Phi Phi's Condition

Billfo

Hi,

My brother is going to go to Phi Phi in April/May and I just wanted to check how Phi Phi is after the Tsunami. I assume its totally rebuilt and is perfectly fine, but thought I'd check before him spending all that money!

And any places in particular that anyone recommends to stay?

Thanks!

Haven't been there myself, but it is common knowledge that big business is squeezing out the old harry the hippy type regime in Phi Phi, boatloads of chineses tourists are shunted in for a quick tour and shunted out again, so the old dream is over and the new nightmare is in its making (if you favour beach huts over concrete monoliths in paradise that is.)

Another essential Thai element destroyed in the name of Thai Baht, support it if you will. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it is fine to travel there now, because of/inspite of the things fisherd3 rightly mentioned. There is still an expanse of derelict ground from the tsunami, but it wont be long before the island is completely rebuilt. In fact it is being rebuilt even higher: you can now see ground up on the hillsides being stripped of forest and levelled, for new resorts presumably. If you want to see Phi Phi in its natural beauty, you'd better go sooner rather than later. The island is pretty much full all the way through the high season, and the prices are matching the demand. Some people say the island is too crowded (News report here) and it is certainly starting to feel that way. But, the beaches are fine, and there is everything you need as a tourist, so your brother should have no problems there - I hope he has a great trip. I go down there a lot - am off there tomorrow with a holdall of clothes for friends; their bar/home burned down on Sunday. That little part of Phi Phi is not doing so well.

• 3 weeks later...

great shame

thought after the tsunasmi that it would be an ideal opportunity to get PP back to the paradise it should be and

leave it properly protected. sadly how naive i was thinking this

why is it asian tourists are so taseteless with liking these concrete monstrosities?