Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

What is the lack of cultural knowledge ?

I cannot think of any country where it is culturally acceptable to do  what they were doing, although I have seen Thais putting their feet on seats in trains restaurants etc

Thais have a habit of removing their shoes and then sitting cross-legged on public seating. I don't want to sit on a seat where someone has been wiping their sweaty dirty feet they just removed from years old Crocs or flip flops having trudged the streets, puddles, and gawd knows what. 

But someone sticking their feet up near other peoples' heads or faces is disgusting. Seen it on planes too. Some reprobate fat slug thought it would be good to stick his feet through the arm rest gap of the chairs in front, and rest them on my arm rest once! Moved'em quick though! 

Ignorance, lack of manners and indifference to others. 

7 hours ago, agudbuk said:
7 hours ago, PatOngo said:
I need to pick my nose while I think about this.

Recent research says that picking your nose and eating the contents enhanced the immune system and is good for your health.

Yea? Go for it ,,,,Not in My Place ,,,,,

isn't there a train guard that can step in and stop those disgusting people?? perhaps chuck 'em off the train at next stop?? 

this intolerable behaviour does nothing for the relationship between visitors and Thai people, they should be ashamed of their

bad behaviour 

6 hours ago, Thian said:

I see Thai putting their bare feet on other chairs in restaurants all the time.

They also like to put their feet under their butt while they sit in the skytrain or restaurants or airport lounges.

They even let their young baby walk on the buffet in Sizzlers.

I also see them change diapers on tables in the restaurant or kitchentable in a restaurant.

Or they bring loads of babies into Sizllers who cry nonstop and throw food around...you should see the floor after they're gone.

But of course this is their country and they can be as lowclass as they like.

I'm absolutely amazed-you eat at Sizzlers???

4 hours ago, captspectre said:

what countries consider it rude to take off your shoes? name them,  bear in mind that most people who read thai visa have been to most countries in the world and are not  newbies! name one country.

Wow that's a bit of a sweeping statement!

I'm sure you know that there are 194 countries in the world - as you yourself have no doubt visited most of them,  as you are quite likely one of the 'most' of those who read Thai Visa...

I never realised that the Thai Visa readership was such a well travelled bunch. Unless of course you mean that most of Thai Visa readers have been to  most countries in the world in a virtual sense - by watching travel shows on TV whilst sat on a barstool in Pattaya. That's a hypothesis I could perhaps believe...

The Thais are too kind, just too accommodating. If I were a Thai I would tell them to put their feet down if they fail to do so I will take a sharp pin or scissor to poke at their feet and see how they feel.

Yes, I will do that. No need to discuss any further whose culture is right whose country or who is wrong. Just poke till blood flows out that would be nice to watch and I will get someone to take a pictures and go viral so the whole world will know.

If you can't find sharp object just a stick will do just whack on the toes so they will be limping all day long. There is a cure for every sickness, this Farang sickness must be be given the right remedy. Don't agree? Why? Because you are Farang?

Those pesky farangs, another case of selective indignation towards farangs, just kindly ask them to remove their feet.

Thai people better should be angered about the road deaths, Prawits watches, pollution, corrupt police, army and government and ..... and ...and....

land of smiles 55555, the whole world laughs at Thailand. 

39 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm absolutely amazed-you eat at Sizzlers???

Not anymore, only in 1 branch but that's an hour through traffic so we don't go often..before we ate there weekly but also the new menu and prices are not worth it anymore, sure not if we sit in between nasty kids. 

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

Not anymore, only in 1 branch but that's an hour through traffic so we don't go often..before we ate there weekly but also the new menu and prices are not worth it anymore, sure not if we sit in between nasty kids. 

If I'm shopping at Central Festival, hungry and it's not too busy, I eat at Sizzler. I find the snobbish attitude towards it that some here display to be laughable really (not including you in that statement). The meat is better than many of the supposedly high-class eateries in Chiang Mai and when all's said and done, for what it is, which is just a reasonably priced place to eat in a shopping mall, it serves its purpose very well.

1 minute ago, Mark1066 said:

If I'm shopping at Central Festival, hungry and it's not too busy, I eat at Sizzler. I find the snobbish attitude towards it that some here display to be laughable really (not including you in that statement). The meat is better than many of the supposedly high-class eateries in Chiang Mai and when all's said and done, for what it is, which is just a reasonably priced place to eat in a shopping mall, it serves its purpose very well.

fair call

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Thais have a habit of removing their shoes and then sitting cross-legged on public seating. I don't want to sit on a seat where someone has been wiping their sweaty dirty feet they just removed from years old Crocs or flip flops having trudged the streets, puddles, and gawd knows what. 

But someone sticking their feet up near other peoples' heads or faces is disgusting. Seen it on planes too. Some reprobate fat slug thought it would be good to stick his feet through the arm rest gap of the chairs in front, and rest them on my arm rest once! Moved'em quick though! 

Ignorance, lack of manners and indifference to others. 

Totally agree forgot about the appalling behavior on planes

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

What is the lack of cultural knowledge ?

I cannot think of any country where it is culturally acceptable to do  what they were doing, although I have seen Thais putting their feet on seats in trains restaurants etc

Many idiots (mainly young adults, couldn't give a sh*t about authority types) still put their feet up on the opposite seat in trains in Melbourne Australia.

3 hours ago, milys said:

I agree that it doesn't look that good but people are not consequent about what they are getting angry about.

In this country there sure is a lot to be angry about for the common man.

Recently one high army official went to a famous national park when it was closed and demanded the park officials

to open it because he was going camping. This time he shot a tiger and previously he's been hunting deers, birds and other

animals. This is something that makes me far more angry than when some tourists with long legs stretch them out.

But the thais are just shrudding their shoulders because you can't fight money in this country which has been proved several times.

That is something to blow your steam off on Facebook.

Link please, to the "high army official" going camping and shooting a tiger.

Source?

11 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Many idiots (mainly young adults, couldn't give a sh*t about authority types) still put their feet up on the opposite seat in trains in Melbourne Australia.

Yes have seen it many times in Sydney on the trains not for a few years though as I no longer live there

I think it all comes down to how you were brought up or dragged up and as you say no respect for any sort of authority.

10 hours ago, z42 said:

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

Ahhh, the old someone else did something different defense. Sorry, we are talking here and now, if had been in the seats in front I wouldn’t have said a word, I would have just punched them in the face. If I was the employee in charge of the train I would have kicked them off at the next station.

11 hours ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

"a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand "

In Thailand, because in your country or any country, it is not impolite to be sprawled like that, legs up and feet on the headrest of another seat? 

IMHO It is an absolute lack of education everywhere. (No offence:smile:)

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think a basic task like "taking down the feet" is possible to be explained just by pointing if the language barrier is preventing them from talking.

The Thai tendency is to avoid direct confrontation so as to preserve surface harmony. Basically, Thais hate confrontation. It’s not so difficult to understand why they weren’t told to take their feet down and instead find themselves shamed indirectly on social media. Cultural lesson over for those that keep asking why a Thai simply didn’t intervene and give the two uncouth dozy mares a bollocking off.

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

I liked the australian chopped steak but last time the quality was much less than before.

Nothing wrong with their food though, but i don't order the expensive steaks since they are not worth the money. I know better places for real steak.

In the malls there's not much quality food, Sizzlers and the japanese are the only places i like to eat. Oh and Hachiban69 ramen.

I also like the deserts in the small mini Hoegaarden glasses...

Archived