2018-02-21 at 4:30 AM, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

Do you know any country where it is ok to put their feet up. Yes its the staffs jobb also.  but how about parental guiding at first place..

On 2/21/2018 at 1:16 PM, jackdd said:

Just telling the tourists that this is considered impolite and asking them to take down their feet would have been too easy, better take a picture and post it on facebook

While I agree with your comment, remember that Thais will complain but not to a person's face but rather behind their back.  It was easier to take a picture and post it than to let the offenders know that what they were doing is considered offensive and not just to Thais.  However, they can easily explain their lack of verbal confrontation to the situation by simply saying, "I no Engrish."  Much easier to show how they believe in anti-cultural behaviour, Thainess, etc., by posting a picture anonymously.

bad manners may be .

what about all the locals never washing hands with soaps regardless of professions.

many still using water only to wash with left hand themselves in toilets.

always using fingers to eat food.

all the other bad manners never saying sorry please and thank you acting like thieves.

order please.

smiling is an excuse for asking and meaning a lot hidden.

in Chiang Mai I was there recently no where there is any soap available.

No ice cubes please water is too toxic.

5 hours ago, brd said:

bad manners may be .

what about all the locals never washing hands with soaps regardless of professions.

many still using water only to wash with left hand themselves in toilets.

always using fingers to eat food.

all the other bad manners never saying sorry please and thank you acting like thieves.

order please.

smiling is an excuse for asking and meaning a lot hidden.

in Chiang Mai I was there recently no where there is any soap available.

No ice cubes please water is too toxic.

You could not find soap in Chiang Mai? 

On 21/02/2018 at 12:37 PM, thaiguzzi said:

I thought all these backpacker types read the Lonely Planet type books before and during their hols. It states in all those books about SE Asia and feet and their positioning in Asian Buddhist culture.

Yep. When they get here maybe they forget about what they read and commit a cultural crime, hot pants and crop top in a temple or patting the head of the train passenger in front of them with their feet, yet nobody says anything to them. I'm sure these people assume that what they read in LP is complete BS. Thais just need to grow a pair and say something if they're really are so offended. When I committed a cultural crime in Malaysia I was told instantly, I apologised and didn't do it again. Lesson learnt. 

Of course I cannot agree with this young backpackers attitude but please please please, I could start a new topic easily every two minutes just about the THAI bad behavior. I really mean BAD BEHAVIOR. Much worse than this "feet on a seat" thing. Can we start a topic "Bad Thai Behavior" and see what amazing proof will come up?

Of course I cannot agree with this young backpackers attitude but please please please, I could start a new topic easily every two minutes just about the THAI bad behavior. I really mean BAD BEHAVIOR. Much worse than this "feet on a seat" thing. Can we start a topic "Bad Thai Behavior" and see what amazing proof will come up?

Because others behave poorly is not an excuse to behave poorly.

Archived