Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Thais should focus their anger on the babies and children that are being sold to peddle on the streets until all hours of the night.

Or many of the other disgusting things that are passed off as just normal around here.

If this is the biggest thing you have to complain about then you're having a pretty good day.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

I see Thai putting their bare feet on other chairs in restaurants all the time.

They also like to put their feet under their butt while they sit in the skytrain or restaurants or airport lounges.

They even let their young baby walk on the buffet in Sizzlers.

I also see them change diapers on tables in the restaurant or kitchentable in a restaurant.

Or they bring loads of babies into Sizllers who cry nonstop and throw food around...you should see the floor after they're gone.

But of course this is their country and they can be as lowclass as they like.

But they don't put their feet into a position right next to someone else's head! Maybe I've spent too much time in Thailand, but I completely understand why the Thais are so upset with this. Had I been on the train I probably would have gone over to them and told them what rude and ignorant <deleted> they were being.

Of course, if the transport authorities had any brains in their heads they would put a line all around the train (on the inside), and on the seats, with a sign saying (in English, Russian and Chinese)  "feet below this line, please." 

Just can't educate these Thais.

Just now, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Maybe the Thais should focus their anger on the babies and children that are being sold to peddle on the streets until all hours of the night.

Or many of the other disgusting things that are passed off as just normal around here.

If this is the biggest thing you have to complain about then you're having a pretty good day.

People are able to get annoyed about more than one thing 

1 hour ago, Myran said:

This has nothing to do with not knowing local customs or cultural differences. Anyone with a basic level of decency and respect for others would know that you don't put up your feet like that.

And of course the Thai bashers are out in full force, braying like hyenas about examples of poor behavior from Thais they claim to bear witness to on a nigh on daily basis, as if that would somehow rid these foreigners of any guilt.

"Foreign couple steals candy from baby? Yeah, but what about that Thai guy who killed his girlfriend a year ago? Surely you need to stop reporting negative news about foreigners as long as there are Thai people behaving badly!"

It's bad manners for sure. So is squatting with your feet on toilet seats, chairs and tables. Peeing, gobbing and picking the nose in public.

At least it's only a few farang guilty of being offensive.

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course, if the transport authorities had any brains in their heads they would put a line all around the train (on the inside), and on the seats, with a sign saying (in English, Russian and Chinese)  "feet below this line, please." 

Just can't educate these Thais.

Surely is the rude people that need education about polite behavior .

Or should there be numerous signs telling people what they should be doing ? 

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just telling the tourists that this is considered impolite and asking them to take down their feet would have been too easy, better take a picture and post it on facebook

They may have done this, in Thai... One suspects that language might be an issue in such matters :) 

Rather than focus on the obvious Thai issue with foot location shouldn't the issue here just be the complete lack of behavioral standards? 

These people are probably the same ones who put their feet up in a similar manner on planes - or worse they stick their feet on the tray tables ?

When did basic decent behaviour in public become something that needed enforcement with signs or requests to abstain? 

15 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

So outside Thailand this would be ok? 

in other countries the foot doesn't carry the same stigma.

Also in other countries if people are displeased, they tend to say somthing rather than going viral with their indignation.

Also, we are not talking about other countries, we are talking about thailand.

2 hours ago, agudbuk said:
2 hours ago, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

Was the research done by the Nose picking addicts association ???

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Surely is the rude people that need education about polite behavior .

Or should there be numerous signs telling people what they should be doing ? 

There are signs everywhere; don't smoke, don't discard rubbish, don't take clothes off on the beach, don't have sex in tuk-tuks, no nose-picking,,, etc... 

But I'm with the school-of-thought that reckons to make it a topic on TVForum and shame the bad-mannered dudes.

3 hours ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

what countries consider it rude to take off your shoes? name them,  bear in mind that most people who read thai visa have been to most countries in the world and are not  newbies! name one country.

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Was the research done by the Nose picking addicts association ???

Professor Pigeon has researched this but because the subject is so vast he trimmed it down to; 'ladies picking their nose during sexual intercourse.'

22 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

They may have done this, in Thai... One suspects that language might be an issue in such matters :) 

I think a basic task like "taking down the feet" is possible to be explained just by pointing if the language barrier is preventing them from talking.

While I love and respect this culture deeply, it certainly is one where doing anything and everything to avoid facing any problem head on is ingrained in every fiber of their being. Such a simple solution - one of the train officials politely points out the problem, or perhaps another passenger can do the same.

she was so infuriated she posted it all over FB rather than having a polite word with the young backpackers who i’m sure would have been apologetic and cooperative..... attention <deleted> out her xenophobia online

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived