Anger over 'bad manners' of foreign couple on train

webfact

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

I liked the australian chopped steak but last time the quality was much less than before.

Nothing wrong with their food though, but i don't order the expensive steaks since they are not worth the money. I know better places for real steak.

In the malls there's not much quality food, Sizzlers and the japanese are the only places i like to eat. Oh and Hachiban69 ramen.

I also like the deserts in the small mini Hoegaarden glasses...

I have found the quality of the imported cuts varies from time to time.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Myran said:

This has nothing to do with not knowing local customs or cultural differences. Anyone with a basic level of decency and respect for others would know that you don't put up your feet like that.

And of course the Thai bashers are out in full force, braying like hyenas about examples of poor behavior from Thais they claim to bear witness to on a nigh on daily basis, as if that would somehow rid these foreigners of any guilt.

"Foreign couple steals candy from baby? Yeah, but what about that Thai guy who killed his girlfriend a year ago? Surely you need to stop reporting negative news about foreigners as long as there are Thai people behaving badly!"

A basic level of  respect for others is rather much to ask from many posters here

12 hours ago, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

This is not cultural misunderstanding.  Putting ones feet on the back of seat in front of you would be a no-no anywhere.  Complete lack of proper behavior, decorum, etiquette, or whatever you want to call it anywhere in the world, even more so if people were sitting in the seat in front and had to move. Just plain slobs.

6 hours ago, Thian said:

Where they let the toddler walk on the buffet was opposite side of the road along patpong sala daeng iirc, in some mini mall there...

But if you wanna see crying kids ALL OVER the Sizzlers you go to Westgate, especially during the weekend....i won't go there anymore, never. They even bring babies from 6 months old who already cry when they enter the restaurant.

Last time there were 4 crying babies in that sizzlers, one was from a farang with thai wife...the wife walked in/out the restaurant all the time with that crying baby while mr farang could eat with the other kiddo's.

It totally ruined my steak so we left, i thanked the mother outside for ruining my dinner then she chased us while yelling with the baby on her arm....unbelievable what some farang marry to.

It's unbelievable what some 'farang' eat !!!!

I can guarantee that your steak was ruined well before a baby cried within audible range!

But to top it off... You complained directly to a Mother trying to console her crying infant that your dinner was ruined by her baby crying....  Not only are you a despicable person, you clearly come across as bitter, sour, and unlikable in the extreme... Shame on you :post-4641-1156693976:

It´s amazing to read how many childish comments all the TV-posters can make of a clear differens in culture.

Most people travel around the world for experiencing new cultures and have fun with partuing at the same time.
How would it be to have some knowledge and behave arroeding to culture, values and customs then? Or maybe that´s too much to ask for. Seems like some overgrown infants believes that anyway.

20 hours ago, z42 said:

Worse than a monk clouting an elderly foreign chap around the head, or families of Thais tossing their litter out of the window every 5 minutes. 

Some signs would help, but that way it would mean the Thais who sit with their legs across multiple seats would have to stop too, or is this just another op to bash the foreigners

Without a post there would be no post at all.

I see this all the time on trains, Thais do this, heaps of people do it but Facebook will always attract the do gooders

9 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Yes have seen it many times in Sydney on the trains not for a few years though as I no longer live there

I think it all comes down to how you were brought up or dragged up and as you say no respect for any sort of authority.

' how you were brought up or dragged up '   doesn't matter ....  everyone knows right from wrong ...  !

9 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Many idiots (mainly young adults, couldn't give a sh*t about authority types) still put their feet up on the opposite seat in trains in Melbourne Australia.

not only Syd & Mel, seen it in Brisbane last year ....  they don't give a hoot, they have no respect, they were dragged up in life.....  so much scum in Auss now.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

not only Syd & Mel, seen it in Brisbane last year ....  they don't give a hoot, they have no respect, they were dragged up in life.....  so much scum in Auss now.

Steve there is scum all over the world Try London mate  And worse still Berlin where the nazi movement amongst the young ones is  starting to grow again Except this time its not the Jews its the Muslims. Thank god Thailand is 20 years behind the western world still. You dont see to many Thais with there hair shaven off and the swat sticker tattooed  in there head Even though the Pm here might be wearing a wig to hide his swat sticker 

16 hours ago, JTXR said:

Mexico.  People really don't like you taking off your shoes in their houses.  Peace Corps Mexico trainees are always very surprised when they learn this in their cultural awareness training before being put in host families' homes.

In Ireland too it would be considered rude to assume you can take off shoes in someone elses house. You would need to ask permission from your host to do so. This is because feet in Ireland, in the past, may have been wet due to the wet climate etc... 

12 hours ago, Shadychris said:

Wow that's a bit of a sweeping statement!

I'm sure you know that there are 194 countries in the world - as you yourself have no doubt visited most of them,  as you are quite likely one of the 'most' of those who read Thai Visa...

I never realised that the Thai Visa readership was such a well travelled bunch. Unless of course you mean that most of Thai Visa readers have been to  most countries in the world in a virtual sense - by watching travel shows on TV whilst sat on a barstool in Pattaya. That's a hypothesis I could perhaps believe...

perhaps the term "well traveled" was a bit much, but most of the people who read thai visa have at least one country under their belt and a lot of them myself included have traveled around asia and europe for awhile. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's unbelievable what some 'farang' eat !!!!

I can guarantee that your steak was ruined well before a baby cried within audible range!

But to top it off... You complained directly to a Mother trying to console her crying infant that your dinner was ruined by her baby crying....  Not only are you a despicable person, you clearly come across as bitter, sour, and unlikable in the extreme... Shame on you :post-4641-1156693976:

So you think it's okay to bring a loud crying baby into a restaurant like Sizllers where steaks of 1000 baht are sold.

No words for you matey, solly.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Just have the salad bar and you can get some fairly healthy food for about the same price as eating at Mcd's.

I also like the porkloin but they take it off the menu now and then. If there's no porkloin or chopped steak i don't want to eat there....also not when there are babies.

21 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Well, they at least took their shoes off before putting their feet up. Would same posters who were awfully upset by this degenerate behaviour now like to quote on the Thai cabbie masturbating all the way to Bangkok airport because he was excited about his falang woman passenger. And he admitted it.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

the article said the people in front moved.  That is BS if the people moved and didn't ask the people to put their feet down or the people refused to put their feet down.  Feet up is gross, but I certainly have seen most Thais take their shoes or sandals off as soon as they sit down and put their feet on seat cushions, between the seats on the arm rests in front of them, cross their legs and put their feet close to me or the other person next to them, etc

On 2/21/2018 at 10:30 AM, claffey said:

It is extremely rude, disgusting and shows a complete lack of cultural understanding. However they are tourists and probably lack local knowledge..

In some countries it is considered extremely rude to remove your shoes in someone else's house. This is due to socks being smelly and dirty. So I wonder how many Thai people travel to other countries and take their shoes off when they are not suppose to?

Tourists of all nationalities may become involved in such cultural misunderstandings. Do they deserve to be photographed and posted all over the internet? Probably not and it may also be illegal under the cyber crime act?

The real fault is with the train staff and other passengers. A polite tap on the shoulder and a nice reminder that its impolite to put you feet up in Thailand may have worked. However the shyness and fear of confrontation stops many Thai people from doing so. They are not so afraid of confrontation whilst hiding behind their phones though!

Although Thais are particularly obsessed with the feet, I must admit that a behavior like that would be considered rude and impolite even in Europe and probably elsewhere.

As a child I would have got a slap straight away for putting my feet (with or without shoes) on chairs, tables, sofas, car seats and the like.

That said, picking one's nose or ears, pointing and staring at foreigners in bewilderment are just some of the things most Thais do that I consider really rude to say the least.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:30 AM, claffey said:

Thai people are not shy to talk behind other people's backs (or online). It's not the shyness or fear of confrontation that keeps Thai train staff or passengers from the 'tap on the shoulder', which is a normal reaction in most countries in the world, but the lack of English (the world's lingua franca) and the general unwillingness to communicate with foreigners. Not to mention that some Thai people consider foreigners as: 'khon mai dai' out of decades-old ultra-nationalism and xenophobia. 

Talking about good manners; someone should tell people on the skytrain not  to pick their nose right in front of other people, and hold their hand before their mouth when yawning.

Archived