7 Krabi King cobras reported in one day – 5 captured and released

webfact

7 Krabi King cobras reported in one day – 5 captured and released

“Later that day, we received yet another report about 5 king cobras and we managed to capture 3 of them."

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

210261-%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8

The Ao Luek Rescue Team in Krabi received a report last night (February 20) at 8.30 pm from 23 year old Nutchanart Bangyabyeo, saying that she found a 4 metre king cobra under the dish washing sink.

The team put a snake catcher under the sink and the cobra showed up after 5 minutes. The team tried to capture it up but it took about 10 minutes to take it out of the sink and secure it. That snake has been released back to the forest. The team believe that the cobra might have been chasing a rat which escaped into the house and the cobra followed inside.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/7-krabi-king-cobras-reported-one-day-5-captured-released

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-22

Jeez, Louise.  That is a big snake.

Kudos for the catch and release.  But a quick question- I thought King Cobras only ate other snakes?  In which case, the "chased a rat into the house" theory wouldn't hold water.  (Neither would I if I found that thing under my sink)

On 2/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, Elkski said:

Snake catcher?    

5 in one place?  I guess  there were rats at that pot shop.   That is a big snake.  How deadly are these snakes?    Did they have natural predators 200 years ago?  Today?

This species is capable of delivering a fatal bite and the victim may receive a large quantity of venom with a dose of 200 to 500 mg [4][32][33] up to 7 ml.[10] Engelmann and Obst (1981) list the average venom yield at 420 mg (dry weight).[30] Accordingly, large quantities of antivenommay be needed to reverse the progression of symptoms developed if bitten by a king cobra.[5] The toxins affect the victim's central nervous system, resulting in severe pain, blurred vision, vertigo, drowsiness, and eventually paralysis. If the envenomation is serious, it progresses to cardiovascular collapse, and the victim falls into a coma. Death soon follows due to respiratory failure. Bites from a king cobra may result in a rapid fatality[4][5] which can be as early as 30 minutes after the envenomation.[5][34] The king cobra's envenomation was even recorded to be capable of killing elephants within hours

I think we have humans here 200 year ago, so yes, they did.:sorry:

Archived