Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

15 minutes ago, captspectre said:

what countries consider it rude to take off your shoes? name them,  bear in mind that most people who read thai visa have been to most countries in the world and are not  newbies! name one country.

Its a Asian thing! this shoeless lark

i would not want to see socks or barefoot  ladies in my house

Joking aside In western counties it would never cross my mind to either take off my shoes or request someone else too

In fact i used to request my girlfriends kept their stilettos on at all times:partytime2:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's a rather appalling and direct lack of consideration for others on public transport in any country.

In a country where it is so widely known, even by the majority of visitors that the 'feet thing' is a big no-no it's clearly worse.

This is a level of ignorance far beyond the innocence of naive travellers making a mistake.... it's a big <deleted> to anyone around them. 

I can understand people getting upset about this in any country, even more so in Thailand. 

Even better when its  on a plane, again like "parking where u  like" its  just   today's norm where its never  their fault, be it  Thailand or the UK, 

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

Its a Asian thing! this shoeless lark

i would not want to see socks or barefoot  ladies in my house

Joking aside In western counties it would never cross my mind to either take off my shoes or request someone else too

In fact i used to request my girlfriends kept their stilettos on at all times:partytime2:

Even up the scaffolding??

The poster could've just politely informed the couple that raising their feet like that is rude, and that is true in most Asian cultures. And the world would have two more persons who are better informed than some. Instead, the poster chose to do the cowardly thing like most high-horse riding keyboard-warriors - hide behind their phones and laptops and attack with angry remarks on social media. I am quite certain most travelers, when told, would be more than happy to comply with local culture and sensitivities. It's only truly rude when they ignore and continue to do what they do after bring told. And if it comes to that, then feel free to smack them on the head... hard.

Shows a complete lack of manners, probably a couple of Eurotrash backpackers. I've seen the same on planes but the crew were quick to point out that they weren't on a bus in a sh*thole country so put your feet down. I was the crew member. How would you like to be in the seats in front of these two pigs with a pair of smelly feet around your head? Disgusting. 

9 minutes ago, outsider said:

It's only truly rude when they ignore and continue to do what they do after bring told. 

Not true at all. 

I would expect most kids over the age of 10 to know better.

How can any self-respecting adult think that putting your feet up in that way is acceptable? It's just laziness / lack of respect. 

Anyone who thinks this is acceptable is either retarded, brought up by ignorance, or just plain dumb. It is incredibly rude and if someone did it to me, they would be asked to remove their feet. Just says to anyone with a grain of intelligence and respect in themselves, that these are extremely ignorant, arrogant people. Have some damn respect in someone else's country. And those who turn this around to bash Thai's,....what are you talking about ? This is about two ignorant foreigners with no brain cells...has nothing to do with any other deflective comment or childish remarks. Its about time the ignorant learned to behave accordingly and stop acting like spoiled kids who can do what they want.

3 hours ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

This is no misunderstanding it' not allowed or done in my country of origin, its rude, disgusting and I don't give a toss behaviour not a lack of  cultural understanding and they say Thais are uneducated LOL...

Or worse than your neighbors winding up the isaan music lick to a force 9 gale of sound thumping your walls for a weekend or parking their SUVs over your access gates and then pretending they cant find they keys since they were too lazy to move it! .. As previous responders its an issue of train employees enforcing good behavior on the train.

3 hours ago, agudbuk said:
3 hours ago, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

Oh no it's snot.

1 hour ago, captspectre said:

what countries consider it rude to take off your shoes? name them,  bear in mind that most people who read thai visa have been to most countries in the world and are not  newbies! name one country.

Mexico.  People really don't like you taking off your shoes in their houses.  Peace Corps Mexico trainees are always very surprised when they learn this in their cultural awareness training before being put in host families' homes.

3 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Mexico.  People really don't like you taking off your shoes in their houses.  Peace Corps Mexico trainees are always very surprised when they learn this in their cultural awareness training before being put in host families' homes.

keeps their dust and sand out of your sox

I travel on the train quite often between  Ayutthaya and Bangkok and see Thai with their feet on the seat in front of them, and throwing rubbish wherever they want, so if this is a cultural thing maybe you should tell the Thais about their own culture.

29 minutes ago, Hooliganzone said:

This is no misunderstanding it' not allowed or done in my country of origin, its rude, disgusting and I don't give a toss behaviour not a lack of  cultural understanding and they say Thais are uneducated LOL...

I could not agree more with you. :-) We think the same. Total ignorance and rudeness. No excuse at all. Plain arrogant and rude. Back to school to learn the basic steps in common respect and decency.

Just a propaganda post to create I'll will with foreigners. I ride the train with some regularity. Thais do this too when there is room. Maybe I should have photographed, along with topless men in town and those of all sexes relieving themselves along the roadside. Grow up. 

People will do what people need to do. No more no less. 

The majority of Thai people are wonderful people. But this is a deliberate attempt to distroy the feeling of kinship among all people. Sad to see this getting bandwidth

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Many Lampang people became furious after seeing pictures of a foreign couple raising their feet over the head

Doesn't look like a foreign couple, two foreign women IMHO.

Poor use of English, way more offensive to me.

PS.

As a white man I accept no blame or joint responsibility for the actions of white women, I came here to escape them, their bad manners, their obscene entitlement and their generally poor behaviour.

Why do silly people have to try and turn this round and bash Thai people. Firstly it is nothing to do with Thai people. It is someone quite rightfully, saying how rude and ignorant these two foreigners are.  I think they have that right when it is their country and their culture. Most of us would not like it at all. We are guests here. Grow up and act like it. And to be fair, often facebook posts are from Thai's condemning a Thai's behavior. This one happens to be about two ignorant foreigners. Sometimes I wonder at the human race's intelligence or lack of it.

4 hours ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

Rubbish, putting your feet on the seat in front like that, wether there are people sitting there or not, is rude  and disrespectful in any country. 

Brigante7. 

Archived